[Q] facebook sync fix for ics

OP mannas

8th December 2011, 03:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 2

79 posts
More
Is there any way to fix it without using third party apps?
8th December 2011, 03:33 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 76

624 posts
More
Another one with the same problem. Even a third party app would be fine for me... Any suggestion?
8th December 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #3  
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 380

606 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evcz

Another one with the same problem. Even a third party app would be fine for me... Any suggestion?

Its not broken. The Official Facebook application doesn't support Android 4.0 just yet so you will not be able to sync your contacts to your device. The only method is to use third party applications. I use Friendcaster Pro and it works really well.

Unfortunately, Till Facebook adds compatibility to the official application... you will not see your contacts sync to your device
8th December 2011, 03:45 PM   |  #4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 25

149 posts
More
Nope, the issue is between Google and Facebook, so we won't see contact sync fixed until Google and Facebook make an agreement or until a custom ROM fixes is. I forget the whole story, but I think Facebook doesn't use Android's contact API so when you sync Facebook contacts with your phone they all stay with Facebook and aren't stored locally on the phone. If you uninstall Facebook all your Facebook contacts go to. Google doesn't like that FB doesn't let you control and keep your FB data on your phone so they revoked Facebooks access to the API.

EDIT: heres an article about it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/g...id-only-nexus/
Last edited by red_skittles; 8th December 2011 at 03:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to red_skittles For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th December 2011, 03:55 PM   |  #5  
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 380

606 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_skittles

Nope, the issue is between Google and Facebook, so we won't see contact sync fixed until Google and Facebook make an agreement or until a custom ROM fixes is. I forget the whole story, but I think Facebook doesn't use Android's contact API so when you sync Facebook contacts with your phone they all stay with Facebook and aren't stored locally on the phone. If you uninstall Facebook all your Facebook contacts go to. Google doesn't like that FB doesn't let you control and keep your FB data on your phone so they revoked Facebooks access to the API.

EDIT: heres an article about it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/22/g...id-only-nexus/

You sorta proved my point. More or less its not compatibility with Android 4.0 but its the Nexus S. Once again Facebook will have to upgrade the application in order to make it compatible with the Nexus S. Only difference between what I said is instead of Android 4.0 its for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus

Quote:

Facebook contact data will continue to appear within the Facebook app. Like all developers on Android, Facebook is free to use the Android contacts API to truly integrate contacts on the device, which would allow users to have more control over their data.

8th December 2011, 04:16 PM   |  #6  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 25

149 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuske

You sorta proved my point. More or less its not compatibility with Android 4.0 but its the Nexus S. Once again Facebook will have to upgrade the application in order to make it compatible with the Nexus S. Only difference between what I said is instead of Android 4.0 its for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus

Facebook never updated the app on Gingerbread. Facebook sync was included in custom ROMS because developers enabled it. Nothing to do with official support from Facebook. Until Google and Facebook sort this out, vanilla Android won't support contact sync, unless Facebook starts using the regular contact API
8th December 2011, 04:59 PM   |  #7  

624 posts
More
Friendcaster is not allowing me to login (whitepage)... Is it really compatible with ICS?
9th December 2011, 05:24 AM   |  #8  
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 49

545 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evcz

Friendcaster is not allowing me to login (whitepage)... Is it really compatible with ICS?

i would also like to have this verified, hehe, before i spend the $5 for this app!

def would like to see some sync action to my ICS rom... having no pics on the contact face is hard!
9th December 2011, 09:42 AM   |  #9  
sp.fork, ut
Thanks Meter: 1

67 posts
try syncmypix
try syncmypix, works good for facebook pics
The Following User Says Thank You to yellathcir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2011, 12:32 PM   |  #10  

624 posts
More
Thanks! This worked