XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu OS

Tip us?

Grahaman27
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Ubuntu OS

I know its coming, I will just sit here and wait for ubuntu roms for this phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grahaman27 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

superng888
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Zedomax did made a port of Ubuntu to our nexus s you can check it out on YouTube
The Following User Says Thank You to superng888 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karajim80
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'll wait with you mate..

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

apatal
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1903
Just checking in/getting in line. Saw a demo at Engadget and the OS looks really promising. Hope a dev can optimize it for the NS.

poetxo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Waiting

I just hope they can get it working for the NS4G. I might waiver an upgrade for that one.

stuffinthesky
Old
Thanks Meter 425
Very interested in this as well. Looking forward to giving it a run.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

mutantlx
Old
Thanks Meter 16
+1 on that might be nice for a an alternative to play with for a while.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

jophil2412
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I hope that they will get it to work, but i think we might have good chances to see a rom since you can use the Android drivers (thats what i've read). So lets hope

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

hp420
Old
(Last edited by hp420; 3rd January 2013 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 832
I think there's a good chance NS will get ubuntu, but my question is how will it run? Most likely I'll have my N4 well before we ever see an ubuntu rom for NS4G, especially. I think sprint is going to put canonical through the ringer when it comes to getting binaries integrated, and it may never happen, because sprint doesn't want us flashing our cdma device. They are perfectly happy having us stay at ota firmware for the life of the device, whether it's activated or not. Google has a hard enough time getting sprint to release timely updates, and android DOMINATES the smartphone market. Ubuntu is really going to be a crapshot with cdma, methinks

Honestly, my opinion is to get a GSM nexus device if you want ubuntu for phone and you don't already own one....otherwise you may never see a build. Not one that actually utilizes the binaries to get a functioning phone and mobile data, at least

I think I should add that I would love to run ubuntu on any/every device I can get my hands on. I'm admittedly and openly an android fanboy...I know it....but ubuntu for phone could just bea the firmware os that makes me ditch android!! The thought of all my devices, including my PC all being able to sync every single app and piece of data is enough to make this uber-nerd's knees buckle. I recently switched to ubuntu full time. I don't even have a windows 7 partition on my pc anymore, and I haven't used windows 7 for more than 5 minutes on someone else's desktop in the ~4 months since I switched. It's been the best few months of my computer-related life!! I'm actually learning how to use a computer, rather than letting the computer use me lol
The Following User Says Thank You to hp420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arronov
Old
Thanks Meter 11
looks promising... I wish this os will make battery phones much longer than android

The Following User Says Thank You to arronov For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]