5,595,645 Members 44,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GINGEBREAD THREAD RESCUE] A good old configuration

Tip us?

styckx
Old
(Last edited by styckx; 25th February 2013 at 08:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtis View Post
It is last I saw. If your going bare bones GB for the ns4g I suggest oxygen 2.3.2 and add the DSP manager manually and flash trinity kernel for some voodoo sound.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda app-developers app
Not to worried about DSP manager or even an EQ for that matter.. PowerAMP has one and I rarely ever used it. The DAC on this phone > *... I do use Voodoo sound though to get that extra umph out of the DAC.

I'm up and running though.. Oxygen + Lynx + Voodoo + Poweramp = My earbuds are hammering my ear drums at the moment.. And mother of god I forgot how usable GB made this phone and not a rage inducing random lag monster.. To be able to type on the keyboard and have the keys actually register as soon I hit them all the time and every time..

The only thing GB kernels are missing is MTP.. God USB Transfers are painfully slow.
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
Not to worried about DSP manager or even an EQ for that matter.. PowerAMP has one and I rarely ever used it. The DAC on this phone > *... I do use Voodoo sound though to get that extra umph out of the DAC.

I'm up and running though.. Oxygen + Lynx + Voodoo + Poweramp = My earbuds are hammering my ear drums at the moment.. And mother of god I forgot how usable GB made this phone and not a rage inducing random lag monster.. To be able to type on the keyboard and have the keys actually register as soon I hit them all the time and every time..

The only thing GB kernels are missing is MTP.. God USB Transfers are painfully slow.
USB storage works wonderfully under GB (doesn't have the ICS/JB bug). Actually even faster than MTP under ICS/JB if you do a speed test.
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140413-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: Stock
Baseband: I747MVLUEMF1
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Interactive

Older device: Nexus S i9020A

styckx
Old
(Last edited by styckx; 25th February 2013 at 05:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
USB storage works wonderfully under GB (doesn't have the ICS/JB bug). Actually even faster than MTP under ICS/JB if you do a speed test.
Ya just sorta realized that.. The album I copied over wasn't mp3s.. It one one of my albums I have in flac.. So yeah.. It's fast...

On another note.. If anyone is on Sprint and reading this.. The soonest chance you get to drop them. RUN, RUN, RUN FAR AWAY FROM SPRINT.. I was a Sprint customer since 2007 and suffered through their ever decreasing bandwidth speeds. I hadn't reached 1Mbps in ages.. I averaged 0-500kbps on that disaster they claim is 3G.. T-Mobile has truly unlimited just like Sprint for $70 a month..

This is what I pull in now in my house... Closer I get to Philly it goes past 10Mbps I was a Sprint apologist for ages until I got fed up with being fed up..

Sorry.. I had to rant on Sprint as I find it highway robbery what they charge for the abysmal service they provide.
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED

lurtis
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Default Re: [GINGEBREAD THREAD RESCUE] A good old configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
Ya just sorta realized that.. The album I copied over wasn't mp3s.. It one one of my albums I have in flac.. So yeah.. It's fast...

On another note.. If anyone is on Sprint and reading this.. The soonest chance you get to drop them. RUN, RUN, RUN FAR AWAY FROM SPRINT.. I was a Sprint customer since 2007 and suffered through their ever decreasing bandwidth speeds. I hadn't reached 1Mbps in ages.. I averaged 0-500kbps on that disaster they claim is 3G.. T-Mobile has truly unlimited just like Sprint for $70 a month..

This is what I pull in now in my house... Closer I get to Philly it goes past 10Mbps I was a Sprint apologist for ages until I got fed up with being fed up..

Sorry.. I had to rant on Sprint as I find it highway robbery what they charge for the abysmal service they provide.
Stuck till October but i feel your pain.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda app-developers app

Jhyrachy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default R: [GINGEBREAD THREAD RESCUE] A good old configuration

i want to come back to a gingerbread rom so hard, but i'm blocked by only one thing:
i desperately need 4.0 and later wi-fi settings, where each connection has it's own static ip and settings, so i don't have to change it every time.
there is any possibility to have it on a GB rom? Thanks!

mutantlx
Old
Thanks Meter 16

Cm7.2 has static IP option in advance settings if that is what your after?

Sent from my Nexus S
The Following User Says Thank You to mutantlx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jhyrachy
Old
Thanks Meter 5

maybe...
i'll check.
Thanks!

JasonValentine
Old
(Last edited by JasonValentine; 4th March 2013 at 10:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
I rolled back from jb to gingerbread yesterday, running CM 7.2+franco kernel@1.2 Ghz, with a few tweaks mentionned in OP, and I have to say I agree with you all : ICS and JB were not meant to run on our Nexus S.

I mean, with a bit of theming and customization, you have an OS as functional and powerful as Android 4+ is ... and it is blazing fast : no micro lags in transitions, no battery drain ... etc ... no slowdowns when a lot of apps are running on background.
For benchies lovers, I just scored 4700 on Antutu, 2600 on Quadrant and 35 fps in Epic Citadel, that doesn't mean anything, but proves the user experience on gingerbread is far far better than the one I experienced on ICS, and even worse on JB.

Ok, GB stock browser is a really pain is the ass, but using Dolphin ... it's all good.

I love this phone, I love its size and its battery. I have a One X, but with time I find its size way to big in my pocket, and its battery life is .... meh I guess. That's why I use my NS more than my HOX these days (I'm even trying to sell it actually).
Next time I have to switch phones, I'll defintely go for a 4/4.3-inch one, like NS or GS2. And I don't think a quad-core beast with awesome horsepower is required for an average use of a smartphone. I mean, intense web browsing, HD videos, gaming ... that's why N7 is here.
HTC One X (CyanogenMod 10.1)
Asus Nexus 7 (Stock 4.2.2)

jojoost
Old
Thanks Meter 237

As I got my Nexus S in the ICS time, I don't know a thing about GB... So what is a good kernel for KelLMSKing MIUI?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
press Thanks if I helped/made you laugh/think of something!!
MY CURRENT DEVICES
-Google Samsung Nexus S i9023 -> Rooted
-Apple iPad 2 32GB WiFi -> Jailbroken

MY RETIRED DEVICES
none

Jhyrachy
Old
Thanks Meter 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantlx View Post
Cm7.2 has static IP option in advance settings if that is what your after?

Sent from my Nexus S
no...
i mean the possibility to set a specific ip for each connection.
ICS and JB use te proper settings of each wifi, on 7.2 you have only one static ip that you have to switch on and off...