Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,031 Members 45,199 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Real life battery stats

Tip us?

.OmEgA
Old
(Last edited by .OmEgA; 26th February 2012 at 02:51 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 311
Default Real life battery stats

Look at all these OMGZ BATTERY LASTED FIVE DAYZ AWESOME BAHHHH! I've noticed one common thing between them all, well 90% of them at least, the owners don't use their phones. You see these long battery life's but very short on screen time and very long intervals in between on screen times. Its common sense that you'll get great battery life if you let your phone sit hours on end just idling.

For the people who actually use their phone like texting, phone calls, surf various sites, and play games, having great battery life like all these people say is a dream. I want to get an idea on what real world use on your phone gets you.

Here's some screenshots of today's battery cycle, which is about average everyday for me. I've sent and received in the neighborhood of 250+ texts, surfed various sites, trolled xda, played a game for a while, and read my news.

So let's see what my life compares to all the other power users like myself vs the people who let their phone idle in the corner for three days and say they got amazing life.

Edit:
AOKP b23
Matrix 17.0
100/800 lazy

Instagram: ech0pl3x

My ICS Flavored Instagram app: Click Here

niteh@wk
Old
Thanks Meter 296
That's badass!! Though I don't use my phone much during the day at work. I check Tweetdeck for facebook and twitter timelines, XDA app, gmail, listen to music at times, read news through Pulse and Browser. Here's my battery stats for that one day that I wanted to see how my battery would hold out with deep idle on. Did not plug it in to charge entire day (I normally charge it while working).

This was on AOKP M3, Matr1x 16.0 cfs 200/1000. WiFi on in the morning when I woke up and checked some stuffs before heading to work. No WiFi at work entire day, then WiFi on again when I got home as shown in the screenshots.

b1337
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Oh geez.....yawn

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

stellar
Old
(Last edited by stellar; 26th February 2012 at 05:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 49
Not everyone uses their phones the same way you do, while I do agree that people who just let their phone idle just for the purpose of getting amazing screenshots doesn't accurately portray real world battery usage, it still doesn't mean that we all use our phones the same way you do, for example I have school during the day, I can't be using it constantly so of course I'll be getting better battery life than "power users" but then again this is MY REAL LIFE USAGE so I'm not just letting it idle on purpose, so please don't put everyone that gets good battery life on the "OH MYY GAWDZZ" boat. Also I do actually use my phone, I get everything I need to be done on my phone while consistently getting 20+ hours with 4-1/2 hours screen on time.
The Following User Says Thank You to stellar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

.OmEgA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeNah View Post
Not everyone uses their phones the same way you do, while I do agree that people who just let their phone idle just for the purpose of getting amazing screenshots doesn't accurately portray real world battery usage, it still doesn't mean that we all use our phones the same way you do, for example I have school during the day, I can't be using it constantly so of course I'll be getting better battery life than "power users" but then again this is MY REAL LIFE USAGE so I'm not just letting it idle on purpose, so please don't put everyone that gets good battery life on the "OH MYY GAWDZZ" boat. Also I do actually use my phone, I get everything I need to be done on my phone while consistently getting 20+ hours with 4-1/2 hours screen on time.
Well thank you for expressing your feelings about categorizing people. I said that because well that's what most people do on here, truth. The whole point of this is to see what people are getting that use their phones, power users or not. I just want to get a good look and filter out the people who sit on their phones, turn data off and all that. You're completely right that no one else might use their phone as much as I do but I'd rather get a good look at actual use rather than like you said, looking to get that amazing screenshot.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium
Instagram: ech0pl3x

My ICS Flavored Instagram app: Click Here

stellar
Old
Thanks Meter 49
I understand what you were trying to get at. Its just not everyone is using their phone like you do so REAL LIFE usage will vary greatly depending on the user.

b1337
Old
Thanks Meter 359
to many variables these threads are getting redundant...

jark99
Old
Thanks Meter 74
This thread makes sense! On with the reak world battery pics!

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

deetailed
Old
Thanks Meter 48
But this is my real life usage, I'm just not into heavy gaming Would've had around 5% more if I didn't get a random reboot at around 75% mark.

Activities include: email & whatsapp sync, around 10 mins phonecalls & 20 texts, reading ebook, browsing web & market, playing light game.

What makes a difference is good signal reception (all green/not using 3G unless there's no wifi and I need to download a file) and constant access to wifi (working from home, didn't need to go anywhere the last two days). Setting screen brightness on lowest unless I really need to turn it up helps too.

On heavier days when I'm out and about, using GPS navigation and mobile data, making more phonecalls & texts, taking pics, I typically get about half of that (20-24 hours).
LG Optimus L9 P765 | JB 4.1.2 V20H
Samsung Google Nexus S I9023 | JB 4.1.2 | Paranoid Android 2.55 | Marmite 7 | 1000/100 MHz ondemand/cfq & ICS 4.0.4 | CyberGR-MOD v12 | Air v4.2 | 1000/100 MHz lazy/deadline
LG-P500 Optimus One | GB 2.3.7 | CyanogenMod 7.1.0 mik_os v6.5.8 | goldenleaf v.111226-LG | 729/480 MHz smartass/sio

sonicfreak360
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetailed View Post
But this is my real life usage, I'm just not into heavy gaming Would've had around 5% more if I didn't get a random reboot at around 75% mark.

Activities include: email & whatsapp sync, around 10 mins phonecalls & 20 texts, reading ebook, browsing web & market, playing light game.

What makes a difference is good signal reception (all green/not using 3G unless there's no wifi and I need to download a file) and constant access to wifi (working from home, didn't need to go anywhere the last two days). Setting screen brightness on lowest unless I really need to turn it up helps too.

On heavier days when I'm out and about, using GPS navigation and mobile data, making more phonecalls & texts, taking pics, I typically get about half of that (20-24 hours).
What phone, and what battery capacity? :eek:

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk