Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[BIG FAQ] Nexus S General [Start Here before Clicking New Thread!] ** OUTDATED **

OP unremarked

25th December 2010, 02:54 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
Just a bit of info for Nexus S users, if you use Google Sky Maps,the accelerometer locks,and a reboot is needed to free it. I thought my phone was faulty at first!
25th December 2010, 03:25 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 3

80 posts
I am currently on 2.3. And I was thinking of updating to 2.3.1 but can someone please explain is it safe and stable??? And pls someone explain what are the actual updates in 2.3.1 over the 2.3.0. I have heard that there is improvement in browser (like less lag in scrolling etc.) Is it as smooth as iphone? Can someone confirm it? And should i go for the update?
25th December 2010, 05:28 PM   |  #23  

25 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporran

Just a bit of info for Nexus S users, if you use Google Sky Maps,the accelerometer locks,and a reboot is needed to free it. I thought my phone was faulty at first!

Hi!

I just subscribed to the forum to report the exact same issue.

As I'm a brand new android owner (and besides, a foreigner) I didn't know how/where to report bugs. I hope I came to the right place?
25th December 2010, 05:34 PM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member
Out There
Thanks Meter: 190

882 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby_blue

Hi!

I just subscribed to the forum to report the exact same issue.

As I'm a brand new android owner (and besides, a foreigner) I didn't know how/where to report bugs. I hope I came to the right place?

This is a good a place as any. If you want to file official bug reports with Google, though, you should go here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Tested and confirmed the issue with Skymaps and the accelerometer. Killing the task has no effect and only a reboot will release the accelerometer. Added to known issues, thanks guys!
Last edited by unremarked; 25th December 2010 at 05:39 PM.
25th December 2010, 06:56 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unremarked

Can't say that I have. Are you talking about missing apps, or are you getting some kind of error message?

I just cant download, I think its more a wifi problem. The status bars are green but it says there is a network problem and I can't download from the marketplace.

It did work for a bit yesterday but today it stopped working again
26th December 2010, 06:01 PM   |  #26  

25 posts
got another one but unsure as if it's been there in previous versions either:

voice recognition (not voice search) doesn't work in French. It only recognizes voice input in English even though the welcome text prompts me to try some sentences in French:

Quote:

Exemples:
"Appeler Thomas Durand"
"Appeler Thomas Durand la maison"
"Appeler la messagerie vocale"

Or maybe I need to setup an additional voice recognition engine?

Voice search works perfectly though...
26th December 2010, 06:21 PM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 148

1,116 posts
Two recurring issues for me (and it seems others) are that the ringtones change themselves (especially after rebooting or plugging USB); and pictures in Gallery can sometimes disappear.
26th December 2010, 06:56 PM   |  #28  
OP Senior Member
Out There

882 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain

Two recurring issues for me (and it seems others) are that the ringtones change themselves (especially after rebooting or plugging USB); and pictures in Gallery can sometimes disappear.

I've noticed the former myself yesterday, but not the Gallery stuff. Do you mean custom ringtones or even the pre-installed ones?
26th December 2010, 07:03 PM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 148

1,116 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unremarked

I've noticed the former myself yesterday, but not the Gallery stuff. Do you mean custom ringtones or even the pre-installed ones?

Custom - as in, MP3s I've put onto the USB storage. I'm not sure if it's true with the pre-installed ones. Do you experience it with the pre-install ones? Luckily it's easy to recreate, so I'll test it now. I can recreate the issue by plugging/unplugging the USB storage, or rebooting the phone - after both these actions, the phone always changes the assigned ringtones.

By the way, this issue was reported to Google here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13413. Anyone who is experiencing random ringtone changes, please visit the link and star it so more attention is brought to Google; hopefully which will get fixed in a future update.

Will report back in a second regarding the pre-installed ones.
26th December 2010, 07:31 PM   |  #30  
OP Senior Member
Out There

882 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain

Custom - as in, MP3s I've put onto the USB storage. I'm not sure if it's true with the pre-installed ones. Do you experience it with the pre-install ones? Luckily it's easy to recreate, so I'll test it now. I can recreate the issue by plugging/unplugging the USB storage, or rebooting the phone - after both these actions, the phone always changes the assigned ringtones.

By the way, this issue was reported to Google here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13413. Anyone who is experiencing random ringtone changes, please visit the link and star it so more attention is brought to Google; hopefully which will get fixed in a future update.

Will report back in a second regarding the pre-installed ones.

Yep, same thing here with the custom mp3 ringtones. But only when the USB is plugged in. Just tested, mine stays on reboot with no USB plugged in, but of course loses it whenever the USB is plugged in.

My thinking is that Android is "prepping" the SD partition, in a sense, for mounting so it's de-linking(for lack of a better term) itself from things on the partition. The same thing happens on a phone with a real SD card if you were to actually mount it, though typically the link(again, lack of a better term) is restored on unmount.

The Nexus S seems to have a premature eja--errr "mounting" issue.

EDIT: Does not seem to happen with the pre-installed ringtones, so perhaps a workaround would be to push custom tones to the system partition.
Last edited by unremarked; 26th December 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread