Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,349 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Device serial based on WiFi MAC address?

Tip us?

ritzxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Default [Q] Device serial based on WiFi MAC address?

Hi guys, not sure if this is a silly question as I guess WiFi cards etc can be changed and what not. However, I've had my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet stolen. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the serial number so can't get it listed in the databases that Police/Pawn shops check here in New Zealand. I do have the WiFi MAC address from my router though. So my question is, is there a way to find the serial number based on this? Just trying my luck. Thanks.

ritzxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzxda View Post
Hi guys, not sure if this is a silly question as I guess WiFi cards etc can be changed and what not. However, I've had my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet stolen. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the serial number so can't get it listed in the databases that Police/Pawn shops check here in New Zealand. I do have the WiFi MAC address from my router though. So my question is, is there a way to find the serial number based on this? Just trying my luck. Thanks.
Sorry to bump but is there really no way?

wantabe
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Sorry to bump but is there really no way?
You don't still have the box? As far as I can tell the mac address has never changed on any of my devices, even after flashing factory images or what not.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!
The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ritzxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
You don't still have the box? As far as I can tell the mac address has never changed on any of my devices, even after flashing factory images or what not.
Thanks. No don't have the boxes. Just really want to somehow find out more info about the thieves really. Frustrated that I didn't have any protection software installed on them Lesson learnt I guess!

wantabe
Old
(Last edited by wantabe; 6th July 2014 at 09:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Thanks. No don't have the boxes. Just really want to somehow find out more info about the thieves really. Frustrated that I didn't have any protection software installed on them Lesson learnt I guess!
Of course you have protection software on your N7. Android Device Manager. Did you set it up? Don't knnow if there is any way to correlate the mac address to a serial number without contacting ASUS, if they would even be willing to do it.
"Don't confuse me with facts, I've already made up my mind!"

AT&T HTC One X - 4.2.2 CleanROM-odexed/Xposed/ElementalX
Nexus 5 32GB
Nexus 7 32GB (2013)
Nexus 4 8GB-Moved to Better Home!
Nexus 7 16GB-Moved to Better Home!.
Nexus 7 32GB-Moved to Better Home!