No registration required
Thread Closed

Probably the smoothest/best ROM.

OP OnlySkills

30th June 2013, 03:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

92 posts
Helly Bean 4.1.2 with a Marmite kernel is what I have been running for the past 2 months.

Stock 4.1.2 lags. So in February, I went to:
-->4.2.2 has lag and a lot of stuff I do not like (lock screen swipe camera, slow lock/unlock, alarm, camera UI).

So I went to 4.1.2 (Marmite kernel):
--> CM 10 is slow, and lags
--> Slim Bean 4.1.2 is great! But the battery is horrendous
--> Helly Bean 4.1.2, just about perfect. Good battery life (although I don't like it, it's probably the best the Nexus S can do). Great performance and features.

One app I think aids in my current performance is Greenify. It has great reviews, and is probably also contributing to my phone's experience.

If you are trying to find the smoothest/fast/good battery life/reliable/best ROM combo, try out: Helly Bean 4.1.2 + Marmite kernel + Greenify.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnlySkills For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2013, 01:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 10

100 posts
Hi guy, I'm testing your advice. What type of Marmite kernel should I use ? I've downloaded "marmite_v8.7cm_bigmem", is that good ? Thanks by advance
30th June 2013, 01:21 PM   |  #3  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 208

660 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanotfat

Hi guy, I'm testing your advice. What type of Marmite kernel should I use ? I've downloaded "marmite_v8.7cm_bigmem", is that good ? Thanks by advance

Yes it's the best for Nexus S the cm or cm bigmemorie are cool, they work well with all cm based 4.1 roms. When I miss 4.1's stability I either go back to blackBean 6 or Slim rom 3.1 is the latest 4.1 slim rom (BB6 is non-cm so use the latest simple Marmite kernel, slim 4.1 versions are cm). Helly is one of the best but I can't live without renaming the Carrier lalbel, or 3g & sd card speed hacks
30th June 2013, 02:08 PM   |  #4  
Flag Coimbra
Thanks Meter: 146

747 posts
have you tried cm10 stable?i am using it with stock kernel(and even a theme) and i got no lag at all. I was never a fan of CM, but cm10 stable is really good with stock kernel, i didnt even change it
30th June 2013, 09:09 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 8

114 posts
More
Hi...
What gapps are suitable for 4.1.2 hellybean rom and if its possible give a link?
Tia....

Στάλθηκε από το Nexus S μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2
30th June 2013, 09:16 PM   |  #6  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 208

660 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by babe0607

Hi...
What gapps are suitable for 4.1.2 hellybean rom and if its possible give a link?
Tia....

Here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip
30th June 2013, 09:18 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 8

114 posts
More
Thank you very much!!!

1st July 2013, 02:38 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 88

674 posts
More
Try Jelly Shot and Devil Kernel. Super fast user experience.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app
1st July 2013, 05:51 PM   |  #9  
Flag Asnieres-Sur-Seine
Thanks Meter: 1,566

2,440 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySkills

Helly Bean 4.1.2 with a Marmite kernel is what I have been running for the past 2 months.

Stock 4.1.2 lags. So in February, I went to:
-->4.2.2 has lag and a lot of stuff I do not like (lock screen swipe camera, slow lock/unlock, alarm, camera UI).

So I went to 4.1.2 (Marmite kernel):
--> CM 10 is slow, and lags
--> Slim Bean 4.1.2 is great! But the battery is horrendous
--> Helly Bean 4.1.2, just about perfect. Good battery life (although I don't like it, it's probably the best the Nexus S can do). Great performance and features.

One app I think aids in my current performance is Greenify. It has great reviews, and is probably also contributing to my phone's experience.

If you are trying to find the smoothest/fast/good battery life/reliable/best ROM combo, try out: Helly Bean 4.1.2 + Marmite kernel + Greenify.

Yeah, Slim's battery life is horrible..?? I only get around 4 1/2 hours of screen time with a solid 24hrs with moderate use and around 2 1/2 hrs screen and 48hrs with light use... With Marmite 8.7 bigmem... Though I agree Hellybean is good, Slim is better..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post43149071
2nd July 2013, 05:04 AM   |  #10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out

Yeah, Slim's battery life is horrible..?? I only get around 4 1/2 hours of screen time with a solid 24hrs with moderate use and around 2 1/2 hrs screen and 48hrs with light use... With Marmite 8.7 bigmem... Though I agree Hellybean is good, Slim is better..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post43149071

Are we talking Slim Bean 3.1 (4.1.2) here? Or Slim Bean 4 (4.2.2) here?

Because when I was on Slim Bean 3.1, I tried many different kernels as well, but my battery life was horrid. I could barely make 8 hours. For example, I turned the GPS Navigation on, and it drained 1% every 2 minutes. So in 30 minutes to my destination, I was already down 15% battery life! Compared to my current Helly Bean, it's probably more close to 5-6% loss, which is much better. Also, on Slim 3.1, I would experience great overnight drops in battery life while the phone is idle - close to 10-15%. Now, on Helly Bean 4.1.2, I experience similar battery drain as stock rom - close to 1-2% per hour.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I contributed to that a little bit. I didn't have Greenify at that time, and also I didn't turn off Wifi/3G at times like I do now.
Last edited by OnlySkills; 2nd July 2013 at 05:09 AM.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread