Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 43,055 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Step by Step ROOT Nexus S via ClockworkMod Recovery image (i9023 and i9020A)

Tip us?

kursk
Old
(Last edited by dsixda; 14th April 2011 at 06:37 PM.) Reason: Updated for i9020A models
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Default [GUIDE] Step by Step ROOT Nexus S via ClockworkMod Recovery image (i9023 and i9020A)

Hi all,

i've recently bought a Nexus S which is a non-US/UK (GT-i9020) version having a SC-LCD screen (GT-i9023).
Which is not, sadly, the only difference...

MOD EDIT: This tutorial also applies to AT&T/Rogers/Telus variants of the Nexus S with SAMOLED screen (i9020A)

This tutorial is based on AllGamer's [GUIDE] Step by Step ROOT Nexus S via ClockworkMod Recovery image (i9020 only).
Part 1 - Drivers

1 - Download Android SDK
2 - Unzip & launch "SDK Manager.exe"
3 - Cancel the first popup & go to "Available packages" > "Third party Add-ons" > "Google Inc."
4 - Select "Google USB Driver package" & click "Install Selected"
5 - Once you're finished go to your SDK installation "extras\google\usb_driver" dir
6 - (MOD EDIT: Ignore this step for i9020A models) Open "android_winusb.inf" and add the following lines to both "[Google.NTx86]" and "[Google.NTamd64]" sections :
;
;Google Nexus S GT-i9023
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E20
as described here [SOLVED] Google Android USB drivers - Nexus S SCLCD GT-i9023 not recognized
7 - Turn Off your SNS
8 - Make sure the SNS is connected to the PC via the USB cable
9 - Boot the SNS into the Bootloader Interface, by holding Volume UP & Power button

It reads LOCK STATE - LOCKED
Open Device Manager (or run devmgmt.msc) make sure you don't see this problem (windows failed to identify the SNS and install the correct drivers)

10 - Do a right click and select Update Driver Software
11 - Select Brose my computer for driver software
12 - Point it to your Android SDK installation "extras\google\usb_driver" dir
13 - Make sure to CLICK "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
14 - Then from the list 3 choices select Android Bootloader Interface
15 - If it's installed properly it should show up like this (reboot is not required)

NOTE: if you encounter problems like question marks, unknown drivers, or exclamation marks eve after you have installed the drivers, download and try the USBDeview 32/64 to remove and uninstall all the junk USB devices from your computer/registry
Part 2 - Unlock

1 - Open a command prompt go to run & type "CMD" & hit enter
2 - Switch to the directory where you unzipped the Android SDK & go to "tools"
3 - Type "fastboot oem unlock" & hit enter

Then you will get this
fastboot oem unlock
Selecting YES will wipe EVERYTHING from the SNS, so make sure you have backed up everything you needed to safe before you continue.

4 - Use the Volume up/down keys to select and Power key to apply

you should see something like this after it's done
... OKAY [435.433s]
finished. total time: 435.433s
Now back on this screen you should read
LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED
Part 3 - Recovery

1 - Download the ClockworkMod recovery image (for i9020A models, use this i9023 recovery image too!) 3024v3-i9023.img from [MOD][RECOVERY]Clockwork 3.0.2.4 New wipe & confirm menus!! i9023 & i9020 versions
2 - Save it to the Android SDK "tools" dir
3 - Open a command prompt go to run & type "CMD" & hit enter
4 - Switch to the directory where you unzipped the Android SDK & go to "tools"
5 - Then type "fastboot flash recovery 3024v3-i9023.img" & hit enter

You should get something like this, if not your image is corrupted, download it again
sending 'recovery' (3980 KB)... OKAY [ 0.621s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 0.511s]
finished. total time: 1.132s
6 - Then back on the SNS select Power Off (Reboot also works)
Part 4 - Root

1 - Power ON the SNS
2 - Download su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip from [APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05]
3 - Save it to the Android SDK "platform-tools" dir
4 - Open a command prompt go to run & type "CMD" & hit enter
5 - Switch to the directory where you unzipped the Android SDK & go to "platform-tools"
6 - Type "adb push su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip /sdcard/su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip" & hit enter
7 - Boot the SNS into the Bootloader Interface, by holding Volume UP & Power button
8 - Select "Recovery
9 - Then it should boot into this screen, if not then repeat the steps to download the image
10 - Select "Install ZIP from sdcard" (power button to apply)
11 - Select "Choose ZIP from sdcard" (power button to apply)
12 - Select su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip (power button to apply)
13 - Select "Yes - su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip"

Should says
Install from sdcard complete
15 - select go back
16 - select reboot
You're now free to install the ROM you want.

Have fun, take care !
Credits goes to AllGamer & afilopou
The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to kursk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DoomFragger
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I was heading through this toturial and many others present in the SNS forum. There seems to be some confusion regarding rooting && flash custom roms.

Being rooted does not imply that we can flash new roms. For that we need custom recovery. In several phones, we could only had a custom recovery if the phone was rooted. In SNS, we just need an unlocked bootloader and a compatible recovery. No root is needed IMHO.

Also, in this guide, as in several others, there isn't said anywhere that the custom recovery will be reverted by the system as soon it finishes booting the stock rom. I think it should be clear that we need to remove/rename the script that does that.

Still... Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoomFragger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trickle_on
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Brilliant. Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trickle_on For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1576

DONATE TO ME
this is a very nice, but i'll suggest including the modifications instructions in this topic as well, instead of just linking it to the other topic

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllGamer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kursk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomFragger View Post
I was heading through this toturial and many others present in the SNS forum. There seems to be some confusion regarding rooting && flash custom roms.

Being rooted does not imply that we can flash new roms. For that we need custom recovery. In several phones, we could only had a custom recovery if the phone was rooted. In SNS, we just need an unlocked bootloader and a compatible recovery. No root is needed IMHO.
This tutorial is based on AllGamer's one concerning the GT-i9020.
Im very new to Android customisation, i've just followed some toturials i've found trying to make them works, so it may be inconsistent.

As far as i know, i got some problem using the RomManager application that was asking for superuser rights in order to install new rom. This application placed a superuser-xxx-signed.zip at the root of the sdcard, but install on my SNS SCLCD never worked.

Consider using the manual way, not the RomManager application, will be more straiforward.

May be all these steps are not mandatory, but in the end you'll be able to be able to nistall new rom.
Consider it as a global package for customisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomFragger View Post
Also, in this guide, as in several others, there isn't said anywhere that the custom recovery will be reverted by the system as soon it finishes booting the stock rom. I think it should be clear that we need to remove/rename the script that does that.

Still... Thanks.
Never noticed that. ClockworkMod recovery has ever stayed in place, even after rebooting the stock rom many times.

Cheers !

kursk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer View Post
this is a very nice, but i'll suggest including the modifications instructions in this topic as well, instead of just linking it to the other topic
By the way AllGamer, i apologize for the non-agreed use of your tutorial, i was all in the thing at that time, just thinking about to end up with my cyanogen rom.

It works now, thanks to you. MIUI this evening
The Following User Says Thank You to kursk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ugrubni
Old
(Last edited by ugrubni; 26th March 2011 at 03:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
hi

i also have the 9023 and tried your guide. but im am stuck at #14 because it dont find the android bootloader interface entry, there are just three adb interface driver in this list. i also cleared the driver registry with usbdeview before.

adb driver is installed and i tried to unlock the bootloader but fastboot dont recognice the phone.

and i tried it on 2 different pcs, one with win xp and one with win7, same problem on both systems

ugrubni
The Following User Says Thank You to ugrubni For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DoomFragger
Old
(Last edited by DoomFragger; 26th March 2011 at 06:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
When I unlock my bootloader, I've downloaded the "Google USB Driver package" and the "Galaxy Tab by Samsung Electronics".

I haven't edited any .inf file. Those were the instructions I followed from this article.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomFragger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ugrubni
Old
Thanks Meter 10
ok, finally i have bootloader interface installed with edited .inf installed on win7.

i tried to unlock with fastboot but it just does nothing. my nexus says

usb control init
usb control init end
standard_set_configuration

anyone an idea?

ugrubni
The Following User Says Thank You to ugrubni For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smoothfreeze
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Before I root my Nexus S, i got some questions to ask.
  • Can I "unroot" my nexus s to stock if I do this?
  • What kind of roms are there available other than CM7 mod?

The Following User Says Thank You to smoothfreeze For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]