Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 52,638 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] [Q] Nexus 7 (grouper) with CM11 and F2FS

Tip us?

Liloolil
Old
(Last edited by Liloolil; 12th July 2014 at 01:07 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [SOLVED] [Q] Nexus 7 (grouper) with CM11 and F2FS

Hi.

First I have to apologize for being a noob, and if I am posting questions that has already been answered. I can't post these question in the original thread about F2FS file system, so I am posting this here.
I am currently running stock Android 4.4.4 on my Nexus 7 WiFi (2012), and because it has become very slow, I want to root, install Cyanogenmod and use F2FS file system.
I have used CWM-recovery and installed custom roms on a Huawei device before, so I have some experience with this. I have also some experience with Linux and using ADB. But I don't want to brick my Nexus 7, so I have some questions before I start:

I want to unlock the bootloader and install custom recovery. I want to avoid using toolkits, as I don't know what they installs on my Nexus 7. I found a tutorial here that I am using, but I am not 100% sure if I am following the correct steps?:
1. Install SDK and drivers
2. Enable Debug on the Nexus 7
3. Download CWM-recovery to the same directory as adb.exe on my PC running Windows 8.1
4. With CMD: run command "adb reboot bootloader" then run command "fastboot oem unlock" (I know this will delete all data on my Nexus 7)
5. After unlocking, flash CWM-recovery with the steps from the tutorial: run command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.3-grouper.img".
6. Permanent flash CWM-recovery: mount "/System" and rename/backup "recovery-from-boot.p" with the command "mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak" (Is this step necessary? I have seen other tutorials skipping this step.)
7. Backup everything from recovery, and move the backup from the Nexus 7 to my PC. (I don't know if this step is necessary, but I'll do it anyway)

Are these seven steps above correct, or am I missing something? If the steps above are correct, then can I now install CM11 Snapshot M7 with F2FS with these steps?:
1. Download and copy "CM11.zip", "gapps.zip" and "LegoKernel-F2FS-140228.zip" from PC to Nexus 7, then install them from CWM-recovery.
2. Download "recovery-F2FS-A.img" to the same directory as adb.exe
3. Reboot the Nexus 7 into Android(CM11), activate Debug, run command "adb reboot bootloader" then flash custom TWRP with the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-F2FS-A.img"
4. Reboot into TWRP-recovery, go to Wipe menu and format data.
5. Reboot into Android(CM11)

Will these seven+five steps work, or am I missing something? I don't want to brick my Nexus 7, so if someone could verify that these steps is correct, that would be great.
And one more question: Can I change back to CWM-recovery without losing the F2FS file system, or should I just use TWRP?

~Liloolil

michael_ch
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liloolil View Post
I am currently running stock Android 4.4.4 on my Nexus 7 WiFi (2012), and because it has become very slow, I want to root, install Cyanogenmod and use F2FS file system.
I have used CWM-recovery and installed custom roms on a Huawei device before, so I have some experience with this. I have also some experience with Linux and using ADB. But I don't want to brick my Nexus 7, so I have some questions before I start:

I want to unlock the bootloader and install custom recovery. I want to avoid using toolkits, as I don't know what they installs on my Nexus 7. I found a tutorial here that I am using, but I am not 100% sure if I am following the correct steps?:
1. Install SDK and drivers
2. Enable Debug on the Nexus 7
3. Download CWM-recovery to the same directory as adb.exe on my PC running Windows 8.1
4. With CMD: run command "adb reboot bootloader" then run command "fastboot oem unlock" (I know this will delete all data on my Nexus 7)
5. After unlocking, flash CWM-recovery with the steps from the tutorial: run command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.4.3-grouper.img".
6. Permanent flash CWM-recovery: mount "/System" and rename/backup "recovery-from-boot.p" with the command "mv recovery-from-boot.p recovery-from-boot.bak" (Is this step necessary? I have seen other tutorials skipping this step.)
7. Backup everything from recovery, and move the backup from the Nexus 7 to my PC. (I don't know if this step is necessary, but I'll do it anyway)
The tutorial sounds ok to me even though adb is not even needed to unlock the bootloader and flash a new recovery.
Instead you might need "fastboot" for this. Oh and I would use TWRP instead of CWM on the Nexus 7 (it includes F2FS support out of the box):
Code:
Select Code
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-grouper.img
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liloolil View Post
Are these seven steps above correct, or am I missing something? If the steps above are correct, then can I now install CM11 Snapshot M7 with F2FS with these steps?:
1. Download and copy "CM11.zip", "gapps.zip" and "LegoKernel-F2FS-140228.zip" from PC to Nexus 7, then install them from CWM-recovery.
2. Download "recovery-F2FS-A.img" to the same directory as adb.exe
3. Reboot the Nexus 7 into Android(CM11), activate Debug, run command "adb reboot bootloader" then flash custom TWRP with the command "fastboot flash recovery recovery-F2FS-A.img"
4. Reboot into TWRP-recovery, go to Wipe menu and format data.
5. Reboot into Android(CM11)

Will these seven+five steps work, or am I missing something? I don't want to brick my Nexus 7, so if someone could verify that these steps is correct, that would be great.
And one more question: Can I change back to CWM-recovery without losing the F2FS file system, or should I just use TWRP?

~Liloolil
As long as you can boot through fastboot, it should be ok to make experiments. I don't think that you can brick the device permanently.

Your tutorial again sounds good but I would choose a few different files instead. LegoKernel is from February 2014, there are other kernels in newer versions available...

I have just posted a howto for this in another thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3342

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to michael_ch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Liloolil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ch View Post
Hi!

The tutorial sounds ok to me even though adb is not even needed to unlock the bootloader and flash a new recovery.
Instead you might need "fastboot" for this. Oh and I would use TWRP instead of CWM on the Nexus 7 (it includes F2FS support out of the box):
Code:
Select Code
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-grouper.img

As long as you can boot through fastboot, it should be ok to make experiments. I don't think that you can brick the device permanently.

Your tutorial again sounds good but I would choose a few different files instead. LegoKernel is from February 2014, there are other kernels in newer versions available...

I have just posted a howto for this in another thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3342

Good luck!
Thank you! I have now successfully rooted and installed CM11 on my Nexus 7.