[How To]Change Your PRL!! Faster Data! (video tutorial)

Search This thread

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
is there any PRL that allows it to automatically switch from Sprint to Verizon and vice versa when the signals are bad?? i LOVED the 00001 PRL for service but i don't like the idea that i'll be using my minutes and roaming the entire time... currently have the 11114 PRL and it's still essentially Sprint and my understanding is that unless i use "Roam Control" it won't jump to Verizon?! if this works for sure, i won't mind paying for the app but if it doesn't what's the point??

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
is there any PRL that allows it to automatically switch from Sprint to Verizon and vice versa when the signals are bad?? i LOVED the 00001 PRL for service but i don't like the idea that i'll be using my minutes and roaming the entire time... currently have the 11114 PRL and it's still essentially Sprint and my understanding is that unless i use "Roam Control" it won't jump to Verizon?! if this works for sure, i won't mind paying for the app but if it doesn't what's the point??

It works. Here's couple of screen shots with Sprint 3G and using Roam Control.
Screenshot_2012-02-27-21-32-07.png

Roam Control on Verizon
Screenshot_2012-02-27-21-33-50.png

Reactions: the1dynasty

treyweez11

Jan 4, 2012
Atlanta
Any confirmed evdo data on the hybrids? Doesn't work for me only on prl 00001 does evdo work.

Sent using Tapatalk, you know, the free version.

Revilo62

Feb 23, 2012
When I type the *#*#8778#*#* and change the USB to modem and press back it doesn't save the setting. And when I do that the option for going to USB storage never goes away. Anyone know why I can't switch to modem? Any other ways for me to do this? I'm running CM9 rom with trinity kernel. Any help is appreciated.

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
When I type the *#*#8778#*#* and change the USB to modem and press back it doesn't save the setting. And when I do that the option for going to USB storage never goes away. Anyone know why I can't switch to modem? Any other ways for me to do this? I'm running CM9 rom with trinity kernel. Any help is appreciated.

i never pressed back after changing to "modem" just went forward with the QSPT program!! try that

Revilo62

Feb 23, 2012
i never pressed back after changing to "modem" just went forward with the QSPT program!! try that

Does your connect to USB storage thing go away?

Under device manager when I just leave it without pressing back it says my phone is a portable device, it's not under port. Maybe a driver problem? I did the link of installing drivers on the OP by just running the exe file and that didn't seem to do much. It's installed but didn't change how my phone acts under device manager.

Last edited:

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
dunno man... i had drivers installed already and just connected and followed the video exactly... worked fine for me on oICS ROM... might want to try another ROM and just flash back to the one you're using as it won't flash over the PRL!!

Revilo62

Feb 23, 2012
dunno man... i had drivers installed already and just connected and followed the video exactly... worked fine for me on oICS ROM... might want to try another ROM and just flash back to the one you're using as it won't flash over the PRL!!

Maybe I'll try that. Do you happen to know if flashing a new rom would mess up my home screen icons? I'm OCD about where all my icons are and what folders they're in and don't really want to have to re do it.

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
here are my before and after speeds. my only question is does the 00001 prl show that your roaming? i read last night that it doesnt, just want to double check
before
Screenshot_2012-02-27-21-10-52.png

after(using prl 00001)
Screenshot_2012-02-27-21-04-15-1.png

the1dynasty

Dec 16, 2011
Maybe I'll try that. Do you happen to know if flashing a new rom would mess up my home screen icons? I'm OCD about where all my icons are and what folders they're in and don't really want to have to re do it.

simple... go into recovery, make a backup of your current setup... then flash a new ROM... setup the PRL thingy by following the video... then go back to recovery after that new PRL is setup and just restore your backup... you should have your exact same setup with the new PRL installed :)

Revilo62

Feb 23, 2012
simple... go into recovery, make a backup of your current setup... then flash a new ROM... setup the PRL thingy by following the video... then go back to recovery after that new PRL is setup and just restore your backup... you should have your exact same setup with the new PRL installed :)

Totally didn't think of that! Thanks! New to rooting still, can't wait to get this to work. What ROM should I try?

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
on the 00001 prl my signal fluctuates a lot. But overall service is better. When I had my ns4g first time I spent weeks trying to put this prl on and failed. Op did a great job explaining how. Drivers were hardest part as he stated.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: Read the second post for more info/alternate hybrid PRL/how to revert back to stock! I know it's a read but it should answer any questions you have!

This is a video tutorial I threw together on how to change your PRL. There has been some confusion as to how to change the PRL/some people having trouble doing it. I hope this helps!

WARNING!! Use this at your own risk! People have had their accounts terminated by using too much roaming data.

That being said, I've used this have for a few months now, and I haven't had any trouble, but others have.

This hack loads a new PRL onto your phone. It tells your phone to use roaming data instead of Sprint. Normally you only roam on 1x, but this makes you roam on Verizon's 3g all the time. In my area it is over 10x as fast as sprint. In my house (with 2 bars) I get 1.3 mb/s average download, and when I have any more bars I get well over 2 mb/s consistently. This is compared to dial-up like speeds on Sprint...

Let's get started, shall we?
    ---------------------------------------------

Links for the downloads are below!

Watch it through and follow the directions. This will work on most ROMs, One I know it will work on is Codename Android 1.4. Here are the directions in writing:

1. Get your MSL number. Do this by getting an app from the market called terminal emulator. type in:
    su (hit enter)
    getprop ril.MSL (caps sensitive, then hit enter)
    your MSL will be there. It will be a 6 digit code. Write this down for later!
    You can also call Sprint and if you ask nicely they may give it to you!
    2. Install drivers for your device on your computer. Look up a Youtube tutorial on how to do this. It was the hardest part for me.
    3. Download the file "00001.prl" and QPST. Links to both are below. On your computer, extract the QPST file, open it up, and double click on setup. Go through the installation process.
    4. Go back to the phone and open up the dialer. Enter this: *#*#8778#*#*
    5. On the menue that pops up there will be a secton labeled "USB". Change it from PDA to "Modem"
    6. Back to the computer. Hit the start menu and open up device manager. Double click on "ports" and you should see your devide there. at the end it will look like this: (COM#). Write down the number at the end of the COM.
    7. Hit the start and search for QPST and open it. At the bottom corner click on new device, and when it asks for the port enter COM# (using the number you found in the last step), and hit ok.
    8. Now go to "start clients" and hit "SERVICE PROGRAMMING". It will ask what port you will be modifying, just click your device and hit ok.
    9. there will be these tabs with CDMA, CDMA-2, ESN, etc. Click on the one that said "Roam". In the lower box hit browse, and find the 00001.prl file. hit ok.
    10. Finally, hit "write to phone". The phone should reboot, and you're done!
    11. I forgot to add this in the video. Once it boots up, go back to the dialer and enter the *#*#8778#*#* code again. Change it back from modem to PDA and you are done!

Here are the files:
    00001.prl: http://www.box.com/s/esb2ot5z8avjymqspxec
    QPST: http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/flash/mobile_phones/companies/qualcomm/models/qpst/12051.html

Post your results! How are your speeds before and after? Use the speedtest.net app to test. And don't forget to hit the thanks button!
    So due to the rumors circling, I decided to clear them up here.

Read this before posting!

These are the drivers I use with my Nexus s 4g:
    http://nexusshacks.com/nexus-s-hacks/how-to-install-nexus-s-windows-usb-drivers/

The PRL I included in the first post will make your phone work on VERIZON! It shows up on your plan as roaming data. If you use the 00001 prl then you DO NOT have to make your phone force roam or anything of the sort. It just works on Verizon, and your phone will NOT show that it is roaming, yet it is. Got it?

When you flash a new ROM, the PRL isn't touched. So you don't have to redo this if you flash a new ROM. Also, if your ROM doesn't do anything with the dialer code, then make a nandroid of it, flash a new ROM (I know for a fact that CM9 V3 and codename android 1.4 work), do the hack, then restore your nandroid. It's a little round-about, but it works!

How to use BOTH networks:
    ======================================

Now you can use a hybrid PRL. These have you on Sprint and they allow you to use the Verizon 3g if you force roam. I used this on my EVO 4g, but I haven't had great luck with it on my Nexus s 4g. Others have. Try it out if you want, here is a hybrid PRL (11114):
    http://www.box.com/s/yrml7pzfgjc1od8hbp2j
    You apply it the same way as the 00001 PRL.

Once it is installed, you will still be on Sprint's network. If you want to make your phone work on Verizon, then you have to make your phone force roam. You can do that with this app: roamctrl.com

Now you can switch between using Sprint and Verizon 3g!

========================================

Reverting back to stock

If you want to go back to the stock PRL, you have 2 choices. Both of which are pretty easy.

The first would be to go an official Sprint ROM, go to settings>software upgrade>update PRL or settings>about phone>update PRL.

If you are on a ROM where you can't do that, then you can just put the stock PRL on your phone using the same method that you used to put a custom one on.

As of this post, this is the latest sprint PRL:
    http://www.box.com/s/fc67ca1qfx7nymqnfozy
    Download it and use QPST to put it on your phone. Easy as pie

Finally some info on Roaming on Sprint:

Now your plan includes "unlimited roaming data". Sprint, however, says in the fine print that if you go over 300mb you can get into trouble. I have used this hack for 4 months using 1-1.5 gb of data. Never had a problem. I only know one guy first hand who has ever gotten kicked off their plan from this. So know it is a possibility, but unlikely. And they send you a warning letter before they kick you off. If you get the letter just revert back to the stock one!

If there is anything else I should add here let me know!
    Ok so I did it. I flashed oooo1.prl. ok in the about phone section in settings is it supposes to say roaming? Or no?

No. Check the second post.

Having trouble with the drivers.!!!

I just googled them and found a video on how to do it. I'll try to find the video and put it in the second post.

Interesting.
    2mbps / 8 (8 bits in a byte) = 250KB/s
    1.3mbps / 8 (8 bits in a byte) = 160KB/s.

ummmm... You sir are wrong. 2mb/s=2500KB/s, 1.3mb/s=1300KB/s. If your sprint speeds are that good I envy you. Where I live I get somewhere in the range of 60-100 kb/s on Sprint. I can't even load Facebook on it.

Ok ok last question, I hope. Does this work for both voice and data?

Yes it does. You just don't get unlimited mobile to mobile anymore (all your minutes count towards the total amount you have).
    Someone confirm that this works?

I can! haha I've done it on 2 different phones and many many ROMs.
    A couple things.

First, you do not have unlimited data roaming, go over 300 mb and sprint can terminate you (etf free), go over 2gb and sprint WILL termnate you.

Second, a better option would be to use the 11115 prl (in my sig) with Roam Control. The 11115 prl gives you 3G roaming almost everywhere no matter who has towers in your area (I roam on US Cellular). The reason this is a better option is because it allows you to force roam on the fly. You can switch to uscc\verizon when sprint is acting up and you need fast data then switch back to sprint when slower data will work. This makes it easier to keep yourself under that 300mb threshold.

Where is digiblur when you need him?

scaled.php