Originally Posted by Nicolaesse
Thanks, which is the option to choose?
I think 5 and then 3.
After reanimating the devide I'd like to install Kit Kat version of Android on it so I need a rooted smartphone.
I'm going to put it step by step using the Nexus root tool kit (NRTK)
1. download a flashable recovery of your choice (CWM 184.108.40.206 Philz 6.19.3 or TWRP 2.7.0 or higher on all these)
2. download the kitkat rom you want to install
3. download the Gapps that match the rom you chose ( if a 4.4.2 rom get a 4.4.2 gapps if 4.4.4 then 4.4.4)
4. boot your phone into bootloader / fastboot
5. connect your phone to your pc (it should recognize it)
6. open your NRTK and go to the advanced section and choose to temporarily boot custom recovery (this will be TWRP 2.6.3)
7. ON YOUR PHONE select mount usb
8. ON THE COMPUTER open the device/folder for your phone and create a new file on your SD card ( I called mine " !zip " this kept it ontop of the list of files) and copy the recovery, rom, and kernel to this folder.
9. ON YOUR PHONE unmount usb, return to the main menu screen and select install, find that folder you made and select the recovery zip that you copied and swype to install
10. after it installs (10seconds) return to the main menu, select reboot then reboot recovery ( you may get a warning about not having a rom or su, ignore both)
11. now you are on your KK compatible recovery (nearly there)
12. No matter which recovery you chose find the section to wipe or format your phone (DO NOT WIPE OR FORMAT YOUR SD CARD !!!! this will wipe everything off your phone and may make it hard / impossible to restore
) and ONLY wipe or format system, cache, and dalvik partitions. On philz there is an option to wipe to install a new rom (this is a onestep version of the above)
13. return to the main menu page and select install, choose your rom and install, then your gapps and install ( if on TWRP you can select both by choosing the option to add a zip to flash)
14. the moment of truth, now that you have flashed both rom and gapps, you need to return to the main menu and select reboot and reboot system...
15. assuming you did all of this issue free, you are free to enjoy your phone..
*if you don't have your phone recognized by your computer / NRTK, you need to follow the instructions for NRTK to get the correct drivers for your computer
**if you are not clear on what you are doing, ask before you make a mistake
***Your custom rom will be pre-rooted, so no need to try to root it