[BUG] Phone reboots during an active call + USB storage (apps2sd) full

Search This thread

americancrew

Jul 12, 2009
Problem 1:
I've just rooted my nexus-s and I'm not sure whether it's due to rooting or a software conflict with apps installed on the device that's not compatible with android 2.3, but I'm experiencing quite a frequent phone reboot while I am in the middle of an active call.

Is there a way to capture the log of the phone's function and see what's causing the reboot?

Are anyone experiencing this problem as well?

Problem 2:
I probably have only used 240 Mb of the USB storage, and it shows that I have 13Gb free. However, when I put the check boxes beside the applications that can be moved to the USB storage (i.e. native apps2sd), I seem to have surpassed the limit allowed for moving the app for USB storage. I've got 21 apps that can be moved, but it won't allow me to move the 21st app. Error message says "[! Move Application] Failed to move application. There is not enough storage left." I've tried checking and unchecking boxes of different applications, and it has nothing to do with the 20 apps limit, but rather it's the amount of memory being moved to the USB storage

********************* updated 01-12-2011 **********************

Please report to Issue 13674 on google's bug reporting page.
hXXp://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674

Sorry, I'm a newbie, so I can't post outside link. Please change the XX to tt in the link above.

Last edited:

Anderdroid

Dec 25, 2009
Palo Alto
ninjafighteronline.com
Well I have 23 apps on my USB storage, and I have the Voodoo Root kernel as well. It shows 2.1gb used, 11gb free.

I did notice a 'soft reboot' earlier today but it wasn't during a call, don't know what caused it but yeah. Honestly if I were you and the problem persists just reformat and start over.

Psosmith82

Jun 17, 2010
Im having the same phone reboot problem as you during phone calls. I thought it was due to an app called Screebl being incompatible, but i just made a test call and it rebooted after about 18 minutes. Im going through my apps to see what else effects the phone state during phone call.

Ive heard of some people having problems with google maps causing problems during phone calls, or sprint nav (but we dont have sprint nav) So im going to try shutting down maps, and uninstalling my task killer, which i also heard can cause problems.

Have you been able to figure anything out? I really dont want to have to reset my phone and lose all my save data information from my games. My phone is not rooted, and i dont plan on rooting yet, so i cant use titanium backup for my data.

Phone only Reboots during active phone call, i can play games or surf the web on it all day long with no reboots.

So software issue in android 2.3, or some kind of app incompatibility im thinking

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
you can capture the log with adb logcat command, or download a logcat app from the Market http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=logcat

Why are you bothering with apps2sd? The Nexus S shares the Galaxy S line's hugh, I mean HUGE, 1GB of "disk" space for apps. I've got almost 100 apps on my phone and not a hint of low space. See the screen capture I've attached: 284mb used for apps, 724mb still free!

Attachments

• CAP201012240705.jpg
    CAP201012240705.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: americancrew

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
oh crap! please let it not be the same problem as in the SGS i9000m :eek:

that's one of the sign before the internal SD goes belly up :(

Didn't they switch the type of flash memory used from earlier Galaxy S phones? I saw some discussion about it not being movinand any longer, or at least some sort of physical difference between what the NS has vs the SGS line.

DumbUglyDragon

Oct 6, 2010
SoCal
Why are you bothering with apps2sd? The Nexus S shares the Galaxy S line's hugh, I mean HUGE, 1GB of "disk" space for apps. I've got almost 100 apps on my phone and not a hint of low space. See the screen capture I've attached: 284mb used for apps, 724mb still free!

Haha this may be the case, but I've inherited the habit of obsessively moving apps to sd/usb from using my Nexus One. Combined, I am using about 450MB of space for my apps at the moment. But this is a huge improvement from the Nexus One.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Haha this may be the case, but I've inherited the habit of obsessively moving apps to sd/usb from using my Nexus One. Combined, I am using about 450MB of space for my apps at the moment. But this is a huge improvement from the Nexus One.

Oh yes, I was the same on my N1 and even EVO 4G, but once I got a Galaxy S, never even considered it.

I'll wager the nand used for the "rom" space is faster than the nand for the "sdcard", another thing to consider. You're not even half-way used up with that 450...
:)

g33k84

Mar 2, 2010
Sydney
Problem 1:
I've just rooted my nexus-s and I'm not sure whether it's due to rooting or a software conflict with apps installed on the device that's not compatible with android 2.3, but I'm experiencing quite a frequent phone reboot while I am in the middle of an active call.

Is there a way to capture the log of the phone's function and see what's causing the reboot?

Are anyone experiencing this problem as well?

I haven't rooted my Nexus S,but i've experience the same soft reboot during call.
I have the "End call using power button" option enabled. Im not sure if i was leaning on the button when it happened, but stock doesn't have a reboot option, so its unlikely. I suspect its a OS bug, rather than a rooting issue.

Let me know if you make any progress, i've since made calls with no problems.

americancrew

Jul 12, 2009
Im having the same phone reboot problem as you during phone calls. I thought it was due to an app called Screebl being incompatible, but i just made a test call and it rebooted after about 18 minutes. Im going through my apps to see what else effects the phone state during phone call.

Ive heard of some people having problems with google maps causing problems during phone calls, or sprint nav (but we dont have sprint nav) So im going to try shutting down maps, and uninstalling my task killer, which i also heard can cause problems.

Have you been able to figure anything out? I really dont want to have to reset my phone and lose all my save data information from my games. My phone is not rooted, and i dont plan on rooting yet, so i cant use titanium backup for my data.

Phone only Reboots during active phone call, i can play games or surf the web on it all day long with no reboots.

So software issue in android 2.3, or some kind of app incompatibility im thinking
You know, I thought there were software incompatibilities too at the first place. I did not use "End call using power button". But after running the same stock rom with rooting and apps for a week, I didn't see the soft reset during the phone call. I have just installed a new rom on my nexus s, the R2 version of MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Nexus S. Running great so far. No soft resets.

** Edit **
Actually, after posting this post yesterday, I did experience another soft reset whilst talking on my phone. I have the same apps that I have been running in the background, mainly: google pinyin, paypal, k-9 mail, ebay, rhapsody, google voice, bluetooth share, and swype. I am not experience the soft reset in all calls, after I have installed the R2 version of MoDaCo Custom Rom. I will post any problems again if I do see this happening again.

Last edited:

Psosmith82

Jun 17, 2010
I did a factory reboot/restore and that seemed to take care of the soft reset during call problem.

Have made several calls without issue

Psosmith82

Jun 17, 2010
Its doing it again, this phone is going back. The screen coating is already wearing off as well. Hopefully number 2 will be better.

I have yet to get one android phone that hasnt had to be exchanged once. Android phones really need to have better QC before leaving the factory.

Droid 1: 3 times (keyboard, GPS problems)
Evo: 4 times (terrible screens)
epic: 1 time (Keyboard)
Nexus: 1 time (so far) Screen Coating, Constant Reboots

coolairG1

Feb 23, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Phone reboots itself during an active call.

I have been experiencing this problem and it seems to escalate in frequency. I got this Nexus S on day one when it came out. However, I have not experienced soft reboot issue until last week, after the OTA update. Since then, it keeps doing it more and more and now it's like almost every active call I make. First, I thought it's software conflict. Now, having read this whole thread, I think it's an OS issue.

I also sometimes encounter with completely losing signal. The phone can not register to any network, and I have to reboot.

One more issue is the voice search apk sometimes activates itself when I shake or move the phone.

My phone is stock, and I do not have any issue with USB storage.

I like the phone for its speed, and the contour screen. It handles most tasks very quickly, even it's still a stock phone, unrooted.

I still have it until Jan 14 to decide whether I will keep it or not. Hopefully, there are some ways to fix these issues.

PhatBaja

Dec 30, 2010
Mine is restarting during calls and also when not in use. It restarted 3 times during calls within 10 days, and I witnessed it restarting by itself at least once when the phone was locked and not in use.

lordmirg

Apr 21, 2010
London
twitter.com
I have an unrooted Nexus S, which I started using yesterday. The OTA came almost immediately after setting up, so I installed that. It appeared to be working flawlessly until this evening when I made the first call on it. It rebooted a few minutes into the call. After redialing it did it again, the third call I ended without problem, but was shorter than the previous two. A few mins later I made some test calls and it rebooted during both of them.

I did a factory reset and wipe of USB storage - I didn't bother adding my Google account and just made a test call which lasted 13 mins before I hung up.

I'll have to make some more calls tomorrow and if they work, I'll try adding my Google account and restoring stuff.

mistapony

Jul 9, 2010
I had this same thing happen to me quite a few times reboot during a call or locking up after a call. I work to a company and we purchased three phones. So I switched with another one and guess what? Same problem definitely looking like a software problem.

Bmerz

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
This just happened to me for the 1st time a little bit ago. About 35 mins into the call/conversation, phone rebooted itself. Non-rooted here, I hope it's a software issue, that can be corrected within the next OTA update.

Cowie

Oct 30, 2004
Yorkshire
Stock ROM (2.3.1) here as well. Just had it reboot 10 minutes into a call, then one minute into the following call to apologise for the first dropped call!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all. Last night I called 02 a few times and the call was dropped and the phone restarted three times, each time a while (~10 - 15 minutes) into the call. The phone rebooted and operated fine after (although, like i say, repeated this behaviour a second ten third time).
    No problems before or since to do with anything else.

Anyone experience the same? Any clues or diagnostic tips? :confused:
    ta

Hi, there's at least two other threads where this is being discussed. Usually a good idea to search before asking to save yourself the sarcastic replies you're bound to get.

Direct answer to your question, yes, many of us are seeing it. Check out the "phone reboots and usb storage" thread in the QA section.
    you can capture the log with adb logcat command, or download a logcat app from the Market http://www.appbrain.com/search?q=logcat

I just reported rebooting issue to the Google. Please add your comments and star it, so Google will be aware of the problem and start fixing it!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13674