Nexus 7 2012 32GB Wi-FI (Grouper) lag issues, hardware getting old or is it fixable?

Search This thread

EternalSeekerX

Jan 20, 2016
Toronto/Orrawa
Dear XDA,

So I have a rooted Nexus 7 (2012) with the latest TWRP running an android 6.0.1 ASOP rom. I have a Nova launcher running with only 2 widgets (one kwgt and one zooper). So it lags at the lock screen, in chrome and facebook. Other apps run fine as long as there is no lag. I have a governor set to interactive. Emulators and games work, gnuroot debian (i.e. linux) works. Most benchmarks accept Pcmark work. So is it the hardware or can I do something to fix it? Clearing cache used to work but not any more.

Only using 12/32 GB on flash memory.

Any suggestions?

Bakica

May 20, 2014
Belgrade
Honor 8X
Redmi Note 8
Dear XDA,

So I have a rooted Nexus 7 (2012) with the latest TWRP running an android 6.0.1 ASOP rom. I have a Nova launcher running with only 2 widgets (one kwgt and one zooper). So it lags at the lock screen, in chrome and facebook. Other apps run fine as long as there is no lag. I have a governor set to interactive. Emulators and games work, gnuroot debian (i.e. linux) works. Most benchmarks accept Pcmark work. So is it the hardware or can I do something to fix it? Clearing cache used to work but not any more.

Only using 12/32 GB on flash memory.

Any suggestions?
Yes, you can try to flash Parrotmod:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3300416

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

iBolski

I read somewhere else that eventually, as it gets older, and you write to the memory more and more, it decreases the efficiency of the memory. It's usually a sign of wear and tear on the device. I know mine got REAL laggy to the point it freezes up on me after using it for awhile, usually with very intensive games such as Game of War, Walking Dead No Man's Land, etc.

Some have stated, if you're rooted, to use LagFix from Google play to run TRIM (you must be rooted for this). If you are not rooted, you can use Forever Gone as an alternative. I haven't tried these on my N7 (don't use it anymore), but the premise is they fill up your storage with empty files and then removes them, which causes Android to execute the TRIM command against your storage. This is supposed to help with the slow down many see after a few years of use.

In the end though, eventually the writeable memory just wears down. It's like external SD cards that, after so many writes, start to exhibit errors in various sectors. The writeable memory is just not immortal. We haven't found the right technology for that apparently. Just like a hard drive goes bad after so much write and rewrite, so goes the writeable firmware memory in mobile devices and SD cards.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly facebook and chrome are a problem for older hardware. Suggest you go with Facebook Lite and Firefox instead. Uninstall Facebook and Chrome.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk