5,600,182 Members 39,344 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Probably the smoothest/best ROM.

Tip us?

OnlySkills
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Probably the smoothest/best ROM.

Helly Bean 4.1.2 with a Marmite kernel is what I have been running for the past 2 months.

Stock 4.1.2 lags. So in February, I went to:
-->4.2.2 has lag and a lot of stuff I do not like (lock screen swipe camera, slow lock/unlock, alarm, camera UI).

So I went to 4.1.2 (Marmite kernel):
--> CM 10 is slow, and lags
--> Slim Bean 4.1.2 is great! But the battery is horrendous
--> Helly Bean 4.1.2, just about perfect. Good battery life (although I don't like it, it's probably the best the Nexus S can do). Great performance and features.

One app I think aids in my current performance is Greenify. It has great reviews, and is probably also contributing to my phone's experience.

If you are trying to find the smoothest/fast/good battery life/reliable/best ROM combo, try out: Helly Bean 4.1.2 + Marmite kernel + Greenify.
Nexus 4 - 16GB Black, Purity 4.4.2, Franco Kernel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnlySkills For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cartmanotfat
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hi guy, I'm testing your advice. What type of Marmite kernel should I use ? I've downloaded "marmite_v8.7cm_bigmem", is that good ? Thanks by advance
HTC Desire GSM S-OFF
HP Touchpad 32Go
ROM : Never the same because I'm a flashmaniac

dark'em
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanotfat View Post
Hi guy, I'm testing your advice. What type of Marmite kernel should I use ? I've downloaded "marmite_v8.7cm_bigmem", is that good ? Thanks by advance
Yes it's the best for Nexus S the cm or cm bigmemorie are cool, they work well with all cm based 4.1 roms. When I miss 4.1's stability I either go back to blackBean 6 or Slim rom 3.1 is the latest 4.1 slim rom (BB6 is non-cm so use the latest simple Marmite kernel, slim 4.1 versions are cm). Helly is one of the best but I can't live without renaming the Carrier lalbel, or 3g & sd card speed hacks

migueldbr
Old
Thanks Meter 96
have you tried cm10 stable?i am using it with stock kernel(and even a theme) and i got no lag at all. I was never a fan of CM, but cm10 stable is really good with stock kernel, i didnt even change it

babe0607
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hi...
What gapps are suitable for 4.1.2 hellybean rom and if its possible give a link?
Tia....

Στάλθηκε από το Nexus S μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk 2

dark'em
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by babe0607 View Post
Hi...
What gapps are suitable for 4.1.2 hellybean rom and if its possible give a link?
Tia....

Here: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

babe0607
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thank you very much!!!

Warren_Orange
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Try Jelly Shot and Devil Kernel. Super fast user experience.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Setting.Out
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySkills View Post
Helly Bean 4.1.2 with a Marmite kernel is what I have been running for the past 2 months.

Stock 4.1.2 lags. So in February, I went to:
-->4.2.2 has lag and a lot of stuff I do not like (lock screen swipe camera, slow lock/unlock, alarm, camera UI).

So I went to 4.1.2 (Marmite kernel):
--> CM 10 is slow, and lags
--> Slim Bean 4.1.2 is great! But the battery is horrendous
--> Helly Bean 4.1.2, just about perfect. Good battery life (although I don't like it, it's probably the best the Nexus S can do). Great performance and features.

One app I think aids in my current performance is Greenify. It has great reviews, and is probably also contributing to my phone's experience.

If you are trying to find the smoothest/fast/good battery life/reliable/best ROM combo, try out: Helly Bean 4.1.2 + Marmite kernel + Greenify.
Yeah, Slim's battery life is horrible..?? I only get around 4 1/2 hours of screen time with a solid 24hrs with moderate use and around 2 1/2 hrs screen and 48hrs with light use... With Marmite 8.7 bigmem... Though I agree Hellybean is good, Slim is better..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post43149071
i9023 Nexus S

CyanAOSP KitKat (4.4.2) [port]

The War Against Obscurity (ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Follow this link to see how your rom compares!!

Remember to click "thanks" for your developers and anyone that helps you!!

OnlySkills
Old
(Last edited by OnlySkills; 2nd July 2013 at 04:09 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setting.Out View Post
Yeah, Slim's battery life is horrible..?? I only get around 4 1/2 hours of screen time with a solid 24hrs with moderate use and around 2 1/2 hrs screen and 48hrs with light use... With Marmite 8.7 bigmem... Though I agree Hellybean is good, Slim is better..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post43149071
Are we talking Slim Bean 3.1 (4.1.2) here? Or Slim Bean 4 (4.2.2) here?

Because when I was on Slim Bean 3.1, I tried many different kernels as well, but my battery life was horrid. I could barely make 8 hours. For example, I turned the GPS Navigation on, and it drained 1% every 2 minutes. So in 30 minutes to my destination, I was already down 15% battery life! Compared to my current Helly Bean, it's probably more close to 5-6% loss, which is much better. Also, on Slim 3.1, I would experience great overnight drops in battery life while the phone is idle - close to 10-15%. Now, on Helly Bean 4.1.2, I experience similar battery drain as stock rom - close to 1-2% per hour.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I contributed to that a little bit. I didn't have Greenify at that time, and also I didn't turn off Wifi/3G at times like I do now.
Nexus 4 - 16GB Black, Purity 4.4.2, Franco Kernel

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe