[Q] Unfortunately, Google Keyboard Has Stopped

OP phoophan@gmail.com

18th August 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
More
A few months ago I decided to try and root my Nexus 7 (2013) tablet. At this time I simply cannot remember what process I used but all I know is that everytime I try to power it on the system start screen comes on where it asks what country you're in and so forth. But I also get the following Pop Up Error message "Unfortunately, Google Keyboard Has Stopped" and an "OK" button. When I click on OK the error message simply pops back up in a never ending loop. It stops at the SELECT WI-FI screen and won't let me input the access code because of the Pop Up Error message.

Does anyone have any idea how to completely wipe the system and bring it back to stock or just to the point I can do "anything"?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Last edited by phoophan@gmail.com; 18th August 2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Bad writing
18th August 2014, 01:31 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

90 posts
Boot into fastboot by holding volume down and power while the tablet is off. Scroll through the options with volume keys. When you see the option recovery mode at the top of the screen, press power. This will boot you into recovery. From there, there will be several option. One of which should be a hard reset. navigate using the volume keys. You should be OK from here.

sent from my nex7
18th August 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

14 posts
More
Thank you for your reply but unfortunately this doesn't work. It puts me right back to where I always end up and still get the Error Message stated above.
19th August 2014, 08:30 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

14 posts
More
I've been working on this for a few hours now and nothing! It basically says I don't have a Keyboard installed after I do anything. If I Factory reset it I get the same Error Message about no keyboard.

Any ideas? PLEASE HELP!
20th August 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #5  

90 posts
That is really weird. Do you have a custom recovery installed? Custom ROM? Does the computer find it? because flashing a stock image may be the way to go from here.

sent from my nex7
20th August 2014, 01:30 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

14 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugzylol

That is really weird. Do you have a custom recovery installed? Custom ROM? Does the computer find it? because flashing a stock image may be the way to go from here.

sent from my nex7

Thank you for your reply. I greatly appreciate you taking the time. I am at wits end at this point and simply need it to run again. Can you talk me through loading whatever to get it back to new? I'll take anything at this point. Everything is backed up so I have nothing to lose. How can I load the original image? (non rooted)

Thank you!
20th August 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #7  

90 posts
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING IF IT GOES WRONG (it should not go wrong though)

First you will need an image. Search for a stock 2013 nexus 7 image. Than you will need to download google USB drivers :

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Than install them by opening the device manager program which is installed by default on any windows computer. Plug your tablet in, right click it in device manager and press update driver software and browse for the driver you downloaded. Than install it.

Now that that is done download the android SDK.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Extract just the SDK folder (the other parts are not needed) and enter it once extracted. Click on the platform tools folder, hold shift and right click. Click on

"open new command window here"

Now put your tablet into fastboot mode. Type
"fastboot devices" in the command window. If there is something that shows up this means that your tablet is recognized.

Now type "fastboot OEM unlock" in the command window. Select yes on your tablet with volume keys and click power on your tablet. Than it will run through the unlock bootloader practice. This will erase all content on the tablet. It may take a bit.

Once that is done, put your image in the tablets internal storage.

Now download the latest twrp for your device.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/193

Press download latest .img

Now, put your twrp image in the platform tools folder and name it something easy to type. Now, in the command window type:

Fastboot boot (name of your twrp here).IMG

This will boot into twrp. It will not install it.

Now, in twrp press install and browse for your image (must be a .zip file) and flash it. If all goes well than reboot your system. If there is a problem try another image.

You do not need to unlock bootloader or install drivers again. Just boot back in to twrp and flash another image (if it goes wrong)
Last edited by mugzylol; 20th August 2014 at 02:09 PM.
21st August 2014, 11:14 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Los Angeles

14 posts
More
Stuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugzylol

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING IF IT GOES WRONG (it should not go wrong though)

First you will need an image. Search for a stock 2013 nexus 7 image. Than you will need to download google USB drivers :

http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html

Than install them by opening the device manager program which is installed by default on any windows computer. Plug your tablet in, right click it in device manager and press update driver software and browse for the driver you downloaded. Than install it.

Now that that is done download the android SDK.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Extract just the SDK folder (the other parts are not needed) and enter it once extracted. Click on the platform tools folder, hold shift and right click. Click on

"open new command window here"

Now put your tablet into fastboot mode. Type
"fastboot devices" in the command window. If there is something that shows up this means that your tablet is recognized.

Now type "fastboot OEM unlock" in the command window. Select yes on your tablet with volume keys and click power on your tablet. Than it will run through the unlock bootloader practice. This will erase all content on the tablet. It may take a bit.

Once that is done, put your image in the tablets internal storage.

Now download the latest twrp for your device.

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/193

Press download latest .img

Now, put your twrp image in the platform tools folder and name it something easy to type. Now, in the command window type:

Fastboot boot (name of your twrp here).IMG

This will boot into twrp. It will not install it.

Now, in twrp press install and browse for your image (must be a .zip file) and flash it. If all goes well than reboot your system. If there is a problem try another image.

You do not need to unlock bootloader or install drivers again. Just boot back in to twrp and flash another image (if it goes wrong)

OK, a couple of things;

1. I'm using a MacBook Pro. Does this make any difference? (It says I don't have to download any drivers using a Mac but other than that is there any differences?)

2. I'm stuck at ..... Extract just the SDK folder (the other parts are not needed) and enter it once extracted. Click on the platform tools folder, hold shift and right click. Click on "open new command window here". Now put your tablet into fastboot mode. Type "fastboot devices" in the command window. If there is something that shows up this means that your tablet is recognized.

Everything I do doesn't work. When I hold down Shift and Right-Click on the Platform Tools Folder I do not see "open new command window here". Is this the "platform-tools folder under the SDK folder?
21st August 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #9  

90 posts
Do you have any windows computers because this will not work without one

sent from my nex7

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

This is because Mac computers do not execute batch scripts and the fastboot commands are made to execute through a command prompt rather than a Linux terminal

sent from my nex7
21st August 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #10  

90 posts
I honestly made this way too complicated. Just run through setup without using the keyboard. Find an unprotected network (like McDonald's) that works and find a way to get your hands on an apk of any keyboard and install it. I'm not quite sure how you can get a download link to a keyboard with no account (yet) and no keyboard but there must be a way. Its a simple issue that causes so many problems. So in a nutshell, if you can find a way to install an apk of any keyboard, your good

sent from my nex7

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
error message, google keyboard
Previous Thread Next Thread