Galaxy Note 3 Lollipop Leak, Failed Find 5 Update – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has been leaked! That and … more

Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Tried to come back from the Android L preview, now I have a bricked tablet

OP StormConjurer

10th July 2014, 07:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
I was trying out the Android L preview, and decided that I've had my fun and wanted to go back to the ROM I was using. I booted into recovery, and noticed that the stock recovery had been flashed. So, I downloadeed the lasted TWRP and flashed it through fastboot. When I tried to boot into recovery again, it froze at the Google screen. Since I already had everything backed up, I decided to just flash the stock image and try again. This is where the real trouble begins. The flash failed (output below), and now I can't boot into android as well as recovery. I tried a few different images (all from the official site, all marked razor), as well as the Nexus Root Toolkit, and all give me the same error(s).

So, how bad did I mess up?

Code:
C:\Android\razor-ktu84p>fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-flo-flo-04.02.img
sending 'bootloader' (3911 KB)...
OKAY [  0.135s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: Signature mismatched!!!)
finished. total time: 1.024s

C:\Android\razor-ktu84p>fastboot -w update image-razor-ktu84p.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
archive does not contain 'tos.img'
Creating filesystem with parameters:
    Size: 13052653568
    Block size: 4096
    Blocks per group: 32768
    Inodes per group: 8144
    Inode size: 256
    Journal blocks: 32768
    Label:
    Blocks: 3186683
    Block groups: 98
    Reserved block group size: 783
Created filesystem with 11/798112 inodes and 90699/3186683 blocks
Creating filesystem with parameters:
    Size: 587202560
    Block size: 4096
    Blocks per group: 32768
    Inodes per group: 7168
    Inode size: 256
    Journal blocks: 2240
    Label:
    Blocks: 143360
    Block groups: 5
    Reserved block group size: 39
Created filesystem with 11/35840 inodes and 4616/143360 blocks
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: FLO-04.02
Baseband Version.....: none
Serial Number........: 09f8f0db
--------------------------------------------
checking product...
OKAY [  0.004s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [  0.006s]
sending 'boot' (7050 KB)...
OKAY [  0.234s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.308s]
sending 'recovery' (7598 KB)...
OKAY [  0.256s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.340s]
erasing 'system'...
OKAY [  0.126s]
sending 'system' (736772 KB)...
OKAY [ 23.632s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote: Unknown chunk type)
finished. total time: 25.676s
10th July 2014, 07:45 PM   |  #2  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,077
 
1,679 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
That error is usually due to an incompatible fastboot, first try doing a: fastboot erase system

...then try to flash system.img manually again.

Make sure you have the newest fastboot, one that is new as Android L bootloader.

NOTE: DO NOT erase bootloader! This will hardbrick you.

BTW, this is one of the reasons why I use multirom!
Last edited by mdamaged; 10th July 2014 at 07:54 PM.
10th July 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged

That error is usually due to an incompatible fastboot, first try doing a: fastboot erase system

...then try to flash system.img manually again.

Make sure you have the newest fastboot, one that is new as Android L bootloader.

NOTE: DO NOT erase bootloader! This will hardbrick you.

BTW, this is one of the reasons why I use multirom!

The only img file I have is the bootloader. Is what what you mean?

Also, that seems like a tool I should really have.
10th July 2014, 08:24 PM   |  #4  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,077
 
1,679 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormConjurer

The only img file I have is the bootloader. Is what what you mean?

Also, that seems like a tool I should really have.

I assume you have the factory image for your old rom, in that package there is a zip file, if you extract it, you will find, among others, a img file named system.img. This is one of the files that is failing to flash.

The bootloader image is failing to flash because it is older than the one that is on there now (the Android L one), so fastboot does not recognize that new Android L bootloader because it expects one of the pre-L bootloaders, so you may have to grab the developers SDK and use that fastboot so it will recognize the newer bootloader.
12th July 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged

I assume you have the factory image for your old rom, in that package there is a zip file, if you extract it, you will find, among others, a img file named system.img. This is one of the files that is failing to flash.

The bootloader image is failing to flash because it is older than the one that is on there now (the Android L one), so fastboot does not recognize that new Android L bootloader because it expects one of the pre-L bootloaders, so you may have to grab the developers SDK and use that fastboot so it will recognize the newer bootloader.


I installed the SDK platform for Android L through the SDK manager, but I'm still getting the exact same error.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that even if I try to flash the L preview, I still get the same error.
12th July 2014, 06:26 PM   |  #6  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag South of Heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,077
 
1,679 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormConjurer

I installed the SDK platform for Android L through the SDK manager, but I'm still getting the exact same error.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that even if I try to flash the L preview, I still get the same error.

Well, have you tried this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2381582

Read the whole OP, you can and should obviously skip the relocking of the bootloader.

Try the Recovery_Nexus7.bat first, if that fails then goto the Dead_Nexus7.bat.

It probably will get you nowhere, but it's worth a shot, obviously if it works, it will wipe everything and put it back to factory.
Last edited by mdamaged; 12th July 2014 at 06:28 PM.
16th July 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #7  
mhannigan's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Providence
Thanks Meter: 80
 
217 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Donate to Me
More
I solved this simply... By using Nexus Root Toolkit and using Flash Stock and Unroot. Went back to 4.4.4, but you can flash back to any version this way. It will download the ROM you want and flash it with you I having to do basically nothing.

If you are in a boot loop, there's an option for that right under the flash stock and unroot option.
17th July 2014, 05:51 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Sorry for the absence. Had a busy few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged

Well, have you tried this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2381582

Read the whole OP, you can and should obviously skip the relocking of the bootloader.

Try the Recovery_Nexus7.bat first, if that fails then goto the Dead_Nexus7.bat.

It probably will get you nowhere, but it's worth a shot, obviously if it works, it will wipe everything and put it back to factory.

Nope, same results as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhannigan

I solved this simply... By using Nexus Root Toolkit and using Flash Stock and Unroot. Went back to 4.4.4, but you can flash back to any version this way. It will download the ROM you want and flash it with you I having to do basically nothing.

If you are in a boot loop, there's an option for that right under the flash stock and unroot option.

Like I said in the first post, Nexus Root Toolkit is one of the methods I tried. There's an option to force flash, but I've been trying to avoid that, since it warns of hard bricking the device. I'm quickly running out of options though.

Update: Tried again with force mode turned on. No change in the results.
Last edited by StormConjurer; 17th July 2014 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Update

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes