Post Reply

[BUG] Phone reboots during an active call + USB storage (apps2sd) full

OP americancrew

20th December 2010, 11:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Problem 1:
I've just rooted my nexus-s and I'm not sure whether it's due to rooting or a software conflict with apps installed on the device that's not compatible with android 2.3, but I'm experiencing quite a frequent phone reboot while I am in the middle of an active call.

Is there a way to capture the log of the phone's function and see what's causing the reboot?

Are anyone experiencing this problem as well?

Problem 2:
I probably have only used 240 Mb of the USB storage, and it shows that I have 13Gb free. However, when I put the check boxes beside the applications that can be moved to the USB storage (i.e. native apps2sd), I seem to have surpassed the limit allowed for moving the app for USB storage. I've got 21 apps that can be moved, but it won't allow me to move the 21st app. Error message says "[! Move Application] Failed to move application. There is not enough storage left." I've tried checking and unchecking boxes of different applications, and it has nothing to do with the 20 apps limit, but rather it's the amount of memory being moved to the USB storage

********************* updated 01-12-2011 **********************

Please report to Issue 13674 on google's bug reporting page.
hXXp://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674

Sorry, I'm a newbie, so I can't post outside link. Please change the XX to tt in the link above.

************************************************** **********
Last edited by americancrew; 13th January 2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: dennis has posted a link to report the bug to google
20th December 2010, 12:26 PM   |  #2  
Anderdroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Palo Alto
Thanks Meter: 105
 
1,198 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2009
Donate to Me
More
Well I have 23 apps on my USB storage, and I have the Voodoo Root kernel as well. It shows 2.1gb used, 11gb free.

I did notice a 'soft reboot' earlier today but it wasn't during a call, don't know what caused it but yeah. Honestly if I were you and the problem persists just reformat and start over.
24th December 2010, 10:31 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
124 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Im having the same phone reboot problem as you during phone calls. I thought it was due to an app called Screebl being incompatible, but i just made a test call and it rebooted after about 18 minutes. Im going through my apps to see what else effects the phone state during phone call.

Ive heard of some people having problems with google maps causing problems during phone calls, or sprint nav (but we dont have sprint nav) So im going to try shutting down maps, and uninstalling my task killer, which i also heard can cause problems.

Have you been able to figure anything out? I really dont want to have to reset my phone and lose all my save data information from my games. My phone is not rooted, and i dont plan on rooting yet, so i cant use titanium backup for my data.

Phone only Reboots during active phone call, i can play games or surf the web on it all day long with no reboots.

So software issue in android 2.3, or some kind of app incompatibility im thinking
24th December 2010, 03:07 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 291
 
3,077 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
you can capture the log with adb logcat command, or download a logcat app from the Market http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=logcat

Why are you bothering with apps2sd? The Nexus S shares the Galaxy S line's hugh, I mean HUGE, 1GB of "disk" space for apps. I've got almost 100 apps on my phone and not a hint of low space. See the screen capture I've attached: 284mb used for apps, 724mb still free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAP201012240705.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	472468  
The Following User Says Thank You to distortedloop For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th December 2010, 03:15 PM   |  #5  
AllGamer's Avatar
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag buried under loads of work IRL
Thanks Meter: 1,579
 
11,521 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
Donate to Me
More
oh crap! please let it not be the same problem as in the SGS i9000m

that's one of the sign before the internal SD goes belly up
24th December 2010, 06:19 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 291
 
3,077 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer

oh crap! please let it not be the same problem as in the SGS i9000m

that's one of the sign before the internal SD goes belly up

Didn't they switch the type of flash memory used from earlier Galaxy S phones? I saw some discussion about it not being movinand any longer, or at least some sort of physical difference between what the NS has vs the SGS line.
24th December 2010, 08:06 PM   |  #7  
Senior Member
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 8
 
216 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedloop


Why are you bothering with apps2sd? The Nexus S shares the Galaxy S line's hugh, I mean HUGE, 1GB of "disk" space for apps. I've got almost 100 apps on my phone and not a hint of low space. See the screen capture I've attached: 284mb used for apps, 724mb still free!

Haha this may be the case, but I've inherited the habit of obsessively moving apps to sd/usb from using my Nexus One. Combined, I am using about 450MB of space for my apps at the moment. But this is a huge improvement from the Nexus One.
24th December 2010, 10:27 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 291
 
3,077 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbUglyDragon

Haha this may be the case, but I've inherited the habit of obsessively moving apps to sd/usb from using my Nexus One. Combined, I am using about 450MB of space for my apps at the moment. But this is a huge improvement from the Nexus One.

Oh yes, I was the same on my N1 and even EVO 4G, but once I got a Galaxy S, never even considered it.

I'll wager the nand used for the "rom" space is faster than the nand for the "sdcard", another thing to consider. You're not even half-way used up with that 450...
25th December 2010, 09:23 AM   |  #9  
Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 6
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by americancrew

Problem 1:
I've just rooted my nexus-s and I'm not sure whether it's due to rooting or a software conflict with apps installed on the device that's not compatible with android 2.3, but I'm experiencing quite a frequent phone reboot while I am in the middle of an active call.

Is there a way to capture the log of the phone's function and see what's causing the reboot?

Are anyone experiencing this problem as well?

I haven't rooted my Nexus S,but i've experience the same soft reboot during call.
I have the "End call using power button" option enabled. Im not sure if i was leaning on the button when it happened, but stock doesn't have a reboot option, so its unlikely. I suspect its a OS bug, rather than a rooting issue.

Let me know if you make any progress, i've since made calls with no problems.
26th December 2010, 08:18 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psosmith82

Im having the same phone reboot problem as you during phone calls. I thought it was due to an app called Screebl being incompatible, but i just made a test call and it rebooted after about 18 minutes. Im going through my apps to see what else effects the phone state during phone call.

Ive heard of some people having problems with google maps causing problems during phone calls, or sprint nav (but we dont have sprint nav) So im going to try shutting down maps, and uninstalling my task killer, which i also heard can cause problems.

Have you been able to figure anything out? I really dont want to have to reset my phone and lose all my save data information from my games. My phone is not rooted, and i dont plan on rooting yet, so i cant use titanium backup for my data.

Phone only Reboots during active phone call, i can play games or surf the web on it all day long with no reboots.

So software issue in android 2.3, or some kind of app incompatibility im thinking

You know, I thought there were software incompatibilities too at the first place. I did not use "End call using power button". But after running the same stock rom with rooting and apps for a week, I didn't see the soft reset during the phone call. I have just installed a new rom on my nexus s, the R2 version of MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Nexus S. Running great so far. No soft resets.

** Edit **
Actually, after posting this post yesterday, I did experience another soft reset whilst talking on my phone. I have the same apps that I have been running in the background, mainly: google pinyin, paypal, k-9 mail, ebay, rhapsody, google voice, bluetooth share, and swype. I am not experience the soft reset in all calls, after I have installed the R2 version of MoDaCo Custom Rom. I will post any problems again if I do see this happening again.
Last edited by americancrew; 27th December 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Experience soft reset again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps2sd, move application, problem, reboot, usb storage
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus S General by ThreadRank