FORUMS

Is the LG G4’s Camera Really DSLR-worthy?

After months of anticipation, the LG G4 was finally unveiled today, showing off an … more

SuperSU Beta Updates With Minor Fix For Galaxy S6

ChainFire’s root permissions app SuperSU has updated to v.2.49 to fix audits on … more

LG G4 Day Event Coverage: Specs, Features, Design & More!

LG has been teasing us with a countdown for a while now, and today it reached … more

Xposed Modules to Modify Email – XDA Xposed Tuesday

Even though we have Dropbox and other ways to share files, people still want … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Back to KK aftet LP Update via Nandroid

23rd April 2015, 09:37 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I'm wondering if I can use a Nandroid backup to restore KitKat after I flash a Lollipop update in TWRP? I need KK for work apps but wanted to play with LP at home and was just wondering if a person could flip flop back and forth using Nandriod back ups.

Also while reading to research this I saw where people were having issues flashing the LP OTA from KK 4.4.4 via TWRP because of the software was being reported as the wrong version of Android (4.4.3) on the tablet. It appears that this was resolved with the updated version of TWRP so I installed the latest version 2.8.6.0.

So will this work or am I stupid for thinking it would?

thanks,
fasthair

23rd April 2015, 09:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 129

Donate to Me
More
I think just to be safe it would be better to reflash the KK firmware and then restore from the nandroid. I've never tried it, so I could be wrong. I would wait for someone with direct knowledge of the process to chime in so you don't brick.

Obviously you'd need to backup the nandroid data somewhere other than the tablet because it would be wiped when you reflash.

Another option could be using the factory images, assuming you bootloader is already unlocked (probably is if you're rooted/etc). When I upgraded from 4.4.4 to 5.0/5.0.1/5.0.2 I removed the -w flag from the batch file that wipes data. I don't know if you can use factory images to go backwards without wiping. I know you can use the factory images to go back, but not sure if you can do it without wiping.

Again, I'd wait for someone with experience chime in before trying anything if you aren't sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to fury683 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2015, 06:26 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,311

More
You can go back and forth no problem. Just don't mix the system and data partitions. They need to stay together. 4.4 system files with 4.4 data files.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2015, 02:59 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

You can go back and forth no problem. Just don't mix the system and data partitions. They need to stay together. 4.4 system files with 4.4 data files.

Just so I'm clear on this "don't mix data" part. The Nandroid backup will keep these data partitions separate in the separate backup folders if I'm not mistaken correct?

Thanks to both of you for the help.

fasthair
25th April 2015, 06:55 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,311

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasthair

Just so I'm clear on this "don't mix data" part. The Nandroid backup will keep these data partitions separate in the separate backup folders if I'm not mistaken correct?

Thanks to both of you for the help.

fasthair

Yes it will. I meant that if you restore the system partition (from 4.4 to 5.0 or vice versa) that you need to restore data with it (and boot).

If you were on 5.0, and wanted to go back to 4.4, but only did a restore on the system partition, you will probably bootloop.

system, data, boot all must stay together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerowinder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th April 2015, 08:13 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Why not use multirom? Works flawless for me.
Yesterday, 08:30 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Solved
Quote:
Originally Posted by pargas

Why not use multirom? Works flawless for me.

I hadn't really thought about multirom to be honest.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I flashed LP after backing up my stuff. For whatever reason I couldn't get it to flash in TWRP using the update file Google pushed to my device some time back. Even after installing the latest greatest 2.8.6.0 it still came back with the error about the wrong version (4.4.3 in my case) being on my N7. So a fresh flash of LP with a wipe and I'm good to go.

Must admit I kind of like LP all though I'm not crazy about all of the white ever where or how it a takes 3 or 4 clicks to do what was 1 or 2 clicks on KK. Plus Plus I think KK was much better to look at instead of this Material Design UI but it is what it is. Going to have to go hunting around here for a transparent theme for the Google Search so I can have my transparent search bar and app drawer back. Anyone know of one?

Anyway thanks for the help everyone,
fasthair
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread