5,600,053 Members 45,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Linux Tool for Bricked Nexus S after firmware update

Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
(Last edited by AdamOutler; 27th March 2012 at 01:34 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9429

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] Linux Tool for Bricked Nexus S after firmware update

Hey guys.. This tool will recover your bricked Nexus S after a bad firmware update. If your phone is showing anything on-screen, this tool is not for you. Don't forget to hit the donate button .. hey, it's Christmas and my kid could use some extra toys. Note: 1/2 of any donations received from the UnBrickable are split with Rebellos for firmware development.

Introduction
Last night I received a PM that Nexus S devices were getting bricked after applying a T-Mobile update. I responded by creating Revision 37 of the UnBrickable Resurrector. Rebellos and I have developed a software solution to get bootloaders back on what would otherwise be a Hard Bricked (or lucky bricked) Nexus S.

You Will Need
You will need some software on your computer to get started. Here's what you need
Software Based Resurrection
Now that we have all the prerequisites taken care of, let's resurrect your device.
  1. In Ubuntu, right-click the UnBrickableResurrectorR38.jar, click properties>Permissions>"Allow executing file as program"
  2. Plug in your Nexus S
  3. Right-click the resurrector, open with Java, and observe the following image
  4. Select "S5PC110 (Nexus S) from the drop-down box.
  5. Click the Download Mode button. The resurrector will ask for a password to access the Linux device.
  6. Enter your password, then hold the proper key combination on your device to access Fastboot or Download Mode.

Depending on the button combination you hold, your device will end up in Fastboot or Download Mode. For Download Mode you can use Heimdall or create a Windows Virtual Machine and launch Odin. Fastboot may be easier to use for you. See other threads in this forum for loading software in Fastboot or Download Mode.

Please note, I do not own a Nexus S, so please follow the advice and answers of others who help you with your particular model in this thread.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
The Following 64 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9429

DONATE TO ME
See here for more information: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1396056
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bdpyo
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Great work Adam, glad to see you here!

Google Nexus S 4.0.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscofranco View Post
If you can do a better job, fork my tree and compile it yourself.

AndroidUser00110001
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3598

DONATE TO ME
I screwed up my bootloader.img and it courrupted boot partition. When I use the tool, I just get booted back into Android and can not do anything with ROM Manager

Any suggestions?

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9429

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidUser00110001 View Post
I screwed up my bootloader.img and it courrupted boot partition. When I use the tool, I just get booted back into Android and can not do anything with ROM Manager

Any suggestions?
Hold a key combination while using the UnBrickable Resurrector
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidUser00110001
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3598

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Hold a key combination while using the UnBrickable Resurrector
What do you mean by that? What key combo? I have the android shoveling dirt now and looking for the images to use with odin.

mike216
Old
Thanks Meter 1069
wow adam! i havent hard bricked my phone but i love this.i love to have as many backup or recovery options as possible,thanks alot bud and i will certainly donate next payday and i hope others do also.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike216 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ibn Saeed
Old
(Last edited by Ibn Saeed; 17th December 2011 at 08:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
Excellent work Adam

Though i am not in need of it, since my phone is not bricked.

But this dedicated thread will definitely help those who have bricked their phones, and stop them from opening up multiple posts regarding the same issue.

by the way, can you update the title to include ICS firmware update, so that people searching would know exactly what the thread is about. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ibn Saeed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AndroidUser00110001
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3598

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler View Post
Hey guys.. This tool will recover your bricked Nexus S after a bad firmware update. If your phone is showing anything on-screen, this tool is not for you. Don't forget to hit the donate button .. hey, it's Christmas and my kid could use some extra toys.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I just bricked my device, stupid me screwed up my updater script and ****ed up the boot partition

Thank you once again for this tool, totally saved me today :D
The Following User Says Thank You to AndroidUser00110001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waterface
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Brilliant work!!!

Just contributed to your justifications to your wife of your time spent on phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterface For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]