Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,150 Members 36,855 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] [NANDROID BACKUP] Stock GRH78 for Nexus S Android 2.3.1

Tip us?

momohammed20
Old
(Last edited by momohammed20; 20th January 2011 at 06:10 PM.) Reason: added better instructions
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default [ROM] [NANDROID BACKUP] Stock GRH78 for Nexus S Android 2.3.1

I created a Nandroid backup of the stock Nexus S Rom. This includes the latest OTA GRH78 that just got pushed out today 12/22/10. This is 100% stock.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ontvvh8z9h9lb7a

WARNING: This will wipe everything on your phone

Requirements:

-Clockwork recovery or other custom recovery
-The nandroid backup from here http://www.mediafire.com/?ontvvh8z9h9lb7a
-Transfer cable, to transfer contents of downloaded file to phone's internal memory

Instructions:

1. Download nandroid file from link provided above
2. Extract the .zip file on your computer
3. Move the folder "2010-12-22.21.06.07" to the clockworkmod/backup/ directory of your phones internal storage
Note: if you have never used nandroid you wont have the directory clockworkmod/backup on your phones internal storage, so you will have to manually create those folders, then put the folder "2010-12-22.21.06.07" in the new folders you created
4. Now go into your clockwork recovery manager, you can do this by typing in "adb reboot recovery" if you have adb setup on your computer, and the phone is connected. Or while the phone is turned off hold the volume up+power to get into bootloader mode, then go down to "recovery" by using the volume up/volume down keys to scroll up or down, then press the power button to launch it, and this will launch the recovery manager
5. Once your in clockwork mod recovery select "backup and restore"
6. Then click "restore"
7. Now you should be able to choose and select "2010-12-22.21.06.07"
8. Clockwork will now restore this nandroid backup
9. Reboot system

Note: This version of android build "GRH78" will make sure you have the stock recovery manager everytime you reboot the phone. So after doing this, after you reboot you will no longer have clockwork mod.

Edit: According to xda member Luxferro the new update introduced /etc/install-recovery which may have not been in 2.3, but anyways, it runs this on bootup, and if the MD5 of the recovery doesn't match what is expected, it reflashes the stock recovery back over, so if you dont want the stock recovery to be flashed everytime you boot if your on clockwork or another non stock rom, just rename it to prevent it from running on boot. And for those of you who want to return your phone back to stock this nandroid will do that for you since it also flashes the stock recovery.

Video on how to unroot the nexus s and return to stock

http://theunlockr.com/2011/01/20/how...t-the-nexus-s/
Video via xda member dcogen
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to momohammed20 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yungfresh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
will this method rest the phone and erase phone info?

momohammed20
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungfresh View Post
will this method rest the phone and erase phone info?
yes this will erase everything, this is meant for people who want to go back to stock.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momohammed20 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yungfresh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I unlocked the bootloader and flashed clockword mod only. I didn't flash any custom roms. If I do this method, will it lock the bootloader and remove clockword mod?

momohammed20
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungfresh View Post
I unlocked the bootloader and flashed clockword mod only. I didn't flash any custom roms. If I do this method, will it lock the bootloader and remove clockword mod?
No, this will not touch the bootloader, or the recovery. The phone bootloader will stay unlocked, and the recovery manager will stay in tact.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momohammed20 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nxt
Old
Thanks Meter 329
Hi there, your "stock" nandroid is screwed up.

I just tried it right now and TONS of apps are missing from the market with your nandroid.
PayPal, NYTimes, aFile, Fios Mobile Remote, TONS of stuff that I had are gone from the Market.
I pulled out my SIM card, and still all missing.

I restored my Nandroid of my current system, and they're all back in the Market.

momohammed20
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt View Post
Hi there, your "stock" nandroid is screwed up.

I just tried it right now and TONS of apps are missing from the market with your nandroid.
PayPal, NYTimes, aFile, Fios Mobile Remote, TONS of stuff that I had are gone from the Market.
I pulled out my SIM card, and still all missing.

I restored my Nandroid of my current system, and they're all back in the Market.
Hmm, very odd. Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to momohammed20 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bogdi1988
Old
Thanks Meter 58

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by momohammed20 View Post
No, this will not touch the bootloader, or the recovery. The phone bootloader will stay unlocked, and the recovery manager will stay in tact.
so... for people that want to fully return to stock:
apply this update. go to fastboot mode and then do a fastboot oem lock. this will reset the phone and recovery partition to full stock.

you can check this by rebooting into recovery and now the recovery will be stock.

chris6278
Old
Thanks Meter 108
I don't think his nandroid file is messed up, there's a different market version its now 2.13 not 2.12 like on the previous build. I think that has something to do with it

chris6278
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Now I'm having a problem with everytime I reboot the phone I lose clockworkmod recovery an I got to reflash it with rom manager. I don't lose root tho but I lost it when I did his nandroid an had to reroot