Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,641 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] need help choosing a rom/kernel

Tip us?

lukazar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] need help choosing a rom/kernel

ok so i need a new rom, currently having various annoying little issues with cyanogenmod9. these include high battery drain, laggy cm9music (music plays fine, scrolling music WHILE listening to music however is super slow) (i have all album art, although this only affects this player) "unfortunately music/settings has stopped working" and also random reboots while listening to music.

so either a) does anyone know how to fix these?

or b) can anyone suggest a good rom? im looking for something that does exactly the stuff cm9 did (i particularly loved the dsp feature) but without bugs.

ps. i tried miui music player, but couldnt figure out how to connect dsp to it

ljordan2
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Try Bugless Beast. It is simply bugless and stable.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
Device : Nexus S(M200K)
Android Version : 4.1.1
Rom : CM10 Kang Jellybro
Kernel : CM Kernel

glennkaonang
Old
(Last edited by glennkaonang; 28th February 2012 at 11:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljordan2 View Post
Try Bugless Beast. It is simply bugless and stable.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
+1 on Bugless Beast if you like 'stockish' ROM.
Regarding music app, you could try PowerAMP, it's free with limited features.
Anyway I can say that's it's really worth it to purchase the full version.
It supports many audio files.
You could also flash a custom kernel that has voodoo sound installed.
Combine it with PowerAMP and you'll get similar & comparable quality with CM Music app + DSP Manager.

AFAIK, CM Music is still in BETA, and that explains those FCs you're getting.

I myself has been using Bugless Beast + Air kernel (with Voodoo Sound of course) and never had random reboots.
Listening to music is very decent using this combination.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocket999
Old
Thanks Meter 123
My favorite ICS ROM is Codename android 1.4 with Matr1x kernel. It's been super fast for me, and everything works. I haven't had a single issue with it!
Nexus S 4g
Gummy 0.9.0
Matr1x 18.0, 200/1000, 105 live OC
V6 supercharger, 3g turbocharger, and a Verizon PRL!

Oogway13
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Have you tried clearing Music Data? Fixing permissions on CWM?

I've been on nuhetri v3.0.1 and it has been working pretty good as of now. Haven't tried with different kernels, but they say it's working excelente with Air kernel.

ROM:NeXperia Z4

Retired device:
Nexus S (hurts...but I'll still use you)

Want to learn how to PORT a ROM? Check out my thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1791006

jesusice
Old
Thanks Meter 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukazar View Post
ok so i need a new rom, currently having various annoying little issues with cyanogenmod9. these include high battery drain, laggy cm9music (music plays fine, scrolling music WHILE listening to music however is super slow) (i have all album art, although this only affects this player) "unfortunately music/settings has stopped working" and also random reboots while listening to music.

so either a) does anyone know how to fix these?

or b) can anyone suggest a good rom? im looking for something that does exactly the stuff cm9 did (i particularly loved the dsp feature) but without bugs.

ps. i tried miui music player, but couldnt figure out how to connect dsp to it
It sounds like your problem is just CM9 Music. Just don't use it. There are many other music players you could use, such as Google Music from the Market.

And you don't have to "connect" DSP to anything. The settings should apply to any sound that comes our of your device.

Highway 55
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Are you using cm9 with the stock kernel? If not, try it again with the stock kernel. Or as others have stated, bugless beast with the stock kernel. My personal experience has been that most every highly modded third party kernel causes some kind of instability. Just my $.02. Ymmv.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

glennkaonang
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusice View Post
It sounds like your problem is just CM9 Music. Just don't use it. There are many other music players you could use, such as Google Music from the Market.

And you don't have to "connect" DSP to anything. The settings should apply to any sound that comes our of your device.
Well that's weird. I once used CM and PowerAMP just didn't get any improvements from DSP Manager.
I've tried listening carefully but it seems that DSP Manager only works with CM Music app.
That's why my choice is PowerAMP + Voodoo.

jesusice
Old
Thanks Meter 1037
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennkaonang View Post
Well that's weird. I once used CM and PowerAMP just didn't get any improvements from DSP Manager.
I've tried listening carefully but it seems that DSP Manager only works with CM Music app.
That's why my choice is PowerAMP + Voodoo.

I use Subsonic myself and DSP definitely works with it. I can't speak for Poweramp, I personally think it's a terrible app.

lukazar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
wow thanks for the responses guys and yeah ive tried using dsp with music players, but it only seems to work with the apps that cm assigns it to. ive been googling how to assign it but it requires root access, which (problematic) i dont have as my superuser app seems to have corrupted itself (which i can fix)

anyway all that crap aside, im on cyanogenmod7 now. i love it, but it just isnt... ICS. so basically what ill try now is probably bugless beast (after i reflash superuser) then ill flash dsp and see if that works.