Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,301 Members 50,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Spare part : sim reader

Tip us?

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 843
if you know how to solder, just solder a sim card holder, or just pay a local electronic store to do it for you.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

shockem
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 339

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXUSER View Post
Cheers mate but I've just checked and it's out of warranty. I could do with a method of fixing this myself if anyone has any other ideas! Several of the ins have broken off (I really regret using that micro sim adapt now)
You can actually get Samsung to fix it and pay a little. Cost exactly $50 SGD For me including the consultation and the fixing.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus S, HTC HD2, HTC Desire, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, etc.

Add me to your circles on Google+

Follow me on Twitter @vevekkk

xdadeveloperstopfan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockem View Post
You can actually get Samsung to fix it and pay a little. Cost exactly $50 SGD For me including the consultation and the fixing.
My Samsung Galaxy S II was purchased in Canada but now traveling in Singapore, so repair is my only hope!

Which number or department did you call and I wonder I'd they will have it by this Thursday before my flight out?

shockem
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 339

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdadeveloperstopfan View Post
My Samsung Galaxy S II was purchased in Canada but now traveling in Singapore, so repair is my only hope!

Which number or department did you call and I wonder I'd they will have it by this Thursday before my flight out?
I did not call them. I went to the place itself. The one at plaza singapura shopping centre. Just take the mrt and the repair centre will be in the shopping centre. I cannot confirm how long they will take. They took a week for mine... good luck!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus S, HTC HD2, HTC Desire, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, etc.

rahan95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Hello,

Just to let you know it seems the part is finally available here : http://www.parts4repair.com/samsung-...le-connection/

Just placed my order, I'll let you know how it goes

rahan95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Part received this morning.

Less than 10 days from Singapore to France and very decent packaging

And it's the stuff : fits in perfectly well and works a treat !

too bad it took a year to find it but I'm sure my mother will enjoy her "new" Nexus S =)

shockem
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 339

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan95 View Post
Part received this morning.

Less than 10 days from Singapore to France and very decent packaging

And it's the stuff : fits in perfectly well and works a treat !

too bad it took a year to find it but I'm sure my mother will enjoy her "new" Nexus S =)
I live in singapore, the parts available here?!!!!!

I sent my phone to samsung for $50 for nothing

pixelswim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Same thing happened to me and maybe my solution can help someone

Just thought I would post that the same thing happened to my Nexus S. I was testing out a micro-sim adapter and bent and broke the sim pins when pulling it out.

My phone is way out of warranty so I scoured the internet for the part to buy it online. I read this forum and had no luck with any of the sites that had the sim reader listed. They were all out of stock and from what I could tell it was not coming back anytime soon.

I managed to get the sim reader part out of my Nexus S using this awesome Nexus S teardown guide on ifixit.com, which you can also use for other Nexus S repairs.

So, what I decided to do was to send emails to websites that claimed to fix Samsung phones, even if just locally to their area, and ask if they had the part. I was hoping that they might have some broken Nexus S phones or parts sitting around that they wouldn't think to put online. I attached the image from the ifixit guide of the sim card reader to make it easier for them to know exactly what I was talking about. After a bunch of "no, we don't have it" replies I got a "yes" from a place in New York City called Portatranics (portatronics.com). The lady who I emailed with, Megan, was very helpful. To verify that they actually had it I had her send me a picture of the part next to a pen, which she happily complied to and I could easily see in the image that the sim pins were in great shape. They charged me $29 for it used, as-is which, considering the scarcity of the part, is not too bad. I paid them via PayPal and they are mailing it out to me today. Because I can now easily replace the part thanks to the ifixit.com guide I will just pop it in when it arrives. I will report back with the results.

Another option I had considered was buying just the sim reader slot part, like this one, because it was slightly easier to find online. That way I could take it to a local electrician to have it soldered onto my existing chip. But, I started to shy away from this because most of those parts were located in China, Europe or Canada where the cost and time to ship to me (in the USA) was not something I wanted to endure.

I hope this might help someone who has unfortunately broken the sim pins on their Nexus S. So, I would suggest trying out Portatronics first as I had success with them. You can email them at info@portatronics.com.

tKoHaXoR
Old
(Last edited by tKoHaXoR; 1st September 2012 at 08:47 PM.)
Thanks Meter 54
September 1, 2012 UPDATE

*WARNING* DON'T USE MICRO SIMS WITH SIM ADAPTERS! THIS CAN AND WILL HAPPEN TO YOU TOO!

Just happened to me as i removed my micro sim with sim adapter. Broke one of the pins off.

Got threw reading the whole thread. Tried the tin-foil trick and it works! Get a small little piece of tin-foil about the size of the missing pin and place it over the missing pin contact point and put the sim card in and it should pick up signal again! If it doesn't maybe the foil moved while sliding the sim card in. Try again.

This is a temporary fix and should be used just to get you by for a while.

I found the replacement part here and placed my order. It will be coming from China, so its good to use the tinfoil trick while you wait for the part to arrive in the mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190710339483...84.m1436.l2650

Found this easy dissasembly guide here. Use this to replace the sim tray once it arrives.

http://youtu.be/dYB5wiFFIno

Requires a philips screw driver and about 10 minutes of time. Pretty easy DIY Repair. Costs about 25-30$
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tKoHaXoR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shuiguo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelswim View Post
Just thought I would post that the same thing happened to my Nexus S. I was testing out a micro-sim adapter and bent and broke the sim pins when pulling it out.

My phone is way out of warranty so I scoured the internet for the part to buy it online. I read this forum and had no luck with any of the sites that had the sim reader listed. They were all out of stock and from what I could tell it was not coming back anytime soon.

I managed to get the sim reader part out of my Nexus S using this awesome Nexus S teardown guide on ifixit.com, which you can also use for other Nexus S repairs.

So, what I decided to do was to send emails to websites that claimed to fix Samsung phones, even if just locally to their area, and ask if they had the part. I was hoping that they might have some broken Nexus S phones or parts sitting around that they wouldn't think to put online. I attached the image from the ifixit guide of the sim card reader to make it easier for them to know exactly what I was talking about. After a bunch of "no, we don't have it" replies I got a "yes" from a place in New York City called Portatranics (portatronics.com). The lady who I emailed with, Megan, was very helpful. To verify that they actually had it I had her send me a picture of the part next to a pen, which she happily complied to and I could easily see in the image that the sim pins were in great shape. They charged me $29 for it used, as-is which, considering the scarcity of the part, is not too bad. I paid them via PayPal and they are mailing it out to me today. Because I can now easily replace the part thanks to the ifixit.com guide I will just pop it in when it arrives. I will report back with the results.

Another option I had considered was buying just the sim reader slot part, like this one, because it was slightly easier to find online. That way I could take it to a local electrician to have it soldered onto my existing chip. But, I started to shy away from this because most of those parts were located in China, Europe or Canada where the cost and time to ship to me (in the USA) was not something I wanted to endure.

I hope this might help someone who has unfortunately broken the sim pins on their Nexus S. So, I would suggest trying out Portatronics first as I had success with them. You can email them at info@portatronics.com.
Hello ... Thank you to share, I understand, and perhaps can really help