Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Malicious daily "alarm"

OP gdbbcmi

9th July 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I have an issue that is making me crazy. Starting about 1 month ago, my N7 plays a very annoying "tune" for about 1-2 minutes precisely at 12:35 AM every day.

Some specifics:

- volume cannot be controlled or muted
- the "tune" that is played is not one of the normal choices. It is kind of crude sounding (like MIDI).
- does not provide any notification of any kind or show up as a running app
- does not appear to be associated with clock or calendar
- the only way to stop it is to power off

Steps I have taken to try to kill this thing (leaving out the obvious)

- "soft" factory reset/restore from N7 Settings menu - fail
- "Hard" facory reset using power/volume controls. Did not do a restore.. Only logged onto wireless and into my Google account . - fail
- complete wipe/reflash using adb/fastboot/nakasi image from Google developer page instructions. - fail

I'm a complete Android noob, but not a software/hardware noob. This defies logic to me. I found reference to a very similar problem on another forum, but the post was never answered. I have several other Android devices and none have this issue. I'm convinced that this is something malicious. Where is this thing hiding that it can survive a reflash? Please help, I'm beginning to think my N7 is haunted.
12th July 2014, 02:29 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Bump for help
Sorry to bump this but it appears that the views have stopped and so far no replies. As noted in my original post I have seen this issue reported elsewhere but not solved. I even tried loading Cyanogenmod and it's still there! I realize that asking for help on you first post is asking a lot, but I really could use some help/suggestions. Is there somewhere in the file system I should look for the code that is running this? Are there monitoring tools I could use to identify the process that is running? Are there log files somewhere I could look at?

Besides being really annoying, it's hard to feel secure when something like this keeps coming back after the device has supposedly been wiped multiple times. If I can't solve it, it's probably going to get beaten to a pulp with a sledgehammer! Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbbcmi

I have an issue that is making me crazy. Starting about 1 month ago, my N7 plays a very annoying "tune" for about 1-2 minutes precisely at 12:35 AM every day.

Some specifics:

- volume cannot be controlled or muted
- the "tune" that is played is not one of the normal choices. It is kind of crude sounding (like MIDI).
- does not provide any notification of any kind or show up as a running app
- does not appear to be associated with clock or calendar
- the only way to stop it is to power off

Steps I have taken to try to kill this thing (leaving out the obvious)

- "soft" factory reset/restore from N7 Settings menu - fail
- "Hard" facory reset using power/volume controls. Did not do a restore.. Only logged onto wireless and into my Google account . - fail
- complete wipe/reflash using adb/fastboot/nakasi image from Google developer page instructions. - fail

I'm a complete Android noob, but not a software/hardware noob. This defies logic to me. I found reference to a very similar problem on another forum, but the post was never answered. I have several other Android devices and none have this issue. I'm convinced that this is something malicious. Where is this thing hiding that it can survive a reflash? Please help, I'm beginning to think my N7 is haunted.

13th July 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Solved!
This is solved. I'd like to say I know exactly what worked, but apparently after the umpteenth wipe/re-flash, the poltergeist got bored and moved on. Thanks for thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbbcmi

Sorry to bump this but it appears that the views have stopped and so far no replies. As noted in my original post I have seen this issue reported elsewhere but not solved. I even tried loading Cyanogenmod and it's still there! I realize that asking for help on you first post is asking a lot, but I really could use some help/suggestions. Is there somewhere in the file system I should look for the code that is running this? Are there monitoring tools I could use to identify the process that is running? Are there log files somewhere I could look at?

Besides being really annoying, it's hard to feel secure when something like this keeps coming back after the device has supposedly been wiped multiple times. If I can't solve it, it's probably going to get beaten to a pulp with a sledgehammer! Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread