Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,827 Members 53,357 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] custom rom installation - copy zip to sd card?

Tip us?
 
bulmer
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2007
Default [Q] custom rom installation - copy zip to sd card?

I am a bit confused about the process for installing a custom rom as the guides that i've read say to copy the roms zip file to the Nexus' sd card - but it doesn't have one! Where should I copy the zip file to then?
Cheers.
 
mrew42
Old
#2  
mrew42's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 205
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmer View Post
I am a bit confused about the process for installing a custom rom as the guides that i've read say to copy the roms zip file to the Nexus' sd card - but it doesn't have one! Where should I copy the zip file to then?
Cheers.
The internal memory is often referred to as the sdcard. If copying the rom from your PC, your 'sdcard' is what Windows will see. If you're downloading direct to your Nexus it will probably end up in the Download folder.

Phone: HTC One (M8)
Network: Vodafone (UK) 4g
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 GPE Rom & Kernel

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) 32Gb
ROM: Android L

Previous kit:
Nexus 4
HTC Sensation
HTC Desire
Archos 70bIT2
 
bulmer
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 14
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrew42 View Post
The internal memory is often referred to as the sdcard. If copying the rom from your PC, your 'sdcard' is what Windows will see. If you're downloading direct to your Nexus it will probably end up in the Download folder.
Thanks mrew42, that clears that up!
I'm thinking the Towelroot method would be the most straight forward to gain root access but am a bit unsure about the installation sequence for a custom rom afterwards, given that a lot of the guides deal with the earlier methods of rooting. Sorry for the newb questions but the last time I was on this site I was flashing roms to my dell axim....its grown quite a bit here since then!
 
LinearEquation
Old
#4  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 405
Posts: 1,702
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmer View Post
Thanks mrew42, that clears that up!
I'm thinking the Towelroot method would be the most straight forward to gain root access but am a bit unsure about the installation sequence for a custom rom afterwards, given that a lot of the guides deal with the earlier methods of rooting. Sorry for the newb questions but the last time I was on this site I was flashing roms to my dell axim....its grown quite a bit here since then!
Unlock the bootloader, install a us to rom and the flash a SU zip to root. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6k4rCaMPSQ8

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes