Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Learn to Sync Files Between Android And PC with Unison

Dropbox and similar cloud services are great if youre planning to keep your files … more

OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[RESOLVED] WIFI ERROR after unlock/root. Camera also not working

OP heinrich

30th December 2010, 02:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 7

203 posts
Wifi no longer works on my 2.3.1 Nexus S after rooting. Can anyone please help? I see possible driver solutions to the same problem under Nexus S, but assume the driver for Nexus S is not the same. When I try to enable wifi it says ERROR. I just discovered the camera also is not working.

Edit: Momohamed20's stock NAND fixed all my problems YAY!!
Last edited by heinrich; 30th December 2010 at 08:05 PM.
30th December 2010, 02:10 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I've seen Wifi not work on mine running 2.3.1, I haven't rooted, usually it's after I try to turn on Wifi Hotspot and get the "Error" message, then Wifi won't work again until I reboot.
30th December 2010, 02:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

203 posts
well i've rebooted and gone to fastboot and restore boot many times ... no difference
30th December 2010, 04:33 AM   |  #4  
Flag Louisville, KY
Thanks Meter: 99

1,027 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinrich

well i've rebooted and gone to fastboot and restore boot many times ... no difference

A friend of mine just returned his to Best Buy because he was having the same issues. His new one doesn't have the issue
30th December 2010, 05:37 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

203 posts
Dudes this is totally not cool. My phone is hosed. All I did was take a working 2.3.1 and unlock/root it
30th December 2010, 05:39 AM   |  #6  
Out There
Thanks Meter: 190

882 posts
More
Quote:

Dudes this is totally not cool. My phone is hosed. All I did was take a working 2.3.1 and unlock/root it

Have you flashed either the MCR or CM7 ROMs in the Development section and still had the same problem?

Or the stock 2.3.1 NAND backup floating around in there too.
30th December 2010, 06:00 AM   |  #7  
Flag Central, FL
Thanks Meter: 52

785 posts
I just got my NS today its rooted with working camera and wifi, I'm also on 2.3.1. What I did was unlock the bootloader and rooted using the superboot method. You don't have to mess with anything else. I've read in several posts if you use other methods it can cause the issues your having

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
30th December 2010, 06:05 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

203 posts
I just flashed the boot image from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=884194 and the camera now works again, but not wifi. I can't find the stoclk NAND or I'd flash that. I see a link to the stock system.img in the thread I link to in this post, but it's a broken link
30th December 2010, 06:07 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

203 posts
No I haven't tried the MCR o CM7 -- no idea what they are but will go find out.
30th December 2010, 06:12 AM   |  #10  
Out There
Thanks Meter: 190

882 posts
More
Quote:

No I haven't tried the MCR o CM7 -- no idea what they are but will go find out.

Ah, okay, MCR is Modaco Custom Rom and CM7 is Cyanogenmod 7. They're both very good custom ROMS based on Android 2.3.1 with some added features and/or other changes. MCR is closer to stock, imo, if that's something you're interested in.

In order to flash them to your device you need to be rooted(which you said you are), and be able to flash Clockwork Recovery via fastboot or ROM Manager. If you're not familiar with Clockwork recovery/ROM Manager, check out this thread before proceeding: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875875

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread