• ...do it both ways

Votes: 52 49.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
B

bedalus

Sweet so what I gather from this is Pete's ROM has the best scores on benchmarking if all the ROMs were pitted against each other using the supplied kernel?

(Also, the User Experience column says that "kernel" is the most said word in his thread. And probably for good reason.)

Hi Aero, yeah, looks like Pete's kernel is doing the business, and also Cyanogenmod. Looking forward to getting my hands on the latest cyanogenmod kernel with its 4.0.4 upgrade. I know brainmaster is on it, and there may be a few others up to the task. Anyone seen mobile_pc lately?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Hi Aero, yeah, looks like Pete's kernel is doing the business, and also Cyanogenmod. Looking forward to getting my hands on the latest cyanogenmod kernel with its 4.0.4 upgrade. I know brainmaster is on it, and there may be a few others up to the task. Anyone seen mobile_pc lately?

you want to try another rom? heres rascream by @rascarlo(known for his awesome boot animations). its an aosp build with some tweaks and mods. im running it right now w/trinity t11. its a nice rom for the nexus s http://fitsnugly.euroskank.com/rascream/maguro/.upload/rascarlo_crespo_ota_04-07-12.zip

B

bedalus

Thanks simms... I'm trying to get on top of a backlog of stuff at the moment. If rascarlo (nice guy, helped me make a boot animation once) releases here on XDA I'll add it to the table.

I'm already accumulating UX data though...
you want to try another rom? heres rascream by @rascarlo(known for his awesome boot animations). its an aosp build with some tweaks and mods. im running it right now w/trinity t11. its a nice rom for the nexus s http://fitsnugly.euroskank.com/rascream/maguro/.upload/rascarlo_crespo_ota_04-07-12.zip

tchaari

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks simms... I'm trying to get on top of a backlog of stuff at the moment. If rascarlo (nice guy, helped me make a boot animation once) releases here on XDA I'll add it to the table.

I'm already accumulating UX data though...

Lol, I am posting just to increase your "lol" occurrences :p
Is it too difficult to change the words with expressions bedalus?
By the way, are you exploding your data limit by downloading all the content of the dev section for your UX data? :p

Last edited:

kong

Jan 30, 2012
Google Pixel 6
@bedalus

I made some final changes to the released ROM. Dunno if it will make any difference though.

Just wanna let you know that I don't mind if you'd just use the prerelease scores, but if you have some free time.... :D

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Excellent work as usual going on around here. Also, the perfection of your spreadsheets amaze me every time.

I've sussed out all of this new mathgic. I actually really like the way you've done it. You've managed to compare the supplied and T132 kernels perfectly with a percentage, you're testing and methods are spot on and it is unbelievably easy for anyone to have a look and see just how well each ROM scales with the competition. A current average for the T132 increase might be something to add here though so i don't have to average it myself later ;)

The most common words is a good start. I had a quick browse through a couple of the threads to see how they portray against the single-word UX list and it did give a decent look into many posts and often the atmosphere of the thread. As something that is likely simpler than the expression suggestion that i'm sure you're working on, maybe try and seperate words and phrases by date. Many of the threads have changed a fair bit over the months and you might find large changes for UX. Overall thread top words can be shown similar to the raw data, last couple of months or so can be shown as the current top words. Just a suggestion to try and keep everything current, critiquing very welcome (i'll sharpen my pitchfork in preperation :)).

I like the UX idea though. Great way to incorporate C++ and get a brief view of where the users place each ROM for those who don't have the time to scour through each thread like your modem and CPU. For a device that is often used several hours a day that we keep with us a slight emotional attachment is a good thing (i hear it increases screen on time too).

urko95

May 7, 2010
For Bedalus:

Hi, I'm urko95, and I'll be pleased if you bench my Rom, PlayRom!

Now it's stable and you can bench it!

Regards,

Urko

B

bedalus

@bedalus

I made some final changes to the released ROM. Dunno if it will make any difference though.

Just wanna let you know that I don't mind if you'd just use the prerelease scores, but if you have some free time.... :D

Cool. I'll check it out asap.

tchaari

Dec 27, 2011
Also cool, will check this out too. I'll drop a note into your thread when it's done.

Brainmaster cooked a new ROM based on CM9 too :)
Nexus MV is updated too ;)
Too much work for you with all these updates and these new ROMs. It is your fault in some part :p
We are the happy users of the new ROMs and the lucky readers of your Benchmarks ;)
Cheers.

B

bedalus

A current average for the T132 increase might be something to add here though so i don't have to average it myself later ;)
Thanks for the feedback Harbb. I went through about five iterations of the presentation of the 'Supplied Kernel' score. I settled on the one that is the most basic. But the average percentage is important too. At the moment it is 18%, but obviously this will shift around as more ROMs update to 4.0.4 and get the full treatment.
The most common words is a good start. I had a quick browse through a couple of the threads to see how they portray against the single-word UX list and it did give a decent look into many posts and often the atmosphere of the thread. As something that is likely simpler than the expression suggestion that i'm sure you're working on, maybe try and seperate words and phrases by date. Many of the threads have changed a fair bit over the months and you might find large changes for UX. Overall thread top words can be shown similar to the raw data, last couple of months or so can be shown as the current top words. Just a suggestion to try and keep everything current, critiquing very welcome (i'll sharpen my pitchfork in preperation :)).
I'm glad you went to the effort of comparing the UX to the threads themselves. It's something I neglected to do :eek: But you've reassured me. Your idea about the date is good. I know you like background reading, so here's something relevant: http://www.bores.com/courses/advanced/windows/files/windows.pdf

The issue of windowing applies here also. How to obtain a specific figure for fluctuating data > use an average. The longer the window, the better the average, but the lower the time specificity. Conversely, the shorter the window, the better the time specificity, but the worse the average.

To be honest, I don't intend to resolve these issues. The UX benchmark was just a bit of fun, and I may remove it unless I (or anyone else) can think up some way to make it more useful.

I like the UX idea though. Great way to incorporate C++ and get a brief view of where the users place each ROM for those who don't have the time to scour through each thread like your modem and CPU. For a device that is often used several hours a day that we keep with us a slight emotional attachment is a good thing (i hear it increases screen on time too).

Emotional attachment is bad for the battery. Perhaps I should add that to the list.

B

bedalus

Brainmaster cooked a new ROM based on CM9 too :)
Nexus MV is updated too ;)
Too much work for you with all these updates and these new ROMs. It is your fault in some part :p
We are the happy users of the new ROMs and the lucky readers of your Benchmarks ;)
Cheers.

Thanks tchaari!

Oodie

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 6, 2011
Kuliyapitiya
My hired assassin just confirmed the death of bedalus . Been planning this for severel months and at last he got him while bedalus is sitting on a bench doing marking :D
I'm so happy that my money didn't get wasted .

..Generated from Tapatalk..

Reactions: glennkaonang
B

bedalus

My hired assassin just confirmed the death of bedalus . Been planning this for severel months and at last he got him while bedalus is sitting on a bench doing marking :D
I'm so happy that my money didn't get wasted .

..Generated from Tapatalk..

zombie bedalus is here... I now benchmark and eat people.

Harbb - I've added the average gain to the very bottom row.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks, but I've tried these

#1st place: Pixel Rom 1.6 ICS (Android 4.0.4) moves up to number #1!
    #4th place: CyberGR-MOD|NS.NGN ICS v.9 HYBRID
    #5th place: ICS 4.0.4 IMM26 v1.1 (android 4.0.4) thanks evilisto

And they are all crap about stability,

Peter Alfonso Nightlies are the best rom. Stable and smooth with no equals, you can use it everyday

This is really not very kind of you and i found it a little bit "DISRESPECTFUL"..!!
    Ok it`s your opinion and you can always share it with other users in here but please don`t express them in that way..!!
    Please "RESPECT" every Dev`s work and if you have a problem don`t hesitate to ask them or take a look into every ROM`s thread (Look for a F.A.Q) or anything that may be helpful for you but please don`t say "CRAP" specially if you didn`t even tried to do something of the above!!
    Thanks, but I've tried these

#1st place: Pixel Rom 1.6 ICS (Android 4.0.4) moves up to number #1!
    #4th place: CyberGR-MOD|NS.NGN ICS v.9 HYBRID
    #5th place: ICS 4.0.4 IMM26 v1.1 (android 4.0.4) thanks evilisto

And they are all crap about stability,

Peter Alfonso Nightlies are the best rom. Stable and smooth with no equals, you can use it everyday

Stability :eek: lol .. all the roms you mentioned are rock solid to me .
    ( if you know how to use a phone by the way )
    Tried all 3 and no stability issues
    Im fully with you. come on guys. the man does it for free!! He works his ass off for us. He could also make the rom and not release it, but make it only for his own use.
    be grateful for what we are getting!!

Amen to the AWESOME DEVS :D :D
    they make our phone 5 times worth it!!

My work is very humble (no source) by comparison to the stuff that can be gleaned from AOSP trees - only filling users needs where I can.

However - whilst turds will throw **** like this at what we've shared with the Nexus S community - I just ask myself -

"What does ugo999 bring to the Nexus S community - what is he sharing that benefits others in here????"

I'm trying to spread a little love to the 4G community at the moment. That IS what this is about for sure. Too many jumped up ****s who contribute nothing and profess to know everything.

As I say - my work is humble; just about delivering the right recipe for the job. That is what I try to contribute.

If my ROM isn't stable - as Oodie says - this ugo999 possibly doesn't know how to use the phone.
    Don't you think "popularity" is going a little too far? It will definitely lead to fights...all the devs are good and I don't think prominence is a good indicator of a good rom

But it's up to you ;)

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
    This is really not very kind of you and i found it a little bit "DISRESPECTFUL"..!!
    Ok it`s your opinion and you can always share it with other users in here but please don`t express them in that way..!!
    Please "RESPECT" every Dev`s work and if you have a problem don`t hesitate to ask them or take a look into every ROM`s thread (Look for a F.A.Q) or anything that may be helpful for you but please don`t say "CRAP" specially if you didn`t even tried to do something of the above!!

I completely understand this from Cybergr. When someone tries hard to make you a special gift and you say to him "this is crap", Just try ro imagine what he can feel.
    Respect to the developers please and don't forget that all what you find in this forum are kind gifts from them ;)