OP adityaxavier

9th August 2014, 09:28 PM   |  #141  
Flag Asnieres-Sur-Seine
Thanks Meter: 1,538

2,405 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuaerknedam

I've been able to use Marmite 10.6, Matr1x 25 cfs and bfs, and Devil Kernel 20131025_VC. When I flash Devil kernel I see the odd message "Making marmiteInstalling Devil kernel", but it seems to work. However, neither of the Devil kernel apps I tried would recognize that Devil was running.

I tried flashing Guru 1.0, but it fails with 'assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device")=="crespo" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "crespo"' and installation aborts. I guess this isn't surprising, since my values are "crespo4g". What I don't know is if this is overly restrictive and crespo4g *should* also work, and if so, how I would go about changing the checks in the kernel zip. Maybe I should just try to flash the .img using fastboot on my PC or flash_image in my phone's terminal.

I also tried the four Air Kernel Weekly r350 kernels. While they flash without error, there are problems. JBN_BlueColor_NHB_CM and JBN_VDColor_NHB_CM booted, but failed to save screenshots. JBN_BlueColor_CM and JBN_VDColor_CM got stuck in a bootloop at "Android is upgrading... Starting Apps". When flashing the kernels I noticed a message that they were writing to /system, so I tried restoring a nandroid of /system, and that worked for JBN_VDColor_CM (which also couldn't save a screenshot). However, after flashing JBN_BlueColor_CM, /system couldn't be mounted. A reformat and nandroid restore of /system didn't resolve the problem, so I gave up. Even the Air kernels that worked didn't seem to leave much usable memory, so I'm not planning to revisit them and figure out what's wrong. I still have four working kernels to try with OmniRom 4.4.4.

There are still a few aosp-based kernels that require an extra step or two, and I've probably missed a few easily-flashed kernels that are worth a try. I've seen new 4.4.x rom releases for Crespo (like cm11 m9), but I've not gotten far enough to figure out how to extract a flashable kernel..

It's only been 24 hours, so I've obviously not had much of a chance to see how these work for everyday use. That comes next.

Sorry this is so long, I wanted to include enough detail for anyone who wanted to address the problems I've seen, for anyone else who wanted to try other kernels with this rom, and for my own future reference.

Use my guide in flashing boot.IMG and you can flash guru/cm/Slim's kernels without the device error..

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th August 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #142  
Thanks Meter: 7

36 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out

Use my guide in flashing boot.IMG and you can flash guru/cm/Slim's kernels without the device error..

Yup. That's where I learned about the option to use flash_image in a terminal. Those kernels will be in the next wave.
23rd August 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #143  
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 3,117

4,231 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsriram22

I have experienced the 'long boot time' with the omni logo showing up but not doing anything happen. tried clean install, formatted data system partitions/ factory reset nothing worked.

Finally, I went into fastboot and flashed the boot.img manually and the system booted up in matter of seconds. (The boot.img was extracted from the ROM's zip posted in OP).

After the phone booted up fine, I went back to TWRP 2.7.1.0 and flashed gapps-minimal and the reboot was a breeze too (matter of seconds).

I am coming from stock 4.1.2.

Thought this would help someone stuck at boot logo (omni).

and, thanks OP. its a day old that i am on the july 1 build and things seem to work okay so far!

parents came over and i had time to try this and THIS method worked perfectly!!
27th September 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #144  

36 posts
More
Quote:

I've been able to use Marmite 10.6, Matr1x 25 cfs and bfs, and Devil Kernel 20131025_VC.

It's only been 24 hours, so I've obviously not had much of a chance to see how these work for everyday use. That comes next.

I ended up using Matr1x and Marmite 10.6 only for a day or two because of general stability issues. Most significantly, the camera would crash, which seems to be fairly common on bigmem kernels. I was able to use Marmite 10.3 for much longer, but I ended up switching to Devil kernel because I saw less FCs and less occasional weirdness.

Unfortunately, when I attempted to use flash_image to try the just released Guru 1.0.1, It returned write errors. I got the same errors with flash_image on the kernel bundled with this ROM. After booting into recovery and reflashing this ROM, the phone would boot directly into recovery. CWM logged badblocks when formatting /boot, and I got write errors with fastboot. Unsurprisingly, the latest TWRP doesn't help. As far as I can tell, my phone is now toast, though it seems odd that the boot partition is the only problem. I guess I'll soon be buying another Nexus S on eBay. Good thing they're relatively cheap, I got less than 6 months out of my first.
3rd November 2014, 02:26 AM   |  #145  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
Thumbs up Build 12 /4.4.4 Looking great
I just flashed Build 12 and so far everything is perfect--even torch (speedy and responsive). I love that there's still a few of us pushing our old Nexus S 4G well beyond their expected lifespan--much like the Spirit and Opportunity rovers on Mars...well at least Opportunity (still going strong). Anyway, that's the way I look at it.
Many thanks to adityaxavier for his extensive work and to those of you contributing and supporting!
3rd November 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #146  

36 posts
More
Quote:

Unfortunately, when I attempted to use flash_image to try the just released Guru 1.0.1, It returned write errors. I got the same errors with flash_image on the kernel bundled with this ROM. After booting into recovery and reflashing this ROM, the phone would boot directly into recovery. CWM logged badblocks when formatting /boot, and I got write errors with fastboot. Unsurprisingly, the latest TWRP doesn't help. As far as I can tell, my phone is now toast, though it seems odd that the boot partition is the only problem. I guess I'll soon be buying another Nexus S on eBay. Good thing they're relatively cheap, I got less than 6 months out of my first.

I finally picked up another Nexus S. After a factory reset and flashing this rom, I was stuck in a bootloop. I ended up leaving it for at least 15 hours, so I don't think I was just being impatient for the first boot. After trying several different things it worked with: Factory reset, flash this rom, flash Guru 1.0.1. Having done that, I do remember needing to manually flash the boot.img in the past (It's suggested in post #48). Someone suggested maybe this was a CWM problem and wasn't necessary with TWRP, but I can confirm it didn't work with either.

Surprisingly, Torch worked out of the box, from the app or tile, and without any delay. This time I have a new TWRP, SuperSU, and PA-GApps Pico, but I wouldn't expect any of those to make Torch work better than before.

@adityaxavier, Now that BaNkS GApps have been officially "transitioned" to PA-GApps Pico, you may want to update the First Post. Thanks for all your work!
6th November 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #147  

36 posts
More
Quote:

@adityaxavier, Now that BaNkS GApps have been officially "transitioned" to PA-GApps Pico, you may want to update the First Post. Thanks for all your work!

It would probably also be good for the FP to mention the (possible) need to manually flash boot.img.
16th November 2014, 02:38 AM   |  #148  
Thanks Meter: 203

689 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaxavier

I'll definitely work to port android 5.0 onto our nexus s 4g. The sources are well played out and would need quite few changes to make it adaptable for other versions. However I might need to work on syslinux being compatible.

Hey man are you still around?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread