Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!
APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Before download, you need to check your device 'about' screen to determine which superboot version you need.
- Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 668d8eb2fa2ff6b7f9bd26f1aa4f7923
- Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 6069ea0f4f04f2d35d4a868b4bb886fd
- Superboot for GRH78 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: a0c8b769986876bf5cb079b2fd9309ff
- Superboot for GRH55 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 809a8e41ae8f0bb88b870cf1865aedff
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX
- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'
Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)