Gesture Typing Not Working

Search This thread
T

tomb20

After updating to 4.2 I went to check out the new gesture typing feature.
Unfortunately, when I went to a text box to try it out, nothing happened. :(

I've checked to make sure that it is enabled in the settings. I've also cleared the keyboard data & cache.

Anyone else have this problem?

Reactions: sajalsh25
T

tomb20

Just realised, if I create another user account on the tablet. Gesture typing works on that account.
However, I still cant get it to work on the main 'owner' account.

Has no-one else had this problem when they updated?

RaySorian

Jul 7, 2010
Houston
Just realised, if I create another user account on the tablet. Gesture typing works on that account.

Okay, I am going to start from the beginning, if you have done any of this already, sorry for repeating it.

First, you need to have the setting enabled so go to Settings - Language & Input - Android keyboard settings icon.
Under there under Gesture typing, check enable gesture typing.

In whatever program you want to use gesture typing, bring up the keyboard like normal, go to the notification window.
Select choose input method and switch it to android keyboard (if it isn't already default).
It should switch keyboards (again if android keyboard wasn't already default), now you can have fun playing with the new keyboard.

Last edited:
I

iiro

I think it only works if your language is US English. Might be wrong though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Gurra_c

Jun 30, 2011
In the keyboard setting add the correct additional dictionary for your language. In my case the Swedish and it works.

D

Deleted member 4100142

In the keyboard setting add the correct additional dictionary for your language. In my case the Swedish and it works.

Might be a stupid question, but where do you find the Swedish add-on dictionary? The only Nordic dictionary I've got access to, is the Norwegian and I need the Danish.

Edit: Never mind, it appeared after a refresh of the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tomb20

Just found a solution.

If you change the language, and then change it back, it works.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Reactions: jaibar and filip990

m3nster

Sep 21, 2009
Amsterdam
Just found a solution.

I got this problem, on English gesture typing works, but on Dutch (my native language) it doesnt work.. all settings enabled, tried to diable English, than still no gesture on Dutch..

Any ideas?

Oscar-Mark

May 14, 2012
Sweden
Sv: Gesture Typing Not Working

At first only US English works, but all languages on a second account, but after a while it works for other languages.

Maybe it needs some kind of dictionary first, to work.

Otherwise try Kii Keyboard, it has gesture input and is really customizable. (Looks like stock)

spupuz

Feb 2, 2008
Milan
actually it's not working in my galaxy nexus too and i can't uderstand how to solve the problem :(

ermacwins

Aug 25, 2009
actually it's not working in my galaxy nexus too and i can't uderstand how to solve the problem :(

Im having the same problem on my nexus 4 no matter what rom I try, though the one from play store works. I use the keyboard in cm due to extra functions. Tried with fresh wipe and install no gapps installed and after gapps

fizik2112

Jun 19, 2011
enable gesture typing not working

Im having the same problem on my nexus 4 no matter what rom I try, though the one from play store works. I use the keyboard in cm due to extra functions. Tried with fresh wipe and install no gapps installed and after gapps

Toro here, an updated flash of gapps did the trick after all else failed for me. Apparently, the added feature of the gesture typing belongs to Google. Not sure if this helps, I lost the gesture after I flashed to 4.3.

C

cimbrum

No gesture here

Toro here, an updated flash of gapps did the trick after all else failed for me. Apparently, the added feature of the gesture typing belongs to Google. Not sure if this helps, I lost the gesture after I flashed to 4.3.

In deed! I think it's belong to Google! I updated to 4.3 and Gesture Typing is not working... :(

Erik@Sea

Jun 21, 2013
gesture typing in some language not working

First of all you need the google keyboard. In my case I had english as the main language of the os, but wanted to use dutch, german and french as well. I found that Dutch didn't have gesture typing.

If you have that and you find your language is not gesture enabled and you're sure you've set it correctly (see previous posts). Change the system language to the language you need and wait a bit (you should have an internet connection). Some additional stuff will be downloaded. Then try if gesture typing in that language is working. If so, problem solved! set system back to original language and gesture typing should still work in the other language.

Sertelegger

Feb 3, 2015
I had this same issue after flashing a custom Lollipop ROM onto my device and couldn't get gesture typing to work no matter what I tried, until I found a solution that worked for me:

My ROM came with a keyboard called "Android Keyboard (AOSP)" which looks exactly like the Google keyboard and has all the same settings for gesture typing etc. except that gesture typing didn't work. When I installed the actual "Google Keyboard" app from Google Play and set that as my default keyboard, gesture typing started working!

So if you can't get it to work, make sure you have the real Google Keyboard app from Google Play installed, there seems to be a difference between that and the one that ships with the ROM.

lfuentes

Nov 5, 2013
almost the same problem here!

Hi, a few days ago I´ve revert from CM12 to CM11, I formated /system /data /everything! And gesture typing not worked anymore (before upgrading to CM12 it was working on CM11 M12). No matter what language I select gesture typing does not work.
Then get back to Stock, full stock! Then I rooted, blah blah, and installed CM again. And NOTHING!
Any idea?

spectas

Jul 28, 2012
(...) When I installed the actual "Google Keyboard" app from Google Play and set that as my default keyboard, gesture typing started working! (...)
Thanks a lot! You solved it for me! In my case I installed a Cyanogenmod ROM plus a Google Apps package from opengapps.org which is called "Pico - The bare minimum to get Google Play functionality.". Apparently the gesture "Google Keyboard" was not part of this package and thanks to you I just installed it and it works now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Okay, I am going to start from the beginning, if you have done any of this already, sorry for repeating it.

First, you need to have the setting enabled so go to Settings - Language & Input - Android keyboard settings icon.
    Under there under Gesture typing, check enable gesture typing.

In whatever program you want to use gesture typing, bring up the keyboard like normal, go to the notification window.
    Select choose input method and switch it to android keyboard (if it isn't already default).
    It should switch keyboards (again if android keyboard wasn't already default), now you can have fun playing with the new keyboard.
    T
    tomb20
    Just found a solution.

T
    tomb20
    After updating to 4.2 I went to check out the new gesture typing feature.
    Unfortunately, when I went to a text box to try it out, nothing happened. :(

I've checked to make sure that it is enabled in the settings. I've also cleared the keyboard data & cache.

Anyone else have this problem?