UPDATE: Google has put up the full image for 4.1.1 [i9023, i9020a and i9020t] . Now you do not need to clean flash ICS and then JB. Follow the part 1 of the guide below and flash the JB image instead of ICS. Nothing more to it.
Thanks anshumandash for pointing it out
That being said, I wanted to have the real stock image on my Nexus S and then Upgrade to JellyBean. Below are the steps that I took.
- Go to this GoogleAndroidImages page and download the appropriate image for your phone & download. Since mine is an international version a.k.a I9023, I chose that ROM.
- The download will be a tar.gz file. Use a utility like 7Zip to uncompress it. The tar.gz will have a .tar file inside and the /tar file will have a folder. Extract the folder to your PC. For my download, the folder was named soju-imm76d
Next Steps will wipe your phone, completely
- Reboot your phone into bootloader mode.
- Open a command prompt, navigate to the folder in step 2.
- Enter the below commands, the image file names are for my download, modify it to the file names in your folder before running (I assume that you have fastboot working)
After the last step, the phone reboots and takes you to the initial setup screen.
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-crespo-i9020xxkl1.img
fastboot flash radio radio-crespo-i9020xxki1.img
fastboot -w update image-soju-imm76d.zip
Additionally, I reflashed CWM and the the JellyBean OTA along with superuser. Below are the steps for that
- Download the OTA from google server. This thread by oldblue910 is kept updated with the latest updates. Currently it has OTA's for I9023 and I9020A
- Download the superuser from androidsu website. This is the RC version 3.2
- Download the latest clocworkmod recovery touch-version non-touch-version
- For simplicity sake, put all the files downloaded at a single folder
- Reboot phone into bootloader mode.
- Open a command prompt and go to the folder in step 4.
- Now execute this fastboot command to flash the CWM recovery. Change the filename to the file you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-crespo.img
- Now using the vol down key choose to go to recovery.
- There, using the options, navigate to the install zip from sdcard and first install the OTA and then the superuser zip file.
- Reboot. You now have rooted JB
PS: I additionally did a fastboot oem lock and fastboot oem unlock back to back to wipe my sdcard too
Reason for this post?
Originally Posted by dEris
Because if you're not on stock 4.0.4 image, you cannot flash the OTA zip. You get a Status 7 error.
This isn't "his" way. It's the official Google way if you go to the Google site to download stock images