Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Bricked Device

OP nexuspb

9th July 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Hey,

I'm quite new to this. Anyways, I found an old Nexus S lying around in my house. My brother claimed he tried to put a custom rom on it years ago and it bricked.

I was wondering if it is unbrickable, i've been searching for countless hours and no luck.

The phone doesn't turn on.
It isn't recognized by the computer when i plug it in. (i might not have the drivers idk)
It heats up if I attempt to charge it.

I don't know if it is possible to unbrick ?
9th July 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #2  

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexuspb

Hey,

I'm quite new to this. Anyways, I found an old Nexus S lying around in my house. My brother claimed he tried to put a custom rom on it years ago and it bricked.

I was wondering if it is unbrickable, i've been searching for countless hours and no luck.

It isn't recognized by the computer when i plug it in. (i might not have the drivers idk)

How hot does it get when you charge it? It should get pretty warm, but not hot to the touch. If the battery is still good, try using Wugfresh's Nexus Root Tool (google it, can't post outside links yet), that will let you do anything you need without having to manually use ADB or flash through recovery. It will walk you through installing the correct drivers the first time you run it, then do Flash Stock + Unroot from the main screen, with the soft-bricked/bootloop option selected. Follow the prompts, it will download all the stock ROMs and stuff and install them for you. If that doesn't work, it might be irreversibly bricked.
9th July 2014, 07:35 AM   |  #3  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 139

413 posts
More
Quote:

Hey,

One possible test is that if the soft key buttons light up at all, it is not yet bricked.
9th July 2014, 06:00 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeCA

How hot does it get when you charge it? It should get pretty warm, but not hot to the touch. If the battery is still good, try using Wugfresh's Nexus Root Tool (google it, can't post outside links yet), that will let you do anything you need without having to manually use ADB or flash through recovery. It will walk you through installing the correct drivers the first time you run it, then do Flash Stock + Unroot from the main screen, with the soft-bricked/bootloop option selected. Follow the prompts, it will download all the stock ROMs and stuff and install them for you. If that doesn't work, it might be irreversibly bricked.

Hey, the nexus device isn't detected by the computer nor the nexus root tookkit.

Is there anything else i should do?
9th July 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smit.sanghavi

One possible test is that if the soft key buttons light up at all, it is not yet bricked.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing lights up at all, its like a rock. Nothing works.
9th July 2014, 08:34 PM   |  #6  

9 posts
Quote:

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing lights up at all, its like a rock. Nothing works.

You could try a new battery, they're like $5 on ebay. With a new battery, and if it doesn't enter fastboot after charging (hold power and volume up) then it would seem to be truly bricked.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You may also want to try a different cable, if the battery is dead and the cable isn't carrying a charge it would have the same effect as being totally bricked.
9th July 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeCA

You could try a new battery, they're like $5 on ebay. With a new battery, and if it doesn't enter fastboot after charging (hold power and volume up) then it would seem to be truly bricked.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You may also want to try a different cable, if the battery is dead and the cable isn't carrying a charge it would have the same effect as being totally bricked.

I'm certain the battery works. I heard jtaging it will unbrick it, but it cost like $40 to jtag it which isn't worth it since phone isn't even worth $40
11th July 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 441

1,296 posts
JTAG is the only way to check if it will still work. The only other option is the resurrector mod which involves desoldering and soldering microcomponents on the main board.
11th July 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej8989

JTAG is the only way to check if it will still work. The only other option is the resurrector mod which involves desoldering and soldering microcomponents on the main board.

I want to try resurrection mod, however, a few of the images are gone from the thread

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread