Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 43,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bricked Device

Tip us?

nexuspb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bricked Device

Hey,

I'm quite new to this. Anyways, I found an old Nexus S lying around in my house. My brother claimed he tried to put a custom rom on it years ago and it bricked.

I was wondering if it is unbrickable, i've been searching for countless hours and no luck.

The phone doesn't turn on.
It isn't recognized by the computer when i plug it in. (i might not have the drivers idk)
It heats up if I attempt to charge it.

I don't know if it is possible to unbrick ?

RemeCA
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexuspb View Post
Hey,

I'm quite new to this. Anyways, I found an old Nexus S lying around in my house. My brother claimed he tried to put a custom rom on it years ago and it bricked.

I was wondering if it is unbrickable, i've been searching for countless hours and no luck.

It isn't recognized by the computer when i plug it in. (i might not have the drivers idk)

How hot does it get when you charge it? It should get pretty warm, but not hot to the touch. If the battery is still good, try using Wugfresh's Nexus Root Tool (google it, can't post outside links yet), that will let you do anything you need without having to manually use ADB or flash through recovery. It will walk you through installing the correct drivers the first time you run it, then do Flash Stock + Unroot from the main screen, with the soft-bricked/bootloop option selected. Follow the prompts, it will download all the stock ROMs and stuff and install them for you. If that doesn't work, it might be irreversibly bricked.

smit.sanghavi
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Hey,

One possible test is that if the soft key buttons light up at all, it is not yet bricked.
Get some logs from here before spamming threads with "It doesn't work !!!"

nexuspb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeCA View Post
How hot does it get when you charge it? It should get pretty warm, but not hot to the touch. If the battery is still good, try using Wugfresh's Nexus Root Tool (google it, can't post outside links yet), that will let you do anything you need without having to manually use ADB or flash through recovery. It will walk you through installing the correct drivers the first time you run it, then do Flash Stock + Unroot from the main screen, with the soft-bricked/bootloop option selected. Follow the prompts, it will download all the stock ROMs and stuff and install them for you. If that doesn't work, it might be irreversibly bricked.

Hey, the nexus device isn't detected by the computer nor the nexus root tookkit.

Is there anything else i should do?

nexuspb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smit.sanghavi View Post
One possible test is that if the soft key buttons light up at all, it is not yet bricked.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing lights up at all, its like a rock. Nothing works.

RemeCA
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing lights up at all, its like a rock. Nothing works.
You could try a new battery, they're like $5 on ebay. With a new battery, and if it doesn't enter fastboot after charging (hold power and volume up) then it would seem to be truly bricked.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You may also want to try a different cable, if the battery is dead and the cable isn't carrying a charge it would have the same effect as being totally bricked.

nexuspb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeCA View Post
You could try a new battery, they're like $5 on ebay. With a new battery, and if it doesn't enter fastboot after charging (hold power and volume up) then it would seem to be truly bricked.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You may also want to try a different cable, if the battery is dead and the cable isn't carrying a charge it would have the same effect as being totally bricked.
I'm certain the battery works. I heard jtaging it will unbrick it, but it cost like $40 to jtag it which isn't worth it since phone isn't even worth $40

ej8989
Old
Thanks Meter 410
JTAG is the only way to check if it will still work. The only other option is the resurrector mod which involves desoldering and soldering microcomponents on the main board.
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: Mahdi 2.7 [4.4.4]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control
Root / Unbrick / Return to stock: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Dead
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Speedmod Kitkat 4.4.2

nexuspb
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej8989 View Post
JTAG is the only way to check if it will still work. The only other option is the resurrector mod which involves desoldering and soldering microcomponents on the main board.
I want to try resurrection mod, however, a few of the images are gone from the thread