Made Lollipop Usable -> Disable Account Sync

Search This thread

ykphuah

Dec 17, 2009
Somehow over the weekend, thought about disabling the Account Sync, yeah, mail, chrome, keyboard, and my Nexus 7 with Lollipop is usable again! Faster access to Chrome and Keyboard especially!

Nothing else I have tried that I have found online works.

My tablet is not my main device, so its fine to manual sync a lot of things.

fr4nk1yn

Aug 1, 2008
Norfolk
Indeed. Chrome is the biggest problem. I removed every Google app that wasn't needed and flashed an OC kernel and it's "great".

princeasi

Sep 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Somehow over the weekend, thought about disabling the Account Sync, yeah, mail, chrome, keyboard, and my Nexus 7 with Lollipop is usable again! Faster access to Chrome and Keyboard especially!

I just discovered this over the past couple days. I disabled only a few services from Google account sync and it definitely made my nexus 7 usable again!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2014
Portland
Yup! totally un-usable with android 5.0 I'm Using android 4.4.4 and now have a working tablet. After a week or two of usage i'm having to clear cache. Then it's back to snappy normal self. Does Google Know This?

Boldie90

Jul 13, 2013
Nijkerk
Seems to work for me!
But it cannot prevent me for trying CM ;)
Thanks though for sharing your discovery.

It's still a very nice tablet, but JB was for me the best Android Experience.
Since 4.3 and higher I was quite disappointed because the laggy system.

dharmaburning

Dec 31, 2015
With animations turned off (don't need em) and system upgrade cache cleared, my lollipop has been running like a brand new device with no other special tweaks. Of course almost nothing affects chrome, but let's not go there. I mostly use Adblock browser these days.

Last edited:

tyler999

May 4, 2013
paris
on lollipop and marshmalow i had lot of freeze but since i flashed the new twrp 3.0 my nexus grouper run like a charm on marshmalow .

1T TAB

Jan 9, 2014

Well this trick does work but it still lags sometimes even with the account syn off.I also tried a couple of performance boosting apps like root booster and trimmer and the no animation settings in devloper options but it didn't really become faster.
After being frustrated by the slowness of my Nexus 7, i rooted it with Kingroot and converted it to SuperSU through android emulator, unlocked the bootloader and flashed Slimkat 4.4.4 and boom! the smooth experience is back.It's not so up to date(Kitkat 4.4.4) but the main thing is it's fast and stable.

wutzin

Feb 27, 2012
Yup! totally un-usable with android 5.0 I'm Using android 4.4.4 and now have a working tablet. After a week or two of usage i'm having to clear cache. Then it's back to snappy normal self. Does Google Know This?

So did you you find a 4.4 ROM that is not affected by the stagefright security hole? I wasn't able to find anything (at least not for the Tilapia/3G version).
I'd rather throw out an unresponsive tablet than to run it with an operating system that has seen the last security updates in 2014 and that can be hacked by simply playing back an MP3 or MP4 file!

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
So did you you find a 4.4 ROM that is not affected by the stagefright security hole? I wasn't able to find anything (at least not for the Tilapia/3G version).
I'd rather throw out an unresponsive tablet than to run it with an operating system that has seen the last security updates in 2014 and that can be hacked by simply playing back an MP3 or MP4 file!

This unofficial CM11 build is great with all the latest security fixes and is being updated by the dev each month. Unfortunately no build for the tilapia ( unless you want to flash and lose 3G).

LInk:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/development/unofficial-build-cyanogenmod-11-0-nexus-t3174831

Last edited:

wutzin

Feb 27, 2012
This unofficial CM11 build is great with all the latest security fixes and is being updated by the dev each month. Unfortunately no build for the tilapia ( unless you want to flash and lose 3G).

LInk:
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-7/development/unofficial-build-cyanogenmod-11-0-nexus-t3174831

That's the one I found that was Grouper only - didn't realize I could just flash it and only lose 3G. Thanks for that info!
I guess I will give CM13 a quick shot, and then say goodbye to 3G ;)

Reactions: xlyz

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
That's the one I found that was Grouper only - didn't realize I could just flash it and only lose 3G. Thanks for that info!

I think you need to make a few changes in the updater script to flash on the tilapia as per the steps below and you should be good to go. I also recommend changing the number of background processes to 4 under developer settings. It really makes everything snappy and switching betweens apps lag free. It may restrict switching between lots and lots of apps but I generally find I only want to switch between the last 2/3 apps anyway.

I run the unofficial CM11 as my main rom on multirom, I've also downloaded GtrCraft's CM13 to try out but havent installed yet.

1. Unzip the rom
2. Go to folder META-INF/com/google/android/
3. Edit updater-script with text editor
4. Change all "grouper" with "tilapia"
5. Save it
6. Zip the rom again

Reactions: wutzin

wutzin

Feb 27, 2012
I think you need to make a few changes in the updater script to flash on the tilapia as per the steps below and you should be good to go. I also recommend changing the number of background processes to 4 under developer settings. It really makes everything snappy and switching betweens apps lag free. It may restrict switching between lots and lots of apps but I generally find I only want to switch between the last 2/3 apps anyway.

I run the unofficial CM11 as my main rom on multirom, I've also downloaded GtrCraft's CM13 to try out but havent installed yet.

1. Unzip the rom
5. Save it
6. Zip the rom again

Thanks so much for your tips!!!
To anyone following these instructions to patch the grouper rom for flashing on the tilapia, I have one little addition: in step 4, don't change ALL "grouper" to "tilapia", but only the instances at the beginning of the file. There is one statement later in the file that you should leave unchanged: set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib/hw/power.grouper.so", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0");

Reactions: gsmyth

gsmyth

Dec 16, 2010
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Redmi Note 9
To anyone following these instructions to patch the grouper rom for flashing on the tilapia, I have one little addition: in step 4, don't change ALL "grouper" to "tilapia", but only the instances at the beginning of the file. There is one statement later in the file that you should leave unchanged: set_metadata("/system/vendor/lib/hw/power.grouper.so", "uid", 0, "gid", 0, "mode", 0644, "capabilities", 0x0, "selabel", "u:eek:bject_r:system_file:s0");

Thank you for the detailed instructions, I really only passed on the info that was already in the thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

LInk:

1. Unzip the rom
    5. Save it
    6. Zip the rom again

1. Unzip the rom
    5. Save it
    6. Zip the rom again