Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Nex S killed while rooting

OP Nicolaesse

22nd August 2014, 01:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I followed this guide [GUIDE] MAC Rooting Nexus S (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...exus-s-t878446) until point
Quote:

6) Open ROM Manager and choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". At this point you are all set .

As Rom manager rebbot doesn't work, I installed Root checker and it told me thet the phone was not rooted properly. So I decided to follow another guide [HACK] Superboot Method for 2.3.2 (GRH78C) (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...grh78c-t927838).
Now the phone doesn't work! In other words when I press the power button the Google logo screen remains and Android doesn't start.

If i hold volume up and power button I gain the following:
Code:
Fastboot mode
Product name: Hearing
Hw version - rev 52
Bootloader version - I902XXLC2
Baseband version - I902XXKI1
Carrier info - EUR
Serial number - 3035...

Lock state - unlocked
and I can choose:
Code:
  • Reboot bootloader
  • Reboot
  • Recovery
  • Power off
I think that the problem is that the phone is looking for the file "install-recovery.sh" that I renamed into "install-recovery.sh.old".

How can I reanimate my Nexus S?
22nd August 2014, 01:56 PM   |  #2  
Flag Asnieres-Sur-Seine
Thanks Meter: 1,596

2,468 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolaesse

I followed this guide [GUIDE] MAC Rooting Nexus S (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...exus-s-t878446) until point
As Rom manager rebbot doesn't work, I installed Root checker and it told me thet the phone was not rooted properly. So I decided to follow another guide [HACK] Superboot Method for 2.3.2 (GRH78C) (http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...grh78c-t927838).
Now the phone doesn't work! In other words when I press the power button the Google logo screen remains and Android doesn't start.

If i hold volume up and power button I gain the following:

Code:
Fastboot mode
Product name: Hearing
Hw version - rev 52
Bootloader version - I902XXLC2
Baseband version - I902XXKI1
Carrier info - EUR
Serial number - 3035...

Lock state - unlocked
and I can choose:
Code:
  • Reboot bootloader
  • Reboot
  • Recovery
  • Power off
I think that the problem is that the phone is looking for the file "install-recovery.sh" that I renamed into "install-recovery.sh.old".

How can I reanimate my Nexus S?

Find wuggs Nexus Root Toolkit... Read the thread and you'll have your phone back..

Sent from my OnePlus ONE
22nd August 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out

Find wuggs Nexus Root Toolkit... Read the thread and you'll have your phone back..

Sent from my OnePlus ONE

Thanks, which is the option to choose?
I think 5 and then 3.

After reanimating the devide I'd like to install Kit Kat version of Android on it so I need a rooted smartphone.

Quote:

1. Unlock the Bootloader
2. Flash ClockworkMod/TWRP Recovery
3. Root the Device
4. Lock the Bootloader
5. Flash Google Factory Image
6. Donate
0. Exit

23rd August 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #4  
Flag Asnieres-Sur-Seine
Thanks Meter: 1,596

2,468 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolaesse

Thanks, which is the option to choose?
I think 5 and then 3.

After reanimating the devide I'd like to install Kit Kat version of Android on it so I need a rooted smartphone.

I'm going to put it step by step using the Nexus root tool kit (NRTK)

1. download a flashable recovery of your choice (CWM 6.0.4.3 Philz 6.19.3 or TWRP 2.7.0 or higher on all these)
2. download the kitkat rom you want to install
3. download the Gapps that match the rom you chose ( if a 4.4.2 rom get a 4.4.2 gapps if 4.4.4 then 4.4.4)
4. boot your phone into bootloader / fastboot
5. connect your phone to your pc (it should recognize it)
6. open your NRTK and go to the advanced section and choose to temporarily boot custom recovery (this will be TWRP 2.6.3)
7. ON YOUR PHONE select mount usb
8. ON THE COMPUTER open the device/folder for your phone and create a new file on your SD card ( I called mine " !zip " this kept it ontop of the list of files) and copy the recovery, rom, and kernel to this folder.
9. ON YOUR PHONE unmount usb, return to the main menu screen and select install, find that folder you made and select the recovery zip that you copied and swype to install
10. after it installs (10seconds) return to the main menu, select reboot then reboot recovery ( you may get a warning about not having a rom or su, ignore both)
11. now you are on your KK compatible recovery (nearly there)
12. No matter which recovery you chose find the section to wipe or format your phone (DO NOT WIPE OR FORMAT YOUR SD CARD !!!! this will wipe everything off your phone and may make it hard / impossible to restore) and ONLY wipe or format system, cache, and dalvik partitions. On philz there is an option to wipe to install a new rom (this is a onestep version of the above)
13. return to the main menu page and select install, choose your rom and install, then your gapps and install ( if on TWRP you can select both by choosing the option to add a zip to flash)
14. the moment of truth, now that you have flashed both rom and gapps, you need to return to the main menu and select reboot and reboot system...
15. assuming you did all of this issue free, you are free to enjoy your phone..

*if you don't have your phone recognized by your computer / NRTK, you need to follow the instructions for NRTK to get the correct drivers for your computer
**if you are not clear on what you are doing, ask before you make a mistake

***Your custom rom will be pre-rooted, so no need to try to root it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread