[KERNEL][04 APR] GLaDOS V2.11

Search This thread

Ezekeel

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 21, 2011
Aperture Laboratories presents​

GLaDOS V2.11

The latest innovation in human-smartphone interaction. Our scientist have shown in extensive tests that humans operating our kernel on their devices experience 67% more joy in life while simultaneously the likelihood of being maimed or killed by falling space debris is significantly reduced. Also preliminary human trials indicate that it might offer some protection against lethal dosages of gamma radiation and blows to the head with a rod-like object.

Features:
  • Based on stock Android kernel 3.0.8 IMM76D
  • CPUfreq governor 'lazy'
  • Live OC version 1
  • Custom Voltage version 1
  • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) version 1
  • Power saving state DEEP IDLE version 2
  • Touch Wake version 1
  • Backlight Dimmer (BLD) version 3
  • Backlight Notification (BLN) version 9
  • Brain **** Scheduler (BFS) version 0.357
  • SLQB memory allocator
  • Voodoo Color version 2
  • Voodoo Sound version 10
  • CIFS
  • TUN
  • Bigmem (+20 MB more available RAM)
  • USB OTG build 5

Download:
http://goo-inside.me/devs/aperture/GLaDOS-NexusS (thanks to goo-inside.me for hosting)

Always make a backup of your /efs/ directory (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138873) before installing custom kernels or ROMs.

During installation the cache partition, Dalvik-cache and modules, init.d scripts and bootsounds from previously installed kernels are cleaned.

Source code:
https://github.com/Ezekeel/GLaDOS-nexus-s/tree/glados

Do not use profiles, they are unnecessary and only lead to instabilities.

If you experience any problems and are on a nightly or kanged ROM, try the latest stable version of that ROM first. I will not give support or answer any questions if you do not try this before reporting a problem with the kernel.

If you experience stability problems like reboots, freezes, FCs and SoDs and you did OC or UV, first try changing back to the stock settings. If this solves the problems, your OC/UV configuration is not stable. There are some indications that OC/UV settings which run fine at high battery charges might still cause problems at lower battery charges. So to be safe always check that your OC/UV configuration runs fine at low battery like 5%.

I do not offer support/help/recommendations on OC/UV. If you decide to do so and your device is unstable you are on your own. Check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1335429 for help.

If you experience the problem that the DEEP IDLE state is not properly used (according to the idle_stats), read the last section of http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18299324&postcount=1.

When reporting a bug always include information about your ROM and hardware model. Also be as precise as possible when describing the problem. Just because a single person is experiencing a problem, it does not mean there actually is a problem with the kernel. I always wait until at least one other person can confirm the issue before I look into it. So if you see someone posting a bug report, do not be shy and feel free to confirm the issue or if you do not have the problem let me know that too.

When asking for a feature you would like to see implemented in GLaDOS always provide a link with information about this tweak and preferably also a link to the source code.

Aperture bootanimation courtesy of rascarlo (www.twitter.com/rascarlo)

For users unfamiliar with init.d scripts I recommend NSTools by arifhn (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1333696) for managing the various tweaks.

Last edited:

Ezekeel

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 21, 2011
Changelog

GLaDOS-V2.11

• Added kernel patches for Android 4.0.4 update.
  • Fixed bug with Touch Wake.
  • The kernel installer no longer modifies the ramdisk for adding init.d support.

GLaDOS-V2.10

• Added USB OTG build 5 by sztupy.
  • Fixed small bug in Custom Voltage.
  • Fixed bug in Live OC.
  • Changed to new bootanimation by Rascarlo (many thanks!).
  • Changed default V1 gamma values for Voodoo Color to stock settings.

GLaDOS-V2.9

• Fixed two small bugs in LiveOC.
  • Fixed small bug in Lazy.
  • Reduced display frequency back to stock settings.

GLaDOS-V2.8

• Fixed a bug in LiveOC.
  • Fixed optimized compiler flags.

GLaDOS-V2.7

• Fixed TouchWake issue of long powerkey presses causing the touch controls to be disabled without delay on next screen off.
  • For BLN the blink interval and blink time can now be adjusted in the sysfs interface. Also BLN is disabled by default.
  • For lazy the sampling rate is initialized to a default of 15000.

GLaDOS-V2.6

• Fixed the problem of the CAM module being active all the time preventing DEEP IDLE from being used.

GLaDOS-V2.5

• Fixed bug.
  • Removed several unnecessary kernel drivers and features.
  • Removed kernel debug and logging features.
  • Included logger as a module.

GLaDOS-V2.4

• Fixed bugs in Live OC.

GLaDOS-V2.3

• Fixed the freeze/reboot problems when changing the frequency limits.

GLaDOS-V2.2

• Removed the limit of the minimum frequency to 200 when the GPU is active.
  • Preliminary bandaid to DEEP IDLE compensating for various bugs in ROMs.

GLaDOS-V2.1

• Added Voodoo Color version 2 and Voodoo Sound version 10.

GLaDOS-V2.0

• Update to Android kernel 3.0.8 for ICS 4.0.3 IML74K.

GLaDOS-V1.12

• Fixed the camera problems caused by Bigmem (increases available RAM by 21MB now).

GLaDOS-V1.11

• Added Bigmem option (increases RAM available for the system by 26MB).

GLaDOS-V1.10

• Added DRAM scaling to Live OC.
  • Flash memory I/O tweaks.
  • Added Tiny Preemptive RCU.
  • Updated the optimized CRC32 algorithm.
  • Removed CFQ I/O scheduler.

GLaDOS-V1.9

• Added OC frequency states 1.4GHz and 1.2GHz.

GLaDOS-V1.8

• Fixed the problem of the touchkey backlight lighting up when touched while the screen is off.
  • Increased display frequency to 72Hz necessary to achieve 65fps.

GLaDOS-V1.7

• Fixed the increased battery drain while in SLEEP when DEEP IDLE is enabled.
  • Fixed the problem on the NS4G of DEEP IDLE not being used while 4G is enabled.

GLaDOS-V1.6

• Disabled most logging and debugging kernel config options.
  • Included logger and TUN as modules.
  • During installation the cache partition, Dalvik-cache and modules, init.d scripts and bootsounds from previously installed kernels are cleaned.
  • Removed '98touchscreen' init.d script.
  • Aperture bootanimation and -sound courtesy of Euphorie (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061627).

GLaDOS-V1.5

• Fixed problems with setting voltages and min/max frequency with SetCPU.
  • Fixed problems with the vibrator and DEEP IDLE.
  • Improved stability of wireless connection.

GLaDOS-V1.4

• Updated to latest toolchain arm-2011.03-41
  • Optimized compiler flags
  • Added optimized RWSEM
  • Fixed BLD bug for i9023 of the touchkey backlights not getting re-activated on touch
  • Changed to advanced TCP congestion scheduler VENO

GLaDOS-V1.3

• Improvements to JHash.
  • Improvements to CRC32.
  • Fix memory leak in CPUfreq stats module.
  • Removed PMEM. I do see any improvement regarding the available RAM, but removing unused code is never a bad idea.

GLaDOS-V1.2

• Fixed 'Screen v1 gamma hack' not working for Voodoo Color.

GLaDOS-V1.1

• Fixed BLN problems for i9023.

GLaDOS-V1.0

• Initial release.

Last edited:

v3rk

Jul 23, 2010
oh man... downloading now

thank you so much for providing this!

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Stock android uses deadline scheduler or VR?

A bit off topic, but did anyone ever toy with SIO, NOOP and CFQ on Nexus S?

ciwek90

Jan 30, 2011
can i flash this on my rooted stock 2.3.6? that is the latest for my country.

thoth77

Oct 8, 2008
Ezekeel's own kernel?

Ezekeel's own kernel?!

I knew you have only provided kernel devs with MODs. :)

JimmieMaul

Jul 25, 2010
Very tempting... Will leave it a few releases before I jump from Matr1x but expecting this to be very good!

I'd be interested in seeing what people's battery life is like on this kernel compared to others, as that's the main selling point for me! :)

Last edited:

v3rk

Jul 23, 2010
just ran a quadrant benchmark, ~1000 point increase from franco's 06 kernel on carbon c02 rom with 110 liveoc

Yusei

Nov 29, 2010
Porto
After flashing no more lights in soft keys

Edit:

Solved

Last edited:

Yusei

Nov 29, 2010
Porto
Ezekeel, can you put this kernel taking around 65fps in 3D graphics globe?

Btw, this rocks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Aperture Laboratories presents​

GLaDOS V2.11

The latest innovation in human-smartphone interaction. Our scientist have shown in extensive tests that humans operating our kernel on their devices experience 67% more joy in life while simultaneously the likelihood of being maimed or killed by falling space debris is significantly reduced. Also preliminary human trials indicate that it might offer some protection against lethal dosages of gamma radiation and blows to the head with a rod-like object.

Features:
    • Based on stock Android kernel 3.0.8 IMM76D
    • CPUfreq governor 'lazy'
    • Live OC version 1
    • Custom Voltage version 1
    • Battery Life eXtender (BLX) version 1
    • Power saving state DEEP IDLE version 2
    • Touch Wake version 1
    • Backlight Dimmer (BLD) version 3
    • Backlight Notification (BLN) version 9
    • Brain **** Scheduler (BFS) version 0.357
    • SLQB memory allocator
    • Voodoo Color version 2
    • Voodoo Sound version 10
    • CIFS
    • TUN
    • Bigmem (+20 MB more available RAM)
    • USB OTG build 5

Download:
    http://goo-inside.me/devs/aperture/GLaDOS-NexusS (thanks to goo-inside.me for hosting)

Always make a backup of your /efs/ directory (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138873) before installing custom kernels or ROMs.

During installation the cache partition, Dalvik-cache and modules, init.d scripts and bootsounds from previously installed kernels are cleaned.

Source code:
    https://github.com/Ezekeel/GLaDOS-nexus-s/tree/glados

Do not use profiles, they are unnecessary and only lead to instabilities.

If you experience any problems and are on a nightly or kanged ROM, try the latest stable version of that ROM first. I will not give support or answer any questions if you do not try this before reporting a problem with the kernel.

If you experience stability problems like reboots, freezes, FCs and SoDs and you did OC or UV, first try changing back to the stock settings. If this solves the problems, your OC/UV configuration is not stable. There are some indications that OC/UV settings which run fine at high battery charges might still cause problems at lower battery charges. So to be safe always check that your OC/UV configuration runs fine at low battery like 5%.

I do not offer support/help/recommendations on OC/UV. If you decide to do so and your device is unstable you are on your own. Check http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1335429 for help.

If you experience the problem that the DEEP IDLE state is not properly used (according to the idle_stats), read the last section of http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18299324&postcount=1.

When reporting a bug always include information about your ROM and hardware model. Also be as precise as possible when describing the problem. Just because a single person is experiencing a problem, it does not mean there actually is a problem with the kernel. I always wait until at least one other person can confirm the issue before I look into it. So if you see someone posting a bug report, do not be shy and feel free to confirm the issue or if you do not have the problem let me know that too.

When asking for a feature you would like to see implemented in GLaDOS always provide a link with information about this tweak and preferably also a link to the source code.

Aperture bootanimation courtesy of rascarlo (www.twitter.com/rascarlo)

For users unfamiliar with init.d scripts I recommend NSTools by arifhn (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1333696) for managing the various tweaks.
    Changelog

GLaDOS-V2.11

• Added kernel patches for Android 4.0.4 update.
    • Fixed bug with Touch Wake.
    • The kernel installer no longer modifies the ramdisk for adding init.d support.

GLaDOS-V2.10

• Added USB OTG build 5 by sztupy.
    • Fixed small bug in Custom Voltage.
    • Fixed bug in Live OC.
    • Changed to new bootanimation by Rascarlo (many thanks!).
    • Changed default V1 gamma values for Voodoo Color to stock settings.

GLaDOS-V2.9

• Fixed two small bugs in LiveOC.
    • Fixed small bug in Lazy.
    • Reduced display frequency back to stock settings.

GLaDOS-V2.8

• Fixed a bug in LiveOC.
    • Fixed optimized compiler flags.

GLaDOS-V2.7

• Fixed TouchWake issue of long powerkey presses causing the touch controls to be disabled without delay on next screen off.
    • For BLN the blink interval and blink time can now be adjusted in the sysfs interface. Also BLN is disabled by default.
    • For lazy the sampling rate is initialized to a default of 15000.

GLaDOS-V2.6

• Fixed the problem of the CAM module being active all the time preventing DEEP IDLE from being used.

GLaDOS-V2.5

• Fixed bug.
    • Removed several unnecessary kernel drivers and features.
    • Removed kernel debug and logging features.
    • Included logger as a module.

GLaDOS-V2.4

• Fixed bugs in Live OC.

GLaDOS-V2.3

• Fixed the freeze/reboot problems when changing the frequency limits.

GLaDOS-V2.2

• Removed the limit of the minimum frequency to 200 when the GPU is active.
    • Preliminary bandaid to DEEP IDLE compensating for various bugs in ROMs.

GLaDOS-V2.1

• Added Voodoo Color version 2 and Voodoo Sound version 10.

GLaDOS-V2.0

• Update to Android kernel 3.0.8 for ICS 4.0.3 IML74K.

GLaDOS-V1.12

• Fixed the camera problems caused by Bigmem (increases available RAM by 21MB now).

GLaDOS-V1.11

• Added Bigmem option (increases RAM available for the system by 26MB).

GLaDOS-V1.10

• Added DRAM scaling to Live OC.
    • Flash memory I/O tweaks.
    • Added Tiny Preemptive RCU.
    • Updated the optimized CRC32 algorithm.
    • Removed CFQ I/O scheduler.

GLaDOS-V1.9

• Added OC frequency states 1.4GHz and 1.2GHz.

GLaDOS-V1.8

• Fixed the problem of the touchkey backlight lighting up when touched while the screen is off.
    • Increased display frequency to 72Hz necessary to achieve 65fps.

GLaDOS-V1.7

• Fixed the increased battery drain while in SLEEP when DEEP IDLE is enabled.
    • Fixed the problem on the NS4G of DEEP IDLE not being used while 4G is enabled.

GLaDOS-V1.6

• Disabled most logging and debugging kernel config options.
    • Included logger and TUN as modules.
    • During installation the cache partition, Dalvik-cache and modules, init.d scripts and bootsounds from previously installed kernels are cleaned.
    • Removed '98touchscreen' init.d script.
    • Aperture bootanimation and -sound courtesy of Euphorie (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061627).

GLaDOS-V1.5

• Fixed problems with setting voltages and min/max frequency with SetCPU.
    • Fixed problems with the vibrator and DEEP IDLE.
    • Improved stability of wireless connection.

GLaDOS-V1.4

• Updated to latest toolchain arm-2011.03-41
    • Optimized compiler flags
    • Added optimized RWSEM
    • Fixed BLD bug for i9023 of the touchkey backlights not getting re-activated on touch
    • Changed to advanced TCP congestion scheduler VENO

GLaDOS-V1.3

• Improvements to JHash.
    • Improvements to CRC32.
    • Fix memory leak in CPUfreq stats module.
    • Removed PMEM. I do see any improvement regarding the available RAM, but removing unused code is never a bad idea.

GLaDOS-V1.2

• Fixed 'Screen v1 gamma hack' not working for Voodoo Color.

GLaDOS-V1.1

• Fixed BLN problems for i9023.

GLaDOS-V1.0

• Initial release.
    In other news, I've had the "sleep of death" twice now while charging overnight.

No overclock, stock voltages, lazy governor, deep idle enabled.
    The first time screen off max freq was enabled.
    The second time screen off max freq was enabled.

Is this likely to be a problem with lazy or deep idle?

Next time this happens try to login with adb shell. If that works it is not a SoD, but a problem with the ROM. See the previous posts on this topic in this thread.

Ezekeel, what will be the next phone, you are going to buy ?

I am currently very satisfied with my Nexus S running GLaDOS. I do not play any fancy 3D games that need a better CPU/GPU and for all other tasks my Nexus S performs just great with an exceptional battery runtime. And since switching my phone would mean leaving you guys without support for my work, getting another phone would mean buying a second new phone just for development. And I simply cannot afford that. Probably my next phone will be the Prime successor released in a year or so. So until then you can count on me maintaining and upgrading my work for the Nexus S.
    Ezekeel, will you do an 4.0.4 source update? maybe reboot issues will be fixed :)

I will update this kernel as long as Google delivers updates for the Nexus S and my time permits.

I compiled a test kernel with the updates made to the stock kernel for 4.0.4. Try it and tell me if you can find anything that is broken.

Download: http://goo-inside.me/devs/aperture/GLaDOS-NexusS/GLaDOS-test.zip
    First test version of GLaDOS for ICS is ready.

Implemented so far:
    - BLX
    - BLD
    - BLN
    - Touchwake
    - Lazy
    - BFS
    - SLQB
    - various tweaks

Init.d support does not seem to work properly yet. So you need to activate the tweaks manually or with some script manager.

It boots and everything seems to work fine so far, but I have not made any tests.

Need some sleep now. More tomorrow. Good night.

BFS version: http://www.multiupload.com/GL0CEDXP78
    CFS version: http://www.multiupload.com/5NGEWRBY76