Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,144 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help with soft-bricked nexus7- tried [GUIDE] factory image flash w/ fastboot

Tip us?

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Need help with soft-bricked nexus7- tried [GUIDE] factory image flash w/ fastboot

So I tried using this guide [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796[/ to URL] to return my soft bricked nexus 7 to stock but it was to no avail. Basically my nexus (rooted w/out using toolkit) got screwed up after trying to do the 4.44 update using a toolkit (wugfresh) and I am stuck in the bootloader loop. The guide was going well until I got to step 5 (device was not going into fastboot mode).Note about drivers: I downloaded and installed the drivers through device manager (plugging in the device didn't install them). Anyway if anyone can give me advice on how I can resolve this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

norwoodesteel
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by directlyobservable View Post
So I tried using this guide [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796"]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907796[/ to URL] to return my soft bricked nexus 7 to stock but it was to no avail. Basically my nexus (rooted w/out using toolkit) got screwed up after trying to do the 4.44 update using a toolkit (wugfresh) and I am stuck in the bootloader loop. The guide was going well until I got to step 5 (device was not going into fastboot mode).Note about drivers: I downloaded and installed the drivers through device manager (plugging in the device didn't install them). Anyway if anyone can give me advice on how I can resolve this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
i already had the drivers installed via wugfresh but i tried to update a new/refurbished 7 and got that 1/2 google, 1/2 fastboot image bootloop.
tried 3 times, re downloaded factory image etc. it kept saying something like bootloader mismatch, had the wrong bootloader etc.
so i downloaded the 4.2.2 factory image and flashed it in the "back to stock""flash stock/unroot" with the "softbrick/bootloop" button checked.
you must be in fastboot mood to do this and as long as you can get to fastboot mode you can fix it some way.
4.2.2 worked and then it OTAed it self to 4.4.4 [ i then flashed the 4.4.4 factory image just to make sure it was fixed [it was]]
the other thing i was going to try but never got to was a factory reset in stock recovery

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodesteel View Post
i already had the drivers installed via wugfresh but i tried to update a new/refurbished 7 and got that 1/2 google, 1/2 fastboot image bootloop.
tried 3 times, re downloaded factory image etc. it kept saying something like bootloader mismatch, had the wrong bootloader etc.
so i downloaded the 4.2.2 factory image and flashed it in the "back to stock""flash stock/unroot" with the "softbrick/bootloop" button checked.
you must be in fastboot mood to do this and as long as you can get to fastboot mode you can fix it some way.
4.2.2 worked and then it OTAed it self to 4.4.4 [ i then flashed the 4.4.4 factory image just to make sure it was fixed [it was]]
the other thing i was going to try but never got to was a factory reset in stock recovery
Thanks, the thing is that wugfresh was not actually installed (I think) and I'm not sure how to get into fastboot at this point. Anyway if you (or anyone else) has advice on what I should do that would be greatly appreciated.

norwoodesteel
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Thanks, the thing is that wugfresh was not actually installed (I think) and I'm not sure how to get into fastboot at this point. Anyway if you (or anyone else) has advice on what I should do that would be greatly appreciated.
power off [keep holding power button till it goes off]
hold volume down button AND power button

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
power off [keep holding power button till it goes off]
hold volume down button AND power button
I really appreciate the quick reply.
But wait, if the factory images aren't loaded you would still try to get into fastboot mode?
Also what would be my next step if holding down the buttons doesn't do anything?

Thanks again.

norwoodesteel
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
I really appreciate the quick reply.
But wait, if the factory images aren't loaded you would still try to get into fastboot mode?
Also what would be my next step if holding down the buttons doesn't do anything?

Thanks again.
fast boot mode is your only option keep trying

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
fast boot mode is your only option keep trying
Thanks again, I've just tried 3x now and I'm still in the bootloop. On the dead android screen (and below the dead android) the following is listed:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME-grouper
VARIANT- grouper
MW version- ER5
BOOTLOADER VERSION-4.23
BASEBAND VERSION- N/A
SERIAL NUMBER-#
SIGNING- not defined yet
LOCK STATE- UNLOCKED

It states it's in fastboot mode but when I input start or recovery mode "Booting failed" is the output. Is there something really dumb that I've missed or done? Any advice on what I should do is once again greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

norwoodesteel
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Thanks again, I've just tried 3x now and I'm still in the bootloop. On the dead android screen (and below the dead android) the following is listed:

FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME-grouper
VARIANT- grouper
MW version- ER5
BOOTLOADER VERSION-4.23
BASEBAND VERSION- N/A
SERIAL NUMBER-#
SIGNING- not defined yet
LOCK STATE- UNLOCKED

It states it's in fastboot mode but when I input start or recovery mode "Booting failed" is the output. Is there something really dumb that I've missed or done? Any advice on what I should do is once again greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
maybe its in fast boot mode
plug into pc and try to flash 4.2.2 factory image with toolkit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nex.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	2903224  

norwoodesteel
Old
Thanks Meter 37
http://gametipcenter.com/nexus-7-how...-recovery-mode

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-to...ed-it-0145541/

directlyobservable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks again, will try. Quick question though is that if you didn't have wug's previously installed will you be able to flash the images?

Thanks.