[Q] Issues during Flashing - possibly bricked

Search This thread

Quellon

Jul 5, 2015
Hi, hope this is the right place to post this.

So my Nexus 7 (2012) was stuck in a boot loop, Google logo followed the little splash thing and repeat wihtout actually loading up. All I could open was the fast boot menu and the four options: wipe data/clear cache etc. I downloaded the relevant drivers, Android SDK, the factory image etc.

I was following these instructions to unlock the bootloader so I could flash the tablet:

fastboot erase boot

fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase recovery

fastboot erase system

fastboot erase userdata

This all worked fine.

fastboot oem unlock was typed next and the bootloader unlocked fine.

I then went to typed **fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img**. Apparently what's meant to happen is:

sending 'bootloader' <2100KB>...
OKAY [ 0.123s]
writing 'bootloader' ...
OKAY [ 9.876s]
finished. total time: 9.999s

However mine just got stuck at the "writing 'bootloader' ..." stage. It was like this for quite a few minutes when it's supposedly meant to take a few seconds. "Signature match" showed up in the top left corner of the tablet however it is unresponsive, you can't move the buttons to show the Recovery mode/Power Off options.

I foolishly closed the command window and opened a new one. I tried to do the next stage "fastboot reboot-bootloader" however it just says "FAILED (command write failed (unknown error))" You get basically the same for all the other commands either unknown error. If you try to flash the bootloader again it fails and says invalid argument. My tablet was still recognised by the PC, showing the fastboot screen with Start in the top right and signature match in the top left. However any other prompts would fail. Eventually I unplugged the tablet and was able to turn it off with the power button.

Previously I had had trouble opening the fastboot menu or even getting to load to the boot loop (not responding to the button presses very well) however so far the display hasn't powered on at all. The only response you get is when it's plugged in you hear to device connected and disconnected sounds, and it is recognised as APX in the Windows device manager.

So what should I do? Is it fully bricked? My tablet is out of the 1 year warranty (This probably voided it anyway). Greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
HTC Desire
Nexus 7
Normally flashing of a bootloader with a signature mismatch should not work, there are some protections build in, so I see two possible situations for you:
Either you are stucked in APX-mode, but the old bootloader is still working: in that case hold down the power button for at least 20 seconds to turn it off completely and then try to restart the tablet again
or flashing of the bootloader started, but failed during writing the new image. In that case the probability that you have a brick is very high ... :(

Reactions: Quellon

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Normally flashing of a bootloader with a signature mismatch should not work, there are some protections build in, so I see two possible situations for you:
    Either you are stucked in APX-mode, but the old bootloader is still working: in that case hold down the power button for at least 20 seconds to turn it off completely and then try to restart the tablet again
    or flashing of the bootloader started, but failed during writing the new image. In that case the probability that you have a brick is very high ... :(