Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 48,462 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu OS

Tip us?

ross231
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Ubuntu.

Moto G
Stock 4.3
Sony tablet S
Stock 4.0.3 Release 1A not rooted
iPod Touch 1G

supertx2
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I think they are talking about this ubuntu youtube.com/watch?v=sLtcj7FdIYA
The Following User Says Thank You to supertx2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hp420
Old
Thanks Meter 863
I think I should mention the following, since it relates to whether Nexus S will get ubuntu or not.....

What we need:

What we have:

It requires an arm cortex-9 cpu.....nexus s runs arm cortex-8. looks like once again, Nexus S will be getting the shaft. Get used to it, though.....it's not going to get any better for us. Nexus S is a dead device.....people don't give a rat's ass about us anymore, it seems It's amazing to me that the N1 got such a long life of support. They got every single android version up until ICS launched.....but as soon as Nexus S falls two generations behind it gets dropped like a bad habit. You know what NS got??? About 15 GB updates, one ICS, and it barely even made it to JB by the skin of its teeth. Google didn't even comment on whether we'd be getting it or not until the last second because they didn't want to give it to us at all.

It just seems to me like all any manufacturer cares about anymore is making people buy new devices. No companies give the slightest crap about what the customer wants anymore, and it's just sad. There's absolutely no reason NS4G couldn't have at least gotten 4.2 just to keep it up to par with the gsm NS, at least.
The Following User Says Thank You to hp420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fedpisano
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I do not want to be a retrograde, but I think the smartphone market is faster than our money. The phones go on and you have not even finished paying for your new mobile phone that is already the most powerful. We are the victims of war competition with people who do not care about the customers. Android then lately is worse off. Mobile phones are more powerful then use that usually makes an average consumer. To run the most used applications do not need 2 gb of ram and quadcore processors. This is not to say that I do not attract smartphones like the Nexus 4 ...

I could be wrong, but I think Ubuntu os will run on Nexus s as it spins in a good Android 4.2.1 and thanks to XDA developers and Cyanogenmod.

BenHeng
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Cannonical website do say that it's develloped for dual-core devices.... our phone having outdated (compared to minimal specs) single core processors, I fear we'll never have a trully good experience...

Jhyrachy
Old
Thanks Meter 9
if you remember well, someone ported ICS on nexus 1.
it was not fast or smooth, but they done it.

I'll hope that someone could make the same "miracle" with ubuntu.
Maybe it will bot be a daily-use ROM, but, at least, we could try it.

4I-I
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHeng View Post
Cannonical website do say that it's develloped for dual-core devices.... our phone having outdated (compared to minimal specs) single core processors, I fear we'll never have a trully good experience...
Dual core is just for the "good" devices single core arm 9 is the lowest specs a phone should have! But maybe someone will get it working on our arm 8!
I flash roms therefore i am!!

Mawtin
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Even a port would be great! I'd love to try it out

styckx
Old
Thanks Meter 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp420 View Post
It just seems to me like all any manufacturer cares about anymore is making people buy new devices. No companies give the slightest crap about what the customer wants anymore, and it's just sad. There's absolutely no reason NS4G couldn't have at least gotten 4.2 just to keep it up to par with the gsm NS, at least.
There comes a point in time when a manufacture has to move on. Nexus S with 4.2 is slow as hell and laggy and trips over its own feet most of the time. 4.1.2 was pretty much the same story. Most were surprised it even got Jellybean in the first place as we were calling this phone slow and outdated on ICS. It's two years old.. In technology that equals about 20 years. I'm nearing the end of my two year contract on this phone and can't wait to move my phone plan off it. I honestly never use it except for a phone anymore as my Nexus 7 is my work horse. The only way to enjoy this handset is get something light like RasBean and don't load it up with persistant apps.. CM 10.1 is complete joke on it and I honestly think they're wasting their resources developing for this phone still. Just my opinion.

It's a legendary device and labored on far longer in active development than it should have.
Current OS: Dual boot / Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04
Current PC i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz / 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline @ 1600MHz / 2X - GTX 680 Twin Frozr SLI / P8Z68 DELUXE / 2TB/1TB/1TB
Current active devices: Nexus 4 / Nexus 10 / Chromecast
Former devices: Nexus 7 / Nexus S 4G / Galaxy Tab 10.1 / Samsung Epic 4G / Samsung Moment
Google+ Profile: DELETED

hp420
Old
Thanks Meter 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by styckx View Post
There comes a point in time when a manufacture has to move on. Nexus S with 4.2 is slow as hell and laggy and trips over its own feet most of the time. 4.1.2 was pretty much the same story. Most were surprised it even got Jellybean in the first place as we were calling this phone slow and outdated on ICS. It's two years old.. In technology that equals about 20 years. I'm nearing the end of my two year contract on this phone and can't wait to move my phone plan off it. I honestly never use it except for a phone anymore as my Nexus 7 is my work horse. The only way to enjoy this handset is get something light like RasBean and don't load it up with persistant apps.. CM 10.1 is complete joke on it and I honestly think they're wasting their resources developing for this phone still. Just my opinion.

It's a legendary device and labored on far longer in active development than it should have.
then you need to check your settings, tweaks, kernel, etc. I'm getting amazing performance from 4.2!! ICS was a little slow, but 4.1 jb fixed all of that. I had some problems with vanilla, untouched aosp but when I started tweaking it and got a good solid kernel installed, everything was as it should be. If it can be done with roms, kernels and tweaks available to me on this website, it should be able to be done by the aosp team.....i'm just saying....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hp420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]