Ask a question

No registration required

Broken screen, need to retrieve files off phone! help please

OP CodeRed071

31st March 2012, 03:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

25 posts
My screen first cracked and then the LCD completely went now... I have files I need to retrieve off the phone. It is rooted and running some ICS build... I believe the phone is in USB debugging mode, the screen still 'works' I can unlock the phone but nothing is displayed on the screen. Possibly someone could help me out with the adb process for pulling the contents off the /sd

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, thank you for your time.
31st March 2012, 03:41 AM   |  #2  
Huntington, WV
Thanks Meter: 236

1,034 posts
More
ur usb mass storage should still work. can u just plug ur phone to a usb port and get things off the phone ?
31st March 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
As previously stated. I believe the phone was in USB debugging mode. And now the screen is completely black... impossible to navigate to where i need to be.
31st March 2012, 04:18 AM   |  #4  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 469

1,108 posts
More
You'll need adb setup on your computer, and you'll need to cd your way into the folder with adb.exe. Forgive me for hotlinking, but this will make it easier: Download this file, courtesy of NexusSHacks.com (I believe it is Zedomax around here). I would advise to unzip the contents in this file to your C:\Nexus directory, so that adb.exe is at C:\Nexus\adb.exe.

Now, plug in your phone. Open your start menu and search for "cmd" and open up Command Prompt. This is the basic Windows CLI (Command Line Interface).

First, you'll need to open the directory of the Nexus folder you created earlier. To do this, type in the command prompt:

Code:
cd C:\Nexus
Now, you want to make sure adb sees your phone:

Code:
adb devices
The adb service should start and if it sees your phone it will pop up a serial number. If there is no serial number, you can't use adb while inside android and you'll need to tick the option or find an alternative way. Assuming it finds your device, you are good to go.

In order to copy the /sdcard folder of your Nexus S, you will use the pull command. We will throw all of the files into C:\Nexus\sdcard, for reference. So in the command prompt, type:

Code:
adb pull /sdcard .\sdcard
It looks a little confusing but don't stress. Just make sure you type it in exactly (dot, correct slash, etc). This will take a little while since it might transfer up to ~15GB worth. You'll see a new line with "C:\Nexus>" with a flashing cursor when it is done. Then you can view all the contents of your sdcard at C:\Nexus\sdcard and do with them as you please.

Also note, for this you'll need up to ~15GB of free space on your C:\ partition, make sure you have this before you start. Good luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harbb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2012, 01:42 AM   |  #5  
Flag StL MO -USA
Thanks Meter: 76

437 posts
Donate to Me
More
old post I know, but I just dropped my Samsung Captivate (rooted with debugging on) and internal screen cracked (gorilla glass is perfectly fine!), so I am in the same boat. After DAYS... actually DAYS of trying everything from every forum I FOUND A FIX!!!

Now admittedly, I am unsure which of these two (or both) fixed the issue, but here is what I did:

via Google Play's online "shop", I installed "Auto Mount Your SD Card" by JRTStudio (admittingly, unsure if this did anything as I cannot verify if it installed or anything via the phone)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...XV0b21vdW50Il0.

then I DL'ed MoboRobo and after a few frustrated phone reboots, usb cable connections and much cursing IT CONNECTED!
http://www.moborobo.com/

I am currently DLing all my files from my broken phone!
I had to pass this along as I said... NOBODY seems to know about this as it has taken me DAYS to do this! Not even ATT (Current carrier) nor Spring (whom I am switching to in a month or so) could help me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flawedlegacy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2012, 04:38 AM   |  #6  

1 posts
You save my life with that "moborobo". Thank you very much.
4th July 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #7  
Flag StL MO -USA

437 posts
Donate to Me
More
Glad I could help!!!
4th July 2012, 04:21 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 47

258 posts
Thanks went to both of u, quit important piece of knowledge.
One question; r u downloading "moborobo" on ur Android, on your pc or on both of them?
5th July 2012, 03:09 PM   |  #9  
Flag StL MO -USA

437 posts
Donate to Me
More
just on PC, not needed on the phone unless you want to go via WiFi
23rd July 2012, 03:31 PM   |  #10  

30 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbb

If there is no serial number, you can't use adb while inside android and you'll need to tick the option or find an alternative way.

What do you mean by this?

My adb service doesn't detect my phone, I used Droidzone's tutorial. I believe usb debugging needs to be on for adb to work, which in my case is useless cause my screen is broken so can't turn on usb debugging.

This is what happens:

---------------------------

C:\>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\>

---------------------------

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

^when I say broken, I mean the whole screen is distorted, I cannot see anything

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, broken, screen, sd card
Previous Thread Next Thread