Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,858 Members 36,564 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ubuntu OS

Tip us?

Androyed
Old
(Last edited by Androyed; 14th January 2013 at 05:53 PM.)
Thanks Meter 104
Rasbean + marmite + seeder tweak is smooth as a baby's bottom (smartassv2, cfq). It stopped me from upgrading to a Nexus 4. With this setup, I can hold it out for another year.

Sure, I won't be able to play a lot of games. But it's not like it has become less "fast/slow" than it was before. It's still the same phone. It's faster actually, with the setup I currently have. I've walked around with an unstable MIUI build for months. Two years ago, did you not think the Nexus S was the ****? That it was totally smooth and fast and cool and hip? Well, its smoothness hasn't changed. Your opinion has. Jelly Bean was a little laggier, but with rasbean, marmite and the seeder tweak you have nothing to complain about.

That being said, eventually you will need to upgrade. I just don't think it is as bad as some people make it look like. I'm still enjoying my Nexus S. I never knew that browsing could be so smooth.

Logomotph
Old
Thanks Meter 47
I'm running jellyshot 2.1 + marmite and have around 100 apps installed. It works great. The only extra thing I did was use Autostarts to stop apps I don't use from randomly starting up. Pretty smooth and I'm gonna hold on to it for as long as I can. Of course, this is aided by my n7.

From a Nexus S bathing in Jelly Beans
You might have xxxx thanks in your thanks meter, but that doesn't mean you're better than everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Logomotph For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ubnub82
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I'd like Ubuntu OS and if we manage to get a port of it I would definitely try it. Probably wouldn't keep it installed though so hopefully when the SGS4 comes out it will get a port.
Current Phones:
Htc One
Rom: Android Revolution

Past phones:
Samsung Moment
HTC Hero CDMA
Nexus S 4G

hp420
Old
Thanks Meter 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed View Post
Rasbean + marmite + seeder tweak is smooth as a baby's bottom (smartassv2, cfq). It stopped me from upgrading to a Nexus 4. With this setup, I can hold it out for another year.

Sure, I won't be able to play a lot of games. But it's not like it has become less "fast/slow" than it was before. It's still the same phone. It's faster actually, with the setup I currently have. I've walked around with an unstable MIUI build for months. Two years ago, did you not think the Nexus S was the ****? That it was totally smooth and fast and cool and hip? Well, its smoothness hasn't changed. Your opinion has. Jelly Bean was a little laggier, but with rasbean, marmite and the seeder tweak you have nothing to complain about.

That being said, eventually you will need to upgrade. I just don't think it is as bad as some people make it look like. I'm still enjoying my Nexus S. I never knew that browsing could be so smooth.
An act of God couldn't keep me from buying a Nexus 4 lol I love my NS, but I noticed a gian decline in development when the GN came, an even bigger decline with JB 4.1, and now that NS has officially been killed off with 4.2 I have a hard time not upgrading. PLus the price, the specs, the 42mbps wireless data....also, I should mention another large motivation is that I am sick and tired of sprint gauging my wallet every month for over $100 per line. I'll stop with the OT though

As for Ubuntu, this is definitely something I want, and would keep installed over android if it's anything like I expect it will be. Coupled with the fact that I've permanently switched to Ubuntu on my desktop and they are talking about the mobile OS being 100% compatible with the desktop version....it's like everything I could ever dream of!

It will most likely never be official for Nexus S, but we know it's already running on a Galaxy Nexus and it's safe to assume that we'll see a Nexus 4 version. This is all the motivation I need to stay with the Nexus family for life (as if I needed any further motivation anyway lol)

4I-I
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Default AW: Ubuntu OS

Maybe when the image for the gnex is finished somebody would be able to port it to the ns!

Here's a link to the thread where the image will be posted:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2087582
I flash roms therefore i am!!

migueldbr
Old
Thanks Meter 125
would be awesome if someone could port this to our NS when its available!

giaomnitel1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androyed View Post

I currently have CM10.1 + Marmite (7.3.1) ... with Trebuchet Launcher
It is much better than the stock rom, but I always notice a little stuttering while switching home screens or in the drawer.

Have you the same issues? Do you suggest me to try that combination?
Could the Seeder tweak be the solution alone? I like the CM10.1 and it is updated to 4.2.2 (don't know about Rasbean).

Thank you

xbs
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Try CM 10.1 + Matr1x + Seeder + Nova Launcher
~ Nexus 7 2013 (Flo) [CM 11] ~ Transformer (TF101) [KatKiss-KitKat] ~ Nexus S (Crespo) [CM 11] ~

spider623
Old
Thanks Meter 193
the images are out, how many days until the first alpha port???

bets start now:

2 weeks tops

giaomnitel1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs View Post
Try CM 10.1 + Matr1x + Seeder + Nova Launcher
Thank you...
I have just tried these combinations (all with CM10.1):
  • Marmite 7.3.1 + Trebuchet (my original combination)
  • Matr1x 25 CFS + Nova
  • Matr1x 25 BFS + Nova
  • Marmite 7.3.1 + Nova

I can see that, as regards speed, I noticed that the Marmite kernel is always faster than Matr1x... and that Nova is always faster than Trebuchet.
Furthermore, I cannot OC with any of the kernels I have tried... it just freezes and/or reboots after 1-2minutes.

So, the best combination for me is currently Marmite 7.3.1 + Nova.
As regards Governor/Scheduler, I'm using SmartassV2 and Row, but I have to say that SmartAssV2 drains my battery faster than OnDemand ...
Any suggestion?

What about seeder? Do you mean this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1987032
I have also installed it and set it to Aggressive profile, but have not noticed any improvement...
Sometimes there are still FPS drops and little stuttering in the homescreens.. btw, maybe I'm asking too much to my Nexus S

Thank you