- volume cannot be controlled or muted
- the "tune" that is played is not one of the normal choices. It is kind of crude sounding (like MIDI).
- does not provide any notification of any kind or show up as a running app
- does not appear to be associated with clock or calendar
- the only way to stop it is to power off
Steps I have taken to try to kill this thing (leaving out the obvious)
- "soft" factory reset/restore from N7 Settings menu - fail
- "Hard" facory reset using power/volume controls. Did not do a restore.. Only logged onto wireless and into my Google account . - fail
- complete wipe/reflash using adb/fastboot/nakasi image from Google developer page instructions. - fail
I'm a complete Android noob, but not a software/hardware noob. This defies logic to me. I found reference to a very similar problem on another forum, but the post was never answered. I have several other Android devices and none have this issue. I'm convinced that this is something malicious. Where is this thing hiding that it can survive a reflash? Please help, I'm beginning to think my N7 is haunted.