Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,623 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What should I be excited about in my next Nexus device?

Tip us?

ddb540
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] What should I be excited about in my next Nexus device?

I've had my Nexus S since official launch day in late 2010. I still love it. I've been mildly tempted to replace it with the Galaxy Nexus a few times.

I'm somewhere in the middle between amateur and power-user. I enjoy rooting my device and installing custom roms, but I don't go beyond that. Also, once I find a rom that works well for me, I generally keep it for several months or more.

I'm trying to figure out what is potentially on the horizon that I should find exciting in the mobile device world - any thoughts? I'm asking more about things that actually improve my daily use of the phone. Right now, I have email and calendar push-sync (important for work), fast web browsing pretty much anywhere I go (typically getting 3-6Mbps anywhere I am), and can easily stream movies and music. What could I ask for that would actually improve my phone experience?

1. Bigger screen - obviously has its ups and downs - for me wouldn't make any positive impact.
2. Higher resolution - this is cool, and was one of the main reasons I was tempted by Galaxy Nexus, but again, wouldn't actually make any difference to me. I don't have any interest in gaming on my phone, beyond Angry Birds or Cut the Rope-type games.
3. Better camera - always nice, but for my use, the camera on Nexus S is more than adequate.
4. Faster data speeds - wouldn't help me at all. As long as I can stream TV and movies (which I already can), I have no need for anything faster, particularly if batter life is impacted.
5. Updated OS - this is probably what would tempt me most, due to my incessant need to always run the newest software available. Not sure what actual improvements it will have, though...

I guess my point is, I look at the latest and greatest devices out there (GS3, OneX, etc.), and I think to myself, "If I had that device, what benefits would I have compared to my Nexus S". And honestly, I can't think of a single one.

Any thoughts!

Thanks!
DDB

LG Nexus 5 - bought 11/2013
Samsung Nexus 10 - bought 11/2012

Previously owned Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (1st-generation), Nexus 7 (2nd-generation) and Samsung Chromebook (WiFi, 11.6")

eudennis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think almost the same as you. Thinking about change my Nexus S, but it make almost everything I need already. If I change, it's only too see something new, hehe.

ddb540
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I think part of this speaks to how great the Nexus S is. In nearly 18 months of bigger screens, dual-core and quad-core, higher resolution, bigger batteries, LTE, etc., I've barely even been tempted to switch. I think that Google pushing out ICS to the Nexus S so early was a huge "lift" to my deciding to hang onto it for so long.
DDB

Previously owned Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (1st-generation), Nexus 7 (2nd-generation) and Samsung Chromebook (WiFi, 11.6")

Gambler_3
Old
(Last edited by Gambler_3; 30th May 2012 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 147
The nexus S has a more compact design and better audio both from speaker and headphones. The camera isnt better on the galaxy nexus, only video recording is. The screen is higher resolution but has so many horror stories about it. I personally didnt like the colors that much on the galaxy nexus especially the whites which were the worst I have ever seen on an AMOLED screen. But apparently there are good and bad screens of galaxy nexus so maybe I saw the bad one.

The most tempting thing for me is dual core CPU and 1GB ram, 2 areas where the nexus S is notably behind now and it really does enhance smartphone experience to have dual core CPU and more ram. And obviously it will get updates faster in the future provided the nexus S gets anything at all which it may not after 4.0.4.

The galaxy nexus also looks so damn epic, one of the best looking android phones for sure. And textured plastic back >>> glossy plastic anyday.

The disappointing parts of the galaxy nexus for me are,
- screen is not as good as reviews would have you believe
- speaker sound is disastrous
- Not much of an upgrade in GPU from nexus S, just higher clocks
- too big

I suppose since you are an i9020 owner it would be easier for you to switch to galaxy nexus since you are used to SAMOLED screens. I have an i9023 and just love the SC-LCD on it, the galaxy nexus screen seems like too many compromises for those infinite blacks.

cplovero
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default same dilemma

Same issue as me, not sure whether I should upgrade or not. I've always been a "nexus behind" in that I held onto the N1 when the NS came out and only bought the NS when the GN came out. It's been cheaper for me since I had to pinch money in college.

Now that I have a job and income, I'm really tempted to finally catch up and buy the GN even though I'm extremely satisfied with my NS...
Current Mods
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: AOKP, Trinity Kernel
ASUS Nexus 7 Tablet: Paranoid Android

Device History
Phones: T-Mobile MyTouch3G -> HTC Nexus One -> Samsung Nexus S -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Tablets: Barnes and Noble Nook Color -> ASUS Nexus 7

ddb540
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler_3 View Post
The most tempting thing for me is dual core CPU and 1GB ram, 2 areas where the nexus S is notably behind now and it really does enhance smartphone experience to have dual core CPU and more ram. And obviously it will get updates faster in the future provided the nexus S gets anything at all which it may not after 4.0.4.
For "daily driving" of web browsing/email/calendar/movies/music, how does dual core CPU and more RAM make a difference? Maybe faster app switching, smoother OS performance?
DDB

Gambler_3
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb540 View Post
For "daily driving" of web browsing/email/calendar/movies/music, how does dual core CPU and more RAM make a difference? Maybe faster app switching, smoother OS performance?
Web browsing can max up nexus S ram pretty quickly which causes lag and launcher redraw on exit. Web browsing is perhaps the biggest advantage of dual core and 1GB ram especially if you like to use desktop versions.

There can be serious lag in doing anything when an app is being updated in the background I had to turn off automatic update for that and I think the single core CPU might be to blame for that.

With more ram you can run more third party apps that have background services. The ram is perhaps the biggest limitation of nexus S. It's almost impossible to play games smoothly when you are online on skype because it eats so much ram.

And lastly there are a few games now which lag on nexus S and I believe again the ram or CPU are to blame for that as we have very good GPU for our resolution.

But when it comes to screen and sound, nexus still holds its own against the new phones and provides a very satisfying multimedia experience.

I am personally still thoroughly satisfied with nexus S overall and will wait for the next nexus phone(or series of phones) to come.

ejatds
Old
(Last edited by ejatds; 31st May 2012 at 01:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 734
happy with my nexus s, but if I had the chance and was able to afford it, I'd ditch it for the GS3 any day

why i want to upgrade:
1. more RAM, power.
---------- DEFINITELY something I found myself always wanting while watching videos on the browser.
---------- Annoying waiting for important apps such as dialer/camera to load up.

2. larger, hd screen. (especially for watching videos; something i do often)

3. camera

al_madd
Old
Thanks Meter 154
I also just wait for next nexus this december..

Buying galaxy nexus seem not worth it for me..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Samsung Nexus S I9020T
LG Nexus 4
(GUIDE) Broken Power Button??No problem...

jayjay3333
Old
Thanks Meter 1067
I agree about waiting on the next Nexus release. I really like my NS still and I skipped out on the Galaxy Nexus. Now that we know a SERIES of Nexus's ( :what: ) are coming I'm definitely holding out. The S3 sounds great but the new Nexus line may out shine that later this year.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium
Nexus 5
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 Kit Kat with Xposed
Kernel: Stock (Mar 17) 3.4.0
Baseband Version: M8974A-2.0.50.1.16
Bootloader Version: MAKOZ30d
Build Number: KTU84P
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.1

Nexus⁴
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 Kit Kat with Xposed
Kernel: Stock (Apr 16) 3.4.0
Baseband Version: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1701.03