Recovery problem (ICS4.0.3)

Search This thread

funcliu

Nov 1, 2011
I've seen this too. But this guy says his stock recovery works fine (with OTA i9023):confused:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20408437&postcount=1044
It can't be true cuz the update package for I9023 has not been released by Google (at least for the european version of I9023). I used to try to type in *#*#2432546#*#* in the dialing interface but nothing happened after I heard the news that 4.0 OTA has come out, just then I use the stock unrooted GRK39F.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Nedzadk

Oct 8, 2010
It can't be true cuz the update package for I9023 has not been released by Google (at least for the european version of I9023). I used to try to type in *#*#2432546#*#* in the dialing interface but nothing happened after I heard the news that 4.0 OTA has come out, just then I use the stock unrooted GRK39F.

Its not true, im from bosnia (europe) and i have i9023, this morning i got OTA ICS 4.0.3 update. It was 160Mb file, and also i read somewhere on this forum, guy from belgium also recieved update.
I was using 2.3.6. OTA update before i got this one!

Reactions: evcz

funcliu

Nov 1, 2011
Its not true, im from bosnia (europe) and i have i9023, this morning i got OTA ICS 4.0.3 update. It was 160Mb file, and also i read somewhere on this forum, guy from belgium also recieved update.
Ah, I should flash back to the stock 2.3.6 now to see what could happen...

bgdxv

Mar 6, 2011
Bucharest

please use logcat and post a link for everyone else because i can't get the ota for my i9023 even after checkin :(

elmurato

Dec 18, 2011
I found an interesting information on this german site:

handy - faq .de/forum/nexus_s_forum/231886-ota_update_ics_4_0_3_a.html (Please remove the spaces. I can't post links because I'm a new user here)

The problem is that only the BACKLIGHT isn't working with i9023 models in recovery mode. So if you have to you can use a flashlight and point it on to the screen to see something. I can confirm this. I just tested it. Maybe this will help some users...

Last edited:
Reactions: teodysalivia

EdForce1

Apr 22, 2011
For me after i flash the full ICS OTA, and try to boot into recovery, i get a black screen, but i can see a logo of the android with a red exclamation mark if i use a bright lamp. Does this mean that the recovery is not present? Anyways, i have solved the problem by following the guide to flash cwm and su for ICS. I9023

Last edited:
Reactions: xenios

langers1972

Nov 8, 2010
I've seen this too. But this guy says his stock recovery works fine (with OTA i9023):confused:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20408437&postcount=1044

Sorry, that was my mistake, I thought people couldn't even get into menu to select recovery.

I have the exact same issue but can confirm that you can see the menu if you use a flashlight so it's looking like a AMOLED vs SLCD issue.

picture.php

Last edited:

amdpox

Dec 18, 2011
Melbourne
For me after i flash the full ICS OTA, and try to boot into recovery, i get a black screen, but i can see a logo of the android with a red exclamation mark if i use a bright lamp. Does this mean that the recovery is not present?

Nope, that's normal - it looks like they've just changed the icon (used to be a yellow triangle or something) and introduced a backlight bug. If you pressed power+volume up from there as usual you'd get to recovery.

alien_x

Dec 25, 2011
Its just bcoz in recovery screen has very low brightness see it in direct sunlight or bright light n u'll see that recovery is still there.

cspader

Dec 4, 2011
so there are two solutions suggested here. one temporary and another which says that there is no problem at all.

The first is shining a light on it.
The second from what i've read is holding power button and press up.

Can anyone else confirm which is the right way?

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
The lamp will show you the android with exclamation mark (!) as soon as you hit recovery. Holding power then touching Vol. Up will then actually take you to recovery mode, where you will still need the lamp to see the options.

Basically, the stock 4.0.3 recovery has turned off the backlight on the SLCD Nexus S's, but the LCD is still on (hence you can see it by flashing a bright light on the front).

Flashing the latest CWM will solve the backlight problem and is generally recommended anyway. If you don't have an unlocked bootloader, you're pretty much stuck with a pitch black recovery and will need to use a flashlight each time you go in there.

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
It's not too late. It's no big deal without a fully-"functional" recovery if you don't want root and have a locked bootloader, if you are happy i would leave it as is. If you want or lost root, and you already have an unlocked bootloader, just follow the ICS Rooting Guide. If you are locked and not rooted, follow the first 2 parts of the rooting guide then follow the ICS Rooting Guide.

Before you do any of this: ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE WILL BE WIPED WHEN YOU UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER. Save games, system settings, sd card data (all of it), apps, etc - gone.

Reactions: cspader

joshzz28

Dec 18, 2011
After flashing ICS 4.0.3 update over Stock 2.3.6 i can't enter into recovery mode.
In bootloader if i choose RECOVERY it start loading and what i see is little green android that is shown for one second and after that the screen is black. Nothing else.

Anyone with the same problem?

Yes I am facing the exact same issue but I have found an alternate solution, you just need to unlock your bootloader which is reversible and then flash the latest clockwork mod recovery 5.0.2 onto your phone. you can then even downgrade back to GingerBread 2.3.6 using the Stock OTA ROMS available right here on xda!!!

I have taken the trouble to provide you with some quick links to what you need to do this...I have already made the switch back to GingerBread 2.3.6 if you need help just PM me.

here are the links in order...
1. first download the Android SDK. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
if your running windows choose the one with .exe, to set it up just update the drivers and install them once you open the sdk manager. then highlight Android SDK Platform tools and close the SDK manager.

2. Now get the boot loader unlocked which is reversible i.e you can lock it back if you wish...follow the link to the letter. you will also find you need to download pdanet from that link which will help get your phone recognized so its very important.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9861928#post9861928

3. After ALL OF THAT just Download the OTA Stock ROM that corresponds to your Nexus S from this informative list of ROMS.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1063664

I personally have the i9023 NExus S which had the Build number GRK39F with Radio XXK1 when it was on GingerBread 2.3.6

4. Now comes the part you've been waiting for...just use the clockwork mod recovery since your stock recovery is not working and follow the link to update your phone with 2.3.6.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Using_the_Recovery

when you do this it will also apply the stock recovery to the phone. Also remember to back up all your data as it could get wiped out.

another important point to be noted is...when you apply the clockwork mod recovery onto the phone by flashing it...every reboot would require you to flash clockwork mod recovery to get it back on the phone. just FYI
I would really appreciate that if you were going to Downgrade to Gingerbread 2.3.6 again, please keep me in the loop and if you face any problems or haev any doubts ask me first.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,you can just use fastboot to flash recovery and DO NOT reboot into OTA,
    just go into recovery from bootloader.
    Then you can go into CWM without any problem.

I use the above way to revert to gingerbread.

The OTA has a recovery check for every boot,so you should delete /etc/install-recovery.sh to avoid the f*ck rewrite of the stock recovery.

Also to get root access to remount /system, you should flash superuser.zip.
    However this will only give you root privillege in ADB shell,no root privillege for app.

I also succeed in deleting the damn script in the OTA.
    For me after i flash the full ICS OTA, and try to boot into recovery, i get a black screen, but i can see a logo of the android with a red exclamation mark if i use a bright lamp. Does this mean that the recovery is not present?

Nope, that's normal - it looks like they've just changed the icon (used to be a yellow triangle or something) and introduced a backlight bug. If you pressed power+volume up from there as usual you'd get to recovery.
    After flashing ICS 4.0.3 update over Stock 2.3.6 i can't enter into recovery mode.
    In bootloader if i choose RECOVERY it start loading and what i see is little green android that is shown for one second and after that the screen is black. Nothing else.

Anyone with the same problem?

follow these instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1396959

I found an interesting information on this german site:

handy - faq .de/forum/nexus_s_forum/231886-ota_update_ics_4_0_3_a.html (Please remove the spaces. I can't post links because I'm a new user here)

The problem is that only the BACKLIGHT isn't working with i9023 models in recovery mode. So if you have to you can use a flashlight and point it on to the screen to see something. I can confirm this. I just tested it. Maybe this will help some users...