XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[i9023] SLCD screen bends under glass -> yellow stain

Tip us?

eGozelle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [i9023] SLCD screen bends under glass -> yellow stain

last night i was surfing some pages, when i noticed a yellow stain/spot at the right side, near to the top of my screen.
this morning when i looked at it again, i frist thought it was gone, but after some usage, it came back.
taking a closer look, i saw, that the slcd foil(?) under the glass has bend a little bit, what seems to be the reason for this yellow stain. i think it might be a heat problem, since it was gone this morning, but came back after some usage.
i also think it might have to do with using navigation, since my nexus really gets hot while using that.

anyway i will bring it to the shop, but i'd like to know if there were others experiencing this..

here two pics attached (the stain can't be seen that good on a picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bend.jpg
Views:	1664
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	713542   Click image for larger version

Name:	stain.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	713543  
rooted i9023 stock ICS 4.0.4

Rem3Dy
Old
Thanks Meter 264
You sure it wasn't dropped?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

eGozelle
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem3Dy View Post
You sure it wasn't dropped?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
yeah, in all those 6 months, that i have it, i never dropped it.
rooted i9023 stock ICS 4.0.4

viasat
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I've also 2 yellow stains,on the left and the right of the lcd on my slcd i9023.I guess it has something to do with heat,because in winter when I've bought it ,it was ok,now in summer the yellow stains appeared.Next week I;ll send the phone to Vodafone service in my country,and I hope it will be exchanged.
Best Regards

Rem3Dy
Old
Thanks Meter 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGozelle View Post
yeah, in all those 6 months, that i have it, i never dropped it.
That sucks. I hate dealing with hardware issues. Good luck getting it fixed.

viasat
Old
Thanks Meter 15
After 1 week in service,today I've received back my Nexus S i9023 with a new slcd fitted.No more yellow staints,I hope it will remain the same a few month at least.
Cheers

VirgilO
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hello, I am also having the same problem, the same yellow stain has appeared on my right side but i don't have the "warped" lcd as in the first photo... It is definitively a heat problem because i noticed the "stain" when i was downloading on wifi while plugged in and that part of the screen was far hotter then the rest of the screen...maybe some chip under it running hot.
The thing is i got the phone new 6 months ago from ebay so no warranty and my concern is, what guarantee do i have that after i change the screen, that the problem won't appear again? Does anybody know if there is a fix eighter for the screen now or something to prevent it from happening again to my new screen? Could it be a manufacturing problem of the screen itself?
It doesn't seem that this issue is common..Also does the spot spread?
Thanks for taking the patience to read and for any answers.

dangthe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Today I noticed the exact same problem in the same part of the screen, and I also noticed the foil being bent at that part of the screen. Its perfectly visible under a certain light angle. Being on the exact same spot as your problem, I suppose that it is some chip under that part of the screen causing the problem. I think I also has to do with the fact that the screen is curved... anyway, I cannot return mine for a new one, I hope people in the local service shops will be able to provide me with a fix. Too bad that such a cool phone like the Nexus S suffers from so much problems (I also had the proximity sensor problem that caused screen to remain black sometimes when the phone rings without a way to see who is calling). I will go for one of the new nokia handsets.

bad_freddy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Another one here with the same problem on the upper right corner...
I have the phone 8 months now and I am sure that yellow stain wasn't there from the beggining but now it's quite visible especially with white font for ex. when browsing... Also in a specific angle the foil of the screen in that place is visible too...

dimiar
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Same problem on the right corner on top. If its in guarantee they will fix it for free?

Sent from my Nexus S