Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Help deciding rom, tell me which one you use!

OP GFXi0N

18th August 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bilbao
Thanks Meter: 191

905 posts
More
Since day one, I installed cyanogenmod on my flo. I also have a nexus 4 with the same setup.
The main pros of cyanogenmod are profiles and incorporated usb otg.
Lately I have been experiencing a couple of issues that seem have no solution, or I'm the only one experiencing them.
Now, I'd like to know what is most people running on their Nexus, regardless of model.
I'm even thinking about rooted stock with xposed. I don't see many advantages on roms, and cyanogenmod and it's profiles are useless for me on this device.
So, what's your advice?
Thanks.
18th August 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,213

3,336 posts
Donate to Me
More
On my Nexus 5 I use Rastakat Rastaboost and on my Nexus 7 I run Rastakat as well. I'm not saying either is better, you need to find what works for you. I had many problems with other roms especially on the grouper but Rastakat has yet to fail me.
18th August 2014, 06:46 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 280

1,157 posts
More
On my grouper, Paranoid Android.
CM & Titanium were incompatible on my N7 and my SGS4. Hyperdrive on my s4.
19th August 2014, 03:07 AM   |  #4  
Flag Alnwick UK
Thanks Meter: 944

1,980 posts
Donate to Me
More
Carbon rom is working well for me atm.
I've also run paranoid android and paranoid saberdroid quite happily. Each has its own feel/look but carbon and niva launcher feels lighter for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 running NeatRom 0X0
20th August 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #5  
Flag Ashton-under-Lyne, Manchester, UK
Thanks Meter: 397

661 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFXi0N

Since day one, I installed cyanogenmod on my flo. I also have a nexus 4 with the same setup.
The main pros of cyanogenmod are profiles and incorporated usb otg.
Lately I have been experiencing a couple of issues that seem have no solution, or I'm the only one experiencing them.
Now, I'd like to know what is most people running on their Nexus, regardless of model.
I'm even thinking about rooted stock with xposed. I don't see many advantages on roms, and cyanogenmod and it's profiles are useless for me on this device.
So, what's your advice?
Thanks.

Hi, GFXi0N...

Rooted stock with xposed (and GravityBox) is (IMHO) a pretty good option. You get all the stability of factory stock AND the additional functionality of most Custom ROMs... Extended Power Down Menu, Configurable Nav. Bar, Configurable Notification Bar, Configurable Quick Settings 'Tiles', Configurable PIE settings. And that's just with GravityBox!!

And it's (relatively) easy to revert back to pure factory stock in the event of an imminent OTA update.

Further, xposed framework modues like GravityBox are APKs, and are installed in much the same way you would sideload any app. Which means they can be easily backed up by Titanium. So in the hugely unlikely event of a seriously buggy release of GravityBox (for example), you can just 'roll back', via Titanium, to the previous release.

Xposed and perhaps a custom kernel, like Franco, work well together, and provide a good middle ground between pure factory stock and some of the more adventurous (but arguably less reliable) Custom ROMs.

Anyway... just my thoughts...

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Rgrds,
Ged.
The Following User Says Thank You to GedBlake For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2014, 01:40 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bilbao
Thanks Meter: 191

905 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GedBlake

Hi, GFXi0N...

Rooted stock with xposed (and GravityBox) is (IMHO) a pretty good option. You get all the stability of factory stock AND the additional functionality of most Custom ROMs... Extended Power Down Menu, Configurable Nav. Bar, Configurable Notification Bar, Configurable Quick Settings 'Tiles', Configurable PIE settings. And that's just with GravityBox!!

And it's (relatively) easy to revert back to pure factory stock in the event of an imminent OTA update.

Further, xposed framework modues like GravityBox are APKs, and are installed in much the same way you would sideload any app. Which means they can be easily backed up by Titanium. So in the hugely unlikely event of a seriously buggy release of GravityBox (for example), you can just 'roll back', via Titanium, to the previous release.

Xposed and perhaps a custom kernel, like Franco, work well together, and provide a good middle ground between pure factory stock and some of the more adventurous (but arguably less reliable) Custom ROMs.

Anyway... just my thoughts...

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Rgrds,
Ged.

This is the kind of advice I was looking for. A lot of kernel dev even use stock rooted, they don't want complications. I grew a bit tired of every rom out there. Some of them have few active developers, some others lack some features, and some others, like cyanogenmod, has a couple of things i don't like, like cyanogenmod account, and a couple of extra apk that I don't use. Then comes the compatibility problems that, at least, you find using cyanogenmod on nexus 4.
I think i will try stock rooted with xposed. There is a lot of intensive development in that area and you can get the best of every rom, enable whichever feature you want and keep the system stable at the same time.
Thank you very much.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread