Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 36,286 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Google Nexus S Take Apart Repair Guide

Tip us?

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 740
Post Samsung Google Nexus S Take Apart Repair Guide

Does your outer touchscreen have been damaged or cracked? This take apart repair guide will help you to fix your damaged screen or other internal part on your Samsung Google Nexus S.

This guide will help you to install the following Samsung Google Nexus S replacement parts:
  • Samsung Google Nexus S Screen Assembly Replacement
  • Other Samsung Google Nexus S Parts

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips

Samsung Goggle Nexus S disassembly guide:
  • The first step will be to remove the back battery cover and the battery.
  • Using a small Phillips screwdriver, remove the six (6) screws holding the back housing in place, as shown in Figure 1.

Figure 1
  • Using a safe open pry tool, pry the back housing away from the rest of the device. It will be clipped into place, so carefully work your way around all edges with your pry tool.
  • Remove the three (3) small Phillips screws holding the motherboard in place. There will also be two (2) flex cables that will need to be released. These are simple pop connectors that only need to be lifted with a safe open pry tool to release.

Figure 2
  • The motherboard can now be safely removed.
  • We are now left with the screen assembly and front case. Using a heat gun or hair dryer, heat the outside edges of the outer screen for 45-60 seconds. Use quick movements and do not stay in one area for too long.
  • Now, using a safe open pry tool, pry the screen assembly away from the front cover and bezel. Reheat if necessary.

Figure 3
  • Your screen assembly can now be replaced.

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
Repair Technician
http://www.repairsuniverse.com/fitti...tructions.html

Did our post help you? Give us a "Thanks"
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doc_v15
Old
Thanks Meter 95
The screen is the super hardest part, tried with heat gun, but seams like it stick forever

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_v15 View Post
The screen is the super hardest part, tried with heat gun, but seams like it stick forever
It shouldn't hard. Just use a pry tool and work your way round gently and slowly prying the screen up from the frame.
Repair Technician

Räph96
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Hi,

i have bought a new display and installed it but the touchscreen isn`t working! Display works, all the connections of the screen to the mainboard are placed properly. Is the new screen defective?

shockem
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 339

DONATE TO ME
Nice guide!

Sent from my Nexus S
Current Phone: Google Nexus 4
Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google Nexus S, HTC HD2, HTC Desire, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, etc.

Add me to your circles on Google+

Follow me on Twitter @vevekkk

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Räph96 View Post
Hi,

i have bought a new display and installed it but the touchscreen isn`t working! Display works, all the connections of the screen to the mainboard are placed properly. Is the new screen defective?
If its not a connection issue then it could be a bad screen. Does the touch screen on your original still function ok? You may wish to contact your supplier.
Repair Technician

repairsuniverse
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockem View Post
Nice guide!

Sent from my Nexus S
Thanks. Glad it helps!
Repair Technician

jasonmaloney
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 259

DONATE TO ME
When attempting to disassemble my NS4G to do this repair, I encountered a lot of difficulty trying to remove the back housing without disturbing/breaking the front bezel. Fortunately, the replacement assembly I was installing came with a new bezel already installed; but had I needed to salvage the original (or if I ever need to disassemble the device again), do you have any more specific advice about properly removing the back housing?

Granted, I was using a guitar pick instead of a safe open pry tool, but I couldn't seem to do it without causing the bezel to come undone opposite my prying.
-- Jason
My GitHubAndroid Downloads

Räph96
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by repairsuniverse View Post
If its not a connection issue then it could be a bad screen. Does the touch screen on your original still function ok? You may wish to contact your supplier.
Yes, the old screen is working. Also i contacted the supplier. Somebody said that there are 2 versions for i9023. Is that true?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA

Prajnacara
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Excellent useful and informative thread.
Thank you!

Tags
nexus s, repair, samsung, screen assembly, screen repair