Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 38,778 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T Nexus S - Insane battery drain for no apparent reason?

Tip us?
 
krt41
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burbank
Default [Q] AT&T Nexus S - Insane battery drain for no apparent reason?

I have had this Nexus S for nearly two years and recently I ran into an issue with the battery draining BIG TIME for no apparent reason. With any sort of use, the phone will die in 1-2 hours. If it sits by idly doing absolutely nothing, it will go from 100% to dead in ~6 hours.

It is bone stock - never been rooted. It's running on 2.3.4 GB at the moment. I have completely wiped it and set it to factory default. There are no apps installed, no accounts synced up but the drain continues. I even swapped it with a brand new battery and it still does this. Would anyone happen to know what I can do to fix the issue? The phone does have a few scuffs but it has never been severely dropped or gotten wet. It seems to have just started doing this on it's own.

This is the phone after a 100% charge and full wipe. It put it next to me and did not touch it at all. It was down to 50% after about 4 hours.
 
superng888
Old
#2  
superng888's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 62
Posts: 341
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kuching
Default Re: [Q] AT&T Nexus S - Insane battery drain for no apparent reason?

Its time for a new battery bro

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
 
DavRoc
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt41 View Post
I have had this Nexus S for nearly two years and recently I ran into an issue with the battery draining BIG TIME for no apparent reason. With any sort of use, the phone will die in 1-2 hours. If it sits by idly doing absolutely nothing, it will go from 100% to dead in ~6 hours.

It is bone stock - never been rooted. It's running on 2.3.4 GB at the moment. I have completely wiped it and set it to factory default. There are no apps installed, no accounts synced up but the drain continues. I even swapped it with a brand new battery and it still does this. Would anyone happen to know what I can do to fix the issue? The phone does have a few scuffs but it has never been severely dropped or gotten wet. It seems to have just started doing this on it's own.

This is the phone after a 100% charge and full wipe. It put it next to me and did not touch it at all. It was down to 50% after about 4 hours.
I'm no expert, but it looks like you don't have WiFi connected, and from your picture it appears that your cell signal is so weak that its only intermittently connected. When the cell radio has to work that hard constantly to maintain a connection, it will drain the battery very quickly.

On the other hand, if you're stock and unrooted, the phone should be prompting you to update the OS to 2.3.6, then 4.0.4., then 4.1. Any of those may cure whatever is currently ailing it.
 
krt41
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 13
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burbank
Quote:
Originally Posted by superng888 View Post
Its time for a new battery bro

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
I have already tried another battery bro. I said that in my original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavRoc View Post
I'm no expert, but it looks like you don't have WiFi connected, and from your picture it appears that your cell signal is so weak that its only intermittently connected. When the cell radio has to work that hard constantly to maintain a connection, it will drain the battery very quickly.

On the other hand, if you're stock and unrooted, the phone should be prompting you to update the OS to 2.3.6, then 4.0.4., then 4.1. Any of those may cure whatever is currently ailing it.
I have checked, there are no updates. I think AT&T pushes them out. The phone is stuck on 2.3.4 either way.

There is no SIM card in it. It is not looking for a network at all. True, WiFi is turned on but I seriously doubt that it would drain battery from 100% to 0% in a matter of hours with the screen totally off.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes