Nexus 7 (2013) Should I buy it?

Search This thread

Rektifying

Aug 26, 2015
Hello,
So I have been looking for a tablet for my son for Christmas. He is only 3 (4 in June) Of course I looked at the Nabi's and Amazon Fire Kids edition, but the price for the specs you get kind of deter me. I can not see purchasing a tablet in 2015 with 1 gb of ram and 8 gb of storage.

So I have been looking at the Nexus 7 (2013). I know there are apps / launchers you can get to give any Android Tablet a kid friendly UI / environment. So I'm not worried about that. With 16 gb storage it will be more than enough to set it up for my son. (I don't plan on putting movies on it, Netflix kid mode is plenty good for that) The quad core processor with 2gb of ram seems like it would be a good performer. A lot of reviews of the Nabi's and Fire Kids tablets mention buggy, freezing up, lagging. I am sure the 1 gb ram contributes to this. Here is what I am looking to get.

Nexus 7
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DV...ds=nexus+7&dpPl=1&dpID=418KVzHTenL&ref=plSrch

Case
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F9...C_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Nexus+7+case&th=0

So, what do you think? This looks like the best Nexus 7 case for a 3 year old to me. Do you think this is a better idea then going with a subpar kids laptop? Also, I know Nabi can end up being a money pit, and they want you to pay for everything. Amazons comes with two year worry free warranty but to me it doesn't make up for it being a slow buggy tablet with crap resolution.

Last edited:

trhacker01

Nov 16, 2015
No idea about the case, looks plenty durable and suitable for rough housing though. As for the nexus, its an outstanding performer- still using mine now and don't want another tablet. It's way more capable than anything a youngster would want it for, handles games very well. I think it's even a bit of overkill for a kid.

The drawback is potential hardware problems- such as various screen touch issues. Asus took shortcuts on assembly. Hit or miss whether it would happen to you, but if it does you're kinda screwed. Some fixes are out there, and good luck trying to get asus or Google to take responsibility- make sure to get the warranty. For example mine goes totally unresponsive sometimes, i have to pop off the back and mess with it to make it work right again. Had it a couple years now and this just started in the past few months.

You could get lucky and never have a problem. If that's the case it's wonderful all around. To me, even with my problem, its far beyond worth the price tag.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

See this thread for more. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2791743

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

ssenemosewa

Mar 17, 2009
I started out with one...and was so impressed that I bought one for each member of my family.

Yes, we are a family of Nexus 7 2013 users. No one has ever had any issues with it. Put it in a reasonable protective case, get a wireless QI charger for it (saves wear and tear on the usb connector...a lesson I learned the hard way on my previous non-Nexus tablet) and your son should be good to go.

Just be careful...you may fall in love with it and decide to keep it for yourself!

Rektifying

Aug 26, 2015
I started out with one...and was so impressed that I bought one for each member of my family.

Yes, we are a family of Nexus 7 2013 users. No one has ever had any issues with it. Put it in a reasonable protective case, get a wireless QI charger for it (saves wear and tear on the usb connector...a lesson I learned the hard way on my previous non-Nexus tablet) and your son should be good to go.

Just be careful...you may fall in love with it and decide to keep it for yourself!

This is exactly what happened! lol. So I got it a few days ago. I got it all updated and everything seems to be great with it. I have had no issues at all. I really took a liking to it. The more I thought about, the more I did realize it was overkill for him. So I decided to keep it for myself. LOL. However, don't look at it as a selfish move. I really did not like any of the apps that turn it into a "kid" tablet. They didn't seem very user friendly, were buggy, and I just didn't like their layouts.

So, I ended up getting him a Nabi Dreamtab instead. Don't worry, he did alright. Specs:
Nabi Dreamtab HD8
8" 1920x1200 IPS Display
Nvidia Tegra 4 Processor
2GB RAM
16GB Storage
4500mah battery
Dual Front Facing Speakers
Built in Stylus

I think he is really going to like it! Not only does it have great specs, the built in stylus played a big part in my decision. The Nabi Art Studio looks pretty sweet with using the stylus.

I really like the Nexus 7 though. I have a brand new 64GB Cloud White Nexus 6 too. I feel it will help with the longevity of my phone. Now, when I am at home I will be on my Nexus 7. So my 6 will be my on the go device (obviously being its my phone) and my 7 will be my at home device. I also have a Nexus Player. LoL.

Just think, two months ago I never owned an Android device. I owned every iPhone from the 3-6 and never seen the need for a tablet. I sold my iPhone 6 / Apple TV and picked up a Nexus 6 / Nexus Player. I have had zero regrets and have not looked back since. I knew when I made the switch it would be for a Nexus, didn't think I would end up with 3. lol

Last edited: