Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,599 Members 36,105 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RESOLVED] WIFI ERROR after unlock/root. Camera also not working

Tip us?

heinrich
Old
(Last edited by heinrich; 30th December 2010 at 07:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Talking [RESOLVED] WIFI ERROR after unlock/root. Camera also not working

Wifi no longer works on my 2.3.1 Nexus S after rooting. Can anyone please help? I see possible driver solutions to the same problem under Nexus S, but assume the driver for Nexus S is not the same. When I try to enable wifi it says ERROR. I just discovered the camera also is not working.

Edit: Momohamed20's stock NAND fixed all my problems YAY!!

jboehle
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've seen Wifi not work on mine running 2.3.1, I haven't rooted, usually it's after I try to turn on Wifi Hotspot and get the "Error" message, then Wifi won't work again until I reboot.

heinrich
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
well i've rebooted and gone to fastboot and restore boot many times ... no difference

URPREY
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrich View Post
well i've rebooted and gone to fastboot and restore boot many times ... no difference
A friend of mine just returned his to Best Buy because he was having the same issues. His new one doesn't have the issue
OnePlus One..:..64GB Sandstone Black rooted
Nexus 5..:..32GB rooted
Nexus 7 LTE(2013)..:..32GB rooted

heinrich
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Dudes this is totally not cool. My phone is hosed. All I did was take a working 2.3.1 and unlock/root it

unremarked
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:
Dudes this is totally not cool. My phone is hosed. All I did was take a working 2.3.1 and unlock/root it
Have you flashed either the MCR or CM7 ROMs in the Development section and still had the same problem?

Or the stock 2.3.1 NAND backup floating around in there too.
Devices: G1 > Droid > Nexus One > G2 > myTouch 4G > Nexus S > Fascinate > Thunderbolt > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Galaxy Nexus > iPhone 5 > Galaxy S3 > Droid DNA > Galaxy S4 > One > iPhone 5S > Nexus 5 / Nexus 7

Bronk93
Old
Thanks Meter 52
I just got my NS today its rooted with working camera and wifi, I'm also on 2.3.1. What I did was unlock the bootloader and rooted using the superboot method. You don't have to mess with anything else. I've read in several posts if you use other methods it can cause the issues your having

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

heinrich
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I just flashed the boot image from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884194 and the camera now works again, but not wifi. I can't find the stoclk NAND or I'd flash that. I see a link to the stock system.img in the thread I link to in this post, but it's a broken link

heinrich
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
No I haven't tried the MCR o CM7 -- no idea what they are but will go find out.

unremarked
Old
Thanks Meter 184
Quote:
No I haven't tried the MCR o CM7 -- no idea what they are but will go find out.
Ah, okay, MCR is Modaco Custom Rom and CM7 is Cyanogenmod 7. They're both very good custom ROMS based on Android 2.3.1 with some added features and/or other changes. MCR is closer to stock, imo, if that's something you're interested in.

In order to flash them to your device you need to be rooted(which you said you are), and be able to flash Clockwork Recovery via fastboot or ROM Manager. If you're not familiar with Clockwork recovery/ROM Manager, check out this thread before proceeding: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875875
Devices: G1 > Droid > Nexus One > G2 > myTouch 4G > Nexus S > Fascinate > Thunderbolt > iPhone 4 > iPhone 4S > Galaxy Nexus > iPhone 5 > Galaxy S3 > Droid DNA > Galaxy S4 > One > iPhone 5S > Nexus 5 / Nexus 7