Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,552 Members 47,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BUG] Phone reboots during an active call + USB storage (apps2sd) full

Tip us?

ryan562
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Happened to me once this past week about ten minutes in to a phone call. Wifi was on.I'm also running modaco r3.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App
Samsung Galaxy Note n7000
ClockworkMod-Based Recovery
Criskelo's ICS Touchwiz Rom v3
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
LPY Kernel

Apple iPad (3rd Gen)

Asus Transformer Prime Tablet
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
Virtuous Prime Rom S Series 9.4.2.15 v1

http://www.youtube.com/boloe562

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,576

DONATE TO ME
i guess, i could say i was pretty lucky

i had a 30min interview using the SNS, with bluetooth on Bionix ROM

driving from small streets & highways during rush hour, and no drop call during the whole thing

oh, the SNS was streaming MP3 to my car via bluetooth before the phone call, and when the call ended, the music resumed

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

distortedloop
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedloop View Post
Just had it happen to me for the first time. I starred the issue;; but notice there's only 32 stars on it.
I've been unable to reproduce a phone reboot during a call. I've made several calls to my phone and it never has rebooted since that one time. I was hoping to catch a log entry on the phone.

The problem certainly seems random and inconsistent across users.

At least Google is aware of it, can reproduce it, and claims to be working on it (on the Help forum) despite not acknowledging the bug report yet.
Wiping battery stats has the same influence over battery life as waving a dead chicken over your phone does; none, per Google.
If your sig takes up more screen real estate than most of your posts, maybe you should trim it a bit...

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,576

DONATE TO ME
what are the conditions to reproduce the reboot problem?

i'd like to avoid it if at all possible

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

herman3101
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The bug report has been declined at http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674 so it doesn't look like they think it's a gingerbread problem.
Google Nexus S (rooted stock)

Past phones: HTC Hero, MDA Vario III, MDA Vario II, MDA Vario I, MDA Compact, HP iPAQ H1930 (PDA)

andymason
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman3101 View Post
The bug report has been declined at ... so it doesn't look like they think it's a gingerbread problem.
That's not exactly true. The close comment said:

Quote:
Although the Nexus One and Nexus S run pure Android, this issue tracker is not the place to report bugs for these devices. I am going to continue posting updates to this issue on the Google Mobile forum.
In the Google Mobile forum mentioned an official Google employee posted:

Quote:
Hey all,

So we've successfully reproduced this issue and are in the process of investigating with Samsung. I'll provide updates as soon as I have them.

-Ry Guy
So it seems there is a real problem. Google has confirmed and reproduced it, but have yet to confirm if it's software or hardware. However, by the number of people returning their devices and having the same problem again makes me think its a software issue.

On a personal note, I find if difficult to distinguish a bug in the Android software and a bug in software running on a "Pure Android experience device". Aren't they the same thing?

dez93_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymason View Post
I find if difficult to distinguish a bug in the Android software and a bug in software running on a "Pure Android experience device". Aren't they the same thing?
Yes. I know it might seem prissy of me, but after trialling WP7 on the HTC HD7 and giving it back, I was hoping Google would do a better job of keeping its dedicated user-base happy than to dismiss out-of-hand a forum teeming with irked early-adopters, simply because an employee (wrongly) felt there was a semantic reason not to reply to them there.

("sounds like someone's got a case of the mondays!" )

distortedloop
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
That's not exactly true. The close comment said:

In the Google Mobile forum mentioned an official Google employee posted:

So it seems there is a real problem. Google has confirmed and reproduced it, but have yet to confirm if it's software or hardware. However, by the number of people returning their devices and having the same problem again makes me think its a software issue.
I've posted a few times in this thread (on page 3) that I think the Google Help Forums are probably a better place to report issues these days. They seem to get a lot more attention than the bug reporting site. I even posted a link to the specific question/answer where Google ry_guy says they're aware of it.

I think we should focus future bug reports on any issue to BOTH Help and Code sites.

Quote:
On a personal note, I find if difficult to distinguish a bug in the Android software and a bug in software running on a "Pure Android experience device". Aren't they the same thing?
I agree. I see a lot of "this isn't an Android problem replies and bug reports closed over there.

It's almost as confusing as the policy around here over what goes in the General section, and what goes in the Q&A section... LOL
Wiping battery stats has the same influence over battery life as waving a dead chicken over your phone does; none, per Google.
If your sig takes up more screen real estate than most of your posts, maybe you should trim it a bit...

gogol
Old
Thanks Meter 144
One thing that I read there, all bug reports are using Android 2.3.1 ...

Anyone has this bug on 2.3?
Nexus 5 : Android 4.4.1 stock ROM, stock recovery, rooted

distortedloop
Old
Thanks Meter 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogol View Post
One thing that I read there, all bug reports are using Android 2.3.1 ...

Anyone has this bug on 2.3?
It's a good question. Is there anyone who didn't rush to go to 2.3.1 and is actually on 2.3?

Actually, I've read in a couple of places people saying that they've done a factory reset "back to 2.3" and not experienced the problem since. I don't think a regular "factory reset" would change your build number...it's only supposed to wipe the /data partition, not re-write the /system one.

This is a serious bug, and Google is aware of it, we should get a fix pretty quickly.

Tags
apps2sd, move application, problem, reboot, usb storage