5,604,631 Members 41,744 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Proper FULL wipe

Tip us?

obsanity
Old
(Last edited by obsanity; 25th October 2012 at 11:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 422
Default [GUIDE] Proper FULL wipe

I know this is not a development thread but I must insist we have something like this in this area. I would ask a mod to keep this sticky or maybe link to it from another sticky thread. I feel it's important to all development for accurate results and debug information.

I see this all the time. People think they are fully wiping when a developer asks for it. I believe that some people still don't understand what a full wipe is because there is no such single option in ClockWorkMod Recovery. Most likely the reason for that is because Koush didn't want too many posts about "I'm stuck on Google logo" or "my phone won't boot". So here is a test you can do yourself: Backup your ROM of course, and then do a full wipe. Then don't install anything and just reboot. If you end up pass the Google logo and onto the boot loop screen, then what you think is a full wipe is incorrect. If you are stuck on the Google logo and nothing is happening however, then congratulations... you know what you're doing

For the rest of you, here are proper steps to fully wipe without leaving any trace of ROM on your phone:

• wipe data/factory reset
  • format /system
  • format /boot

Now most people think that the first option is enough. That may often be the case but because the developer can drastically change the contents of the /system folder, things can get messed up if you don't format it. And guess what, that first option will not do it. Wipe data/factory reset only wipes the /data folder which contains your personal settings and all the apps you installed. The ROM is then left blank as if you just flashed it and you can start over. FYI, the format of boot partition simply wipes the boot animation and you can restore it using the advance option in recovery from ROM to another.

I've seen some zip files which do this automatically so that's fine but at least you know what needs to be done to fully wipe.

There you go. I hope this clears some things. Now lets flash some ROMs!
Nexus 5 Stock(moded) un-rooted
Franco's Kernel AMOLED Gama settings | proper values
Volume+ = Louder Speaker

Guides:
Automatic backlight
Proper FULL wipe
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to obsanity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scott420
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Thank you

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App
Ps3 Gamertag..scotts420420 add me ..COD II

rrem
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Sticky please!
The Following User Says Thank You to rrem For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lbcary
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I follow the above wipe method for my Epic Touch 4G,SGSII, with the exception of flashing Calkulins Format All.zip at the very end and i havent experienced any issues yet. Hope i didnt just jinx myself...

gear.h34d.2012
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Simple, yet I'm sure beginners miss it. I also vote for a sticky.

Credits to mustangboy88

Devices:

Google Nexus S 4G
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Grey Wifi 32GB

Quote:
"Personally, I watched my friends vivid get updated to ice cream sandwich last night. It broke my heart because he got it via ota, before my nexus s. Official google/sprint ics is something my ns4g will most likely never receive. Yes, I am a cry baby. Flame me."
-Swamp Goblin

kdepro
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Isn't the dalvik cache stored in the /data partition?

Hence, factory reset necessarily wipes dalvik but wipe dalvik only wipes the dalvik portion of the data partition?

Sent from my Sammy Nexus 4G using XDA App
"I'm just a dinosaur. I don't know what I'm for. I like to stomp and RWAARRR. Hey! I'm just a dinosaur!"

AOS Boot Animation
jRummy16's ROM Toolbox Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to kdepro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

genaro12543
Old
Thanks Meter 158

DONATE TO ME
all we need is a zip that does all of that and were good!!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genaro12543 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donsh00tmesanta
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 128
no need to wipe when restoring?

Shark_On_Land
Old
Thanks Meter 73

DONATE TO ME
Or use amonRA. Best recovery yet.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

jesusice
Old
Thanks Meter 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsh00tmesanta View Post
no need to wipe when restoring?
Nope, restoring will format each partition before it restores it.