Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Need help with soft-bricked nexus7- tried [GUIDE] factory image flash w/ fastboot

OP directlyobservable

17th August 2014, 07:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
So I tried using this guide [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796[/ to URL] to return my soft bricked nexus 7 to stock but it was to no avail. Basically my nexus (rooted w/out using toolkit) got screwed up after trying to do the 4.44 update using a toolkit (wugfresh) and I am stuck in the bootloader loop. The guide was going well until I got to step 5 (device was not going into fastboot mode).Note about drivers: I downloaded and installed the drivers through device manager (plugging in the device didn't install them). Anyway if anyone can give me advice on how I can resolve this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
18th August 2014, 05:31 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 38

161 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by directlyobservable

So I tried using this guide [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796[/ to URL] to return my soft bricked nexus 7 to stock but it was to no avail. Basically my nexus (rooted w/out using toolkit) got screwed up after trying to do the 4.44 update using a toolkit (wugfresh) and I am stuck in the bootloader loop. The guide was going well until I got to step 5 (device was not going into fastboot mode).Note about drivers: I downloaded and installed the drivers through device manager (plugging in the device didn't install them). Anyway if anyone can give me advice on how I can resolve this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

i already had the drivers installed via wugfresh but i tried to update a new/refurbished 7 and got that 1/2 google, 1/2 fastboot image bootloop.
tried 3 times, re downloaded factory image etc. it kept saying something like bootloader mismatch, had the wrong bootloader etc.
so i downloaded the 4.2.2 factory image and flashed it in the "back to stock""flash stock/unroot" with the "softbrick/bootloop" button checked.
you must be in fastboot mood to do this and as long as you can get to fastboot mode you can fix it some way.
4.2.2 worked and then it OTAed it self to 4.4.4 [ i then flashed the 4.4.4 factory image just to make sure it was fixed [it was]]
the other thing i was going to try but never got to was a factory reset in stock recovery
18th August 2014, 06:10 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodesteel

i already had the drivers installed via wugfresh but i tried to update a new/refurbished 7 and got that 1/2 google, 1/2 fastboot image bootloop.
tried 3 times, re downloaded factory image etc. it kept saying something like bootloader mismatch, had the wrong bootloader etc.
so i downloaded the 4.2.2 factory image and flashed it in the "back to stock""flash stock/unroot" with the "softbrick/bootloop" button checked.
you must be in fastboot mood to do this and as long as you can get to fastboot mode you can fix it some way.
4.2.2 worked and then it OTAed it self to 4.4.4 [ i then flashed the 4.4.4 factory image just to make sure it was fixed [it was]]
the other thing i was going to try but never got to was a factory reset in stock recovery

Thanks, the thing is that wugfresh was not actually installed (I think) and I'm not sure how to get into fastboot at this point. Anyway if you (or anyone else) has advice on what I should do that would be greatly appreciated.
18th August 2014, 07:26 AM   |  #4  

161 posts
Quote:

Thanks, the thing is that wugfresh was not actually installed (I think) and I'm not sure how to get into fastboot at this point. Anyway if you (or anyone else) has advice on what I should do that would be greatly appreciated.

power off [keep holding power button till it goes off]
hold volume down button AND power button
18th August 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:

power off [keep holding power button till it goes off]
hold volume down button AND power button

I really appreciate the quick reply.
But wait, if the factory images aren't loaded you would still try to get into fastboot mode?
Also what would be my next step if holding down the buttons doesn't do anything?

Thanks again.
19th August 2014, 05:29 AM   |  #6  

161 posts
Quote:

I really appreciate the quick reply.
But wait, if the factory images aren't loaded you would still try to get into fastboot mode?
Also what would be my next step if holding down the buttons doesn't do anything?

Thanks again.

fast boot mode is your only option keep trying
19th August 2014, 06:35 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:

fast boot mode is your only option keep trying

Thanks again, I've just tried 3x now and I'm still in the bootloop. On the dead android screen (and below the dead android) the following is listed:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME-grouper
VARIANT- grouper
MW version- ER5
BOOTLOADER VERSION-4.23
BASEBAND VERSION- N/A
SERIAL NUMBER-#
SIGNING- not defined yet
LOCK STATE- UNLOCKED

It states it's in fastboot mode but when I input start or recovery mode "Booting failed" is the output. Is there something really dumb that I've missed or done? Any advice on what I should do is once again greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
19th August 2014, 07:02 AM   |  #8  

161 posts
Quote:

Thanks again, I've just tried 3x now and I'm still in the bootloop. On the dead android screen (and below the dead android) the following is listed:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME-grouper
VARIANT- grouper
MW version- ER5
BOOTLOADER VERSION-4.23
BASEBAND VERSION- N/A
SERIAL NUMBER-#
SIGNING- not defined yet
LOCK STATE- UNLOCKED

It states it's in fastboot mode but when I input start or recovery mode "Booting failed" is the output. Is there something really dumb that I've missed or done? Any advice on what I should do is once again greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

maybe its in fast boot mode
plug into pc and try to flash 4.2.2 factory image with toolkit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nex.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	2903224  
19th August 2014, 07:11 AM   |  #9  

161 posts
http://gametipcenter.com/nexus-7-how...-recovery-mode

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-to...ed-it-0145541/
19th August 2014, 08:21 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Thanks again, will try. Quick question though is that if you didn't have wug's previously installed will you be able to flash the images?

Thanks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread