Post Reply

Nexus S power button conspiracy theory/oddity

OP knarfrabot

18th February 2012, 10:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag L.A.
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
My power button has been malfunctioning for about 2 months now. That isn't to say it is 100% dead, but at times it'll work if I smack the button about a few times, and sometimes it will be completely unresponsive. I have read up on the subject and found a thread with a response from a guy claiming to be an engineer who said the micro switches they use in these phones are somewhat weak and only work for a limited number of presses. Recently, I changed roms, and to my surprise the power button worked great for a short period of time. Since then, I've found that when my power button starts acting up, wiping the dalvik cache put it back to normal. This lead me to thinking, and I've come to believe it could very well be a hardware problem that is meant to happen. I am by no means a coder/programmer but I have studied it enough to know that certain code can be written for a device that sets a "timer" for a piece of hardware to die out or malfunction. If that's the case with this, then it makes sense somewhat that wiping the dalvik cache resets this timer for a short time. Anyone have any thoughts? Am I crazy tinfoil hat wearer or does this make some sense?
18th February 2012, 11:32 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
VanCoVer
Thanks Meter: 76
 
357 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfrabot

My power button has been malfunctioning for about 2 months now. That isn't to say it is 100% dead, but at times it'll work if I smack the button about a few times, and sometimes it will be completely unresponsive. I have read up on the subject and found a thread with a response from a guy claiming to be an engineer who said the micro switches they use in these phones are somewhat weak and only work for a limited number of presses. Recently, I changed roms, and to my surprise the power button worked great for a short period of time. Since then, I've found that when my power button starts acting up, wiping the dalvik cache put it back to normal. This lead me to thinking, and I've come to believe it could very well be a hardware problem that is meant to happen. I am by no means a coder/programmer but I have studied it enough to know that certain code can be written for a device that sets a "timer" for a piece of hardware to die out or malfunction. If that's the case with this, then it makes sense somewhat that wiping the dalvik cache resets this timer for a short time. Anyone have any thoughts? Am I crazy tinfoil hat wearer or does this make some sense?

I AGREE! I thought it broke a while ago but I did a complete wipe and put a brand new rom on it. Heck I almost sent it to Sammy but for some reason it stared working. I dont think its the dalvik cache though. I have a feeling its ClockworkMod Recovery because sometimes it says a key was disabled and I had problems after that. I couldnt lock my phone.
19th February 2012, 01:22 AM   |  #3  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,946
 
26,359 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfrabot

My power button has been malfunctioning for about 2 monthsnow. That isn't to say it is 100% dead, but at times it'll work if I smack the button about a few times, and sometimes it will be completely unresponsive. I have read up on the subject and found a thread with a response from a guy claiming to be an engineer who said the micro switches they use in these phones are somewhat weak and only work for a limited number of presses. Recently, I changed roms, and to my surprise the power button worked great for a short period of time. Since then, I've found that when my power button starts acting up, wiping the dalvik cache put it back to normal. This lead me to thinking, and I've come to believe it could very well be a hardware problem that is meant to happen. I am by no means a coder/programmer but I have studied it enough to know that certain code can be written for a device that sets a "timer" for a piece of hardware to die out or malfunction. If that's the case with this, then it makes sense somewhat that wiping the dalvik cache resets this timer for a short time. Anyone have any thoughts? Am I crazy tinfoil hat wearer or does this make some sense?

well, you solved your own theory in your statement. since when does smacking your phone equate to a software issue? my power button went in august, mostly. it started showing the behavior that you described about 4-6 weeks beforehand. i say mostly, because the physical button doesnt work anymore(rarely a response from it). but ive figured out how to work it to my advantage/needs. i can wake my phone by shaking it now, and put the screen to sleep. also can be done with a light smack in the right place on the back of the phone. but to be practicle, i remapped my search button to use as a power button and wake my phone with the volume button. really, the only hard part is navigating in the bootloader menu since the volume buttons wont work there with the power button broken. so ive learned to work it by lightly, very lightly, tapping on a certain place on the back of the phone near the power button. this "loosens" the volume buttons and lets me navigate the menu. then i tap the phone again to make a selection. this in no way indicates a software issue/conspiracy to me. when it just started displaying this behavior, i thought it might be a software issue too. but it turned out to be all physical damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2012, 01:54 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag L.A.
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
You know, the funny thing about when it stops working is that it's never all at once.

It's a degrading process of malfunction until it takes repeated button pressing, not so much force, to work. After that it works so seldom that I'm forced to do something about it. It's for those reasons I think it's something more than a hardware problem.

From your experiences, even after a full wipe/new rom installation, your power button still doesn't work, if only for a brief time?

P.S. The new touch based recovery from team win works really well for those of us who can't use our power buttons

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
19th February 2012, 02:14 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
VanCoVer
Thanks Meter: 76
 
357 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
@simms22

Hmm my guess is that there are multiple issues that result in a malfunctioning power button. Props to remapping your search button to lock your phone. It would be a great work around if my phone ever had this problem again. Have search to lock the phone and volume keys to wake it. I'm unsure how you remapped your search button though. Maybe you can tell me how?


Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfrabot

P.S. The new touch based recovery from team win works really well for those of us who can't use our power buttons

Agreed! If you have no access to a computer with adb/fastboot control the touch ClockWorkMod recovery would be very useful.
Last edited by Tw1tchy; 19th February 2012 at 02:16 AM.
19th February 2012, 02:21 AM   |  #6  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,946
 
26,359 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfrabot

You know, the funny thing about when it stops working is that it's never all at once.

It's a degrading process of malfunction until it takes repeated button pressing, not so much force, to work. After that it works so seldom that I'm forced to do something about it. It's for those reasons I think it's something more than a hardware problem.

From your experiences, even after a full wipe/new rom installation, your power button still doesn't work, if only for a brief time?

P.S. The new touch based recovery from team win works really well for those of us who can't use our power buttons

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

ive been using twrp recovery for a while. even the non touch version has a no power button option. but i dont believe that theres anything else but hardware issues here. it is a degradation. at first it comes and goes, later it mostly just comes( ) and doesnt go. i can even hear a slight rattle in the power button area now if i shake the phone.
about after flashing.. at first, 50% of the time it would work after flashing, but it was just coincidence. but now no. btw, i flash many times a day, even then when it first started acting funny. flashing, wiping, it just doesnt make a difference, its coincidence.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw1tchy

@simms22

Hmm my guess is that there are multiple issues that result in a malfunctioning power button. Props to remapping your search button to lock your phone. It would be a great work around if my phone ever had this problem again. Have search to lock the phone and volume keys to wake it. I'm unsure how you remapped your search button though. Maybe you can tell me how?



Agreed! If you have no access to a computer with adb/fastboot control the touch ClockWorkMod recovery would be very useful.

ButtonRemapper app, available here on xda for free http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...40&postcount=1
you want v0241. i have all the power button functionality with my search key except waking the device(volume rocker wakes my device). short press screen off, long press power menu, long press plus volume down for screenshots.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2012, 03:12 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag L.A.
Thanks Meter: 0
 
15 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
@tw1tchy, I totally agree it is multiple factors, which is why I can only speak for myself based on my experiences, although your overall experience seems to be similar to mine.

@simms22, I have never noticed a rattle in my phone, its likely that you and I have different causes attributed to the power button failure.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but just for the sake of being thorough, have you tried ODIN? I noticed a substantial difference when I ODIN'ed back to stock.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
19th February 2012, 12:29 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag RiveSud Montréal
Thanks Meter: 88
 
675 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Me everytime I drop my phone on concrete my battery door opens and the battery falls of my phone...And you know what's the most odd part ...I get scratches on my phone when I pick it up .....Does anyone else gets this ??

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus S avec Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rener78 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th February 2012, 01:42 PM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
130 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
I really like my Nexus S, but I kinda hope this power button self destruct kicks in soon. I see it as a feature - to make buying a Galaxy Nexus easier to justify. Good looking out Sammy.
19th February 2012, 01:52 PM   |  #10  
voyager_s's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30
 
544 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
I've had a similar problem for the last 4 months or so. It started when I dropped my nexus without the cover onto concrete floor. Not good I know.

But anyway...ever since then the power button been funny. Sometimes it didn't work at all and I couldn't turn the screen off and on. It was really bad. It took a while but now I kind of know how to handle it. Still annoying mind u.

Basically with mine the trick is to press the button really really hard towards the top end and it works fine. I've also noticed what some others are saying about changing rooms and doing resets etc. It seems to help as well.

But yeah...I still love my nexus. Lol. I think by me dropping it is the reason for my problems. It probably landed badly and loosened some part of the connection in that section or something. But as I said...all Is good now that I know the trick to it.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hardware, power, software
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus S General by ThreadRank