Ubuntu OS

Search This thread

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
I've heard there is no WhatsApp on Ubuntu. Is that true?

do you really need that thing for a phone os that is out for only 24h?

let it mature and let them build an webapp first and then we will get it, plus the current whatsapp is no good, it only works on a few platforms and compared to viber that is truly free and runs in every mobile platform out there and also let you do voice calls, well it's not even useful not to mention that whatsapp is under beta and after that they will charge

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

btw i get this error when i'm trying to build from cm10.1, any hints??

Code:
user@990FXLinux:~/android$ breakfast crespo
including vendor/cm/vendorsetup.sh
ls: cannot access device/*/crespo/cm.mk: No such file or directory
build/core/product_config.mk:234: *** Cannot locate config makefile for product "cm_crespo".  Stop.
Device crespo not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository from CyanogenMod Github (http://github.com/CyanogenMod).
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "build/tools/roomservice.py", line 59, in <module>
    result = json.loads(urllib2.urlopen(githubreq).read())
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 406, in open
    response = meth(req, response)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 519, in http_response
    'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 444, in error
    return self._call_chain(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 378, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 527, in http_error_default
    raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
ls: cannot access device/*/crespo/cm.mk: No such file or directory
build/core/product_config.mk:234: *** Cannot locate config makefile for product "cm_crespo".  Stop.

** Don't have a product spec for: 'cm_crespo'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

Reactions: hp420

hp420

Jul 31, 2011
Gainesville, Fl
Google Nexus 4
T-Mobile LG G2
guys those 'free voice calling' apps are absolute garbage!! If you want good quality voice calls then use SIP. You open an account on a server that hosts and re-routes your calls to an app installed on your device using your google voice account. The sound quality is lightyears better than grooveIP, etc.

check out this thread here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2057887

do #5 simonics gateway.

The only downfall to this is a different phone number and no mms to that phone number. otherwise this is the easiest way to get decent quality free voice calling ;)

4I-I

Jul 7, 2011
Stuttgart
AW: Ubuntu OS

If anybody has made a booting/partially working ubuntu rom id like to try it!

It doesnt have to be a daily i would just like to play with it for a while... Thanks! ;)

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
Developer preview lol

No daily until consumer preview

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using Tapatalk 2

kriout

May 10, 2012
i have no skills in this, but if someone has and is curios about making a port i found this link that can guide you in the process ... of course the system is still unusefull so there is no real matter of spending time in a port that does not work :p

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

Last edited:

Matsca09

Feb 22, 2013
I'm uploading the image if someone want to test Ubuntu, but it's big so it might take some time.

Last edited:

jojoost

Jan 8, 2012
If someone could upload a flash able zip, I would like to test as well! Although ai can't give you a logcat...

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
No need for logcats in ubuntu.... we have aport it will report it to launchpad and they will fix it!

Sent from my Nexus S

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

I'm uploading the image if someone want to test Ubuntu, but it's big so it might take some time.

As long as you share do a new thread in development section also.. is it up yet :p

Sent from my Nexus S

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Porting guides will available tomorrow:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting

I will be working on a port for the Nexus S so stay tuned, you guys won't be left in the dark.

Tom
    I know its coming, I will just sit here and wait for ubuntu roms for this phone.
    I will be working on a port for the Nexus S so stay tuned, you guys won't be left in the dark.

Tom

I'm working on a port too. For now I'm able to boot into the GUI, but it's laggy ( I can't get powervr modules to load, even with the relative service ), RIL works (you can make calls but there's no sound) but the camera doesn't work at all.
    It's not a good start, but it's a start :D
    I'm working on a port too. For now I'm able to boot into the GUI, but it's laggy ( I can't get powervr modules to load, even with the relative service ), RIL works (you can make calls but there's no sound) but the camera doesn't work at all.
    It's not a good start, but it's a start :D

I recently bought a nexus s just to work on a port for ubuntu phone. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but due to the midwest snow storm it was not. I'll be working on this as soon as it get here and would love to work with anyone else that plans to as well.

Should get the phone today hopefully. :good:
    There comes a point in time when a manufacture has to move on. Nexus S with 4.2 is slow as hell and laggy and trips over its own feet most of the time. 4.1.2 was pretty much the same story. Most were surprised it even got Jellybean in the first place as we were calling this phone slow and outdated on ICS. It's two years old.. In technology that equals about 20 years. I'm nearing the end of my two year contract on this phone and can't wait to move my phone plan off it. I honestly never use it except for a phone anymore as my Nexus 7 is my work horse. The only way to enjoy this handset is get something light like RasBean and don't load it up with persistant apps.. CM 10.1 is complete joke on it and I honestly think they're wasting their resources developing for this phone still. Just my opinion.

It's a legendary device and labored on far longer in active development than it should have.

then you need to check your settings, tweaks, kernel, etc. I'm getting amazing performance from 4.2!! ICS was a little slow, but 4.1 jb fixed all of that. I had some problems with vanilla, untouched aosp but when I started tweaking it and got a good solid kernel installed, everything was as it should be. If it can be done with roms, kernels and tweaks available to me on this website, it should be able to be done by the aosp team.....i'm just saying.... ;)