Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Snappy enough?

OP t0p8uzz

27th July 2014, 12:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 3

25 posts
More
Got hold a 2013 model (16GB/WIFI), I've put Purity ROM which I believe is running stock kernel. I must admit, I was expecting it to be a little bit snappier, not sure if I am being too harsh on it, having used a Nexus 5 every day since release day. I've uploaded a quick video, does it look about right?

27th July 2014, 01:48 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 81

753 posts
Looks fine to me. What is the problem?
27th July 2014, 04:45 PM   |  #3  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 410

1,716 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0p8uzz

Got hold a 2013 model (16GB/WIFI), I've put Purity ROM which I believe is running stock kernel. I must admit, I was expecting it to be a little bit snappier, not sure if I am being too harsh on it, having used a Nexus 5 every day since release day. I've uploaded a quick video, does it look about right?

Looks fine to me. You can try cutting back on the animations a bit or adding a custom kernel like ElementalX if you want a bit of a boost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
27th July 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leeds

25 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation

Looks fine to me. You can try cutting back on the animations a bit or adding a custom kernel like ElementalX if you want a bit of a boost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

How can I cut back on the animation properly? When i dropped the transitions to .5 in dev mode, my screen went mental and start going red etc
28th July 2014, 03:16 PM   |  #5  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 734

1,828 posts
More
Keep in mind that the Nexus 5 is a different processor. The N5 has a Snapdragon 800 while the N7.2 has a Snapdragon 600.

But aside from that...the tab is moving just fine.
29th July 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #6  
Flag istanbul
Thanks Meter: 104

446 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AarSyl

Keep in mind that the Nexus 5 is a different processor. The N5 has a Snapdragon 800 while the N7.2 has a Snapdragon 600.

But aside from that...the tab is moving just fine.

The CPU difference should not to be seen from the video as it is only showing the UI and app opening experiences. During those times, mostly either the CPU is jumping what's most close higher to 800MHz or GPU is kicking one step up. Either way, running some UI elements or opening app animations on 60 FPS is not forcing neither of the Socs to their max frequencies (I am talking about Snapdragon S600 and S800).

I have watched the video very carefully under different resolutions to make sure of the snappiness. The only part that seems like under 30 FPS is where "app drawer" is called. But that's only because it's a bad animation trick. The best way to make sure the UI is running at (or above) 60FPS is to see how "recent apps" are fading away when "clear recents" button is pressed or scroll up and down thgouth mails (SMSs if it's a phone).

And also enabling "force GPU rendering" and "sdisable hardware overlays" options under develper options will certainly help.
29th July 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #7  
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,007

1,568 posts
More
Yeah, seems about right, you can probably get some more snap out of it by using a kernel that will let you boost the clock a bit. The N7 can at least be boosted to 1.7ghz without even trying, and 2.0 is not unheard of.
29th July 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Leeds

25 posts
More
Thanks for the confirmation fellas ...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread