Post Reply

[Q] Device serial based on WiFi MAC address?

OP ritzxda

1st July 2014, 05:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
188 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Hi guys, not sure if this is a silly question as I guess WiFi cards etc can be changed and what not. However, I've had my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet stolen. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the serial number so can't get it listed in the databases that Police/Pawn shops check here in New Zealand. I do have the WiFi MAC address from my router though. So my question is, is there a way to find the serial number based on this? Just trying my luck. Thanks.
5th July 2014, 05:40 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
188 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzxda

Hi guys, not sure if this is a silly question as I guess WiFi cards etc can be changed and what not. However, I've had my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet stolen. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the serial number so can't get it listed in the databases that Police/Pawn shops check here in New Zealand. I do have the WiFi MAC address from my router though. So my question is, is there a way to find the serial number based on this? Just trying my luck. Thanks.

Sorry to bump but is there really no way?
5th July 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 164
 
426 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzxda

Sorry to bump but is there really no way?

You don't still have the box? As far as I can tell the mac address has never changed on any of my devices, even after flashing factory images or what not.
The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2014, 09:28 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
188 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

You don't still have the box? As far as I can tell the mac address has never changed on any of my devices, even after flashing factory images or what not.

Thanks. No don't have the boxes. Just really want to somehow find out more info about the thieves really. Frustrated that I didn't have any protection software installed on them Lesson learnt I guess!
6th July 2014, 09:34 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 164
 
426 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzxda

Thanks. No don't have the boxes. Just really want to somehow find out more info about the thieves really. Frustrated that I didn't have any protection software installed on them Lesson learnt I guess!

Of course you have protection software on your N7. Android Device Manager. Did you set it up? Don't knnow if there is any way to correlate the mac address to a serial number without contacting ASUS, if they would even be willing to do it.
Last edited by wantabe; 6th July 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 7 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank